Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 21-08-14, 06:40   #4751
fondantcookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivaneiroX View Post
is it possible for them to make a kickstarter to finish this?
Oh god I WISH...! I'd deffo pay into this... :-)

Anyone think that would be doable? I'm guessing not since Eidos/square own the TR rights.

BOO

I still dont get why they didnt let them finish and release it...if only as a digital title. Meh

EDIT. Just saw this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
No. First off, Tomb Raider and Lara Croft are owned by Eidos, as is TR1's story. Secondly, all the work that was done on the TRAE was paid for by Eidos. They can't just use that in their own projects. And last but not least, I'm pretty sure the engine the game was running on was sold to Rebellion with Core Design so they'd have to license the engine from Rebellion... if Rebellion even agreed to do that. They could form a Kickstarter to create a new game with a new character based on the classic TR gameplay and atmosphere. But that could not be a close remake of any of the previous TR games.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited by fondantcookie; 21-08-14 at 07:05.
fondantcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-14, 11:31   #4752
dcw123

OK so I got the basic geometry in NGLE working fine..
Having difficulties UV mapping in meta though.

Tried to apply my texture onto the top of the temple (the ''triangle'' roof)
and no matter how I mess around with it - looks horrendous lol
Think I'm gonna have to simplify the meshes and practice more.. but I'm definitely getting better at modelling..

Its a shame lighting in Meta isn't that great though..
Still, determined to give this a shot.

Practice makes perfect right..

EDIT: The only way fans can play this, is if someone recreated a 'faithful' remake in NGLE (using Meta2TR and high res objects of course)
I just wish a team of talented people (can think of a few here who are pretty good at modelling and texturing) could get behind that.
It'd be a big task, but imagine the end result..

Last edited by dcw123; 21-08-14 at 11:33.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-14, 13:03   #4753
totec

I always wanted recreate the core anniversary with the level editor, but I'm afraid that I don't have the skills needed.
totec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-14, 17:06   #4754
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivaneiroX View Post
is it possible for them to make a kickstarter to finish this?
Square Enix starting a kickstarter for this? Wouldn't that sort of be abusing the kickstarter system? A huge company like that...?
I think the only hope is if Square/Crystal realizes that they have potential profit on their hands. If not too much work remains to complete this game then I think it would have a good chance of being profitable. Releasing it for Tomb Raiderīs 20th Anniversary also makes a lot of sense. To be honest, the 20th anniversary is the first time it actually makes sense releasing this game as well. If they had done it, say three or five years ago, it would have been too close to TRA. Now they have every opportunity and I hope they see that.

Quote:
And last but not least, I'm pretty sure the engine the game was running on was sold to Rebellion with Core Design so they'd have to license the engine from Rebellion... if Rebellion even agreed to do that. They could form a Kickstarter to create a new game with a new character based on the classic TR gameplay and atmosphere. But that could not be a close remake of any of the previous TR games.
Surely they wonīt need the same engine?
As long as they have all the assets then couldnīt they simply use those same assets in a modern engine like Unreal, Unity or even Crystals own Foundation(?) engine? A modern engine may make it easier for them to create the game for modern platforms as well (and even add in some more advanced stuff if they want to)?

Last edited by Trenton; 21-08-14 at 17:55.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-14, 19:16   #4755
dcw123

Okay... modelling is too hard for me. Got the nice round steps and UV working fine.. but since TRAE shots were limited, I'm finding it hard to make the cave rock walls look convincing.
Also. Meta2tr wouldn't convert the mesh in the end, making the whole 2 days working on this pointless and a waste of my time..

I think its because I'm working on multiple rooms all at once (it loads the entire level) rather than .. say just making objects one at a time and texturing them..
I think this may be the way to go..
Urghh..

The problem is that I only used NGLE for basic collision (straight walls instead of intricate cave rocks) thinking I could just delete them and use shapes to create a new high res wall... big mistake, as I had nothing to work off.

I guess I'll have to really make it as close as I can in NGLE and then touch up the finer parts later .. Lesson learnt lol

Anyone want a cheap giggle... have a look at this mess. I tried.. LOL

EDIT 2 : OK .. recreating the bridge/ships room from Caves (with the viking long boats in the ice, where Lara swings across it)
Got the NGLE room pretty close, so gonna texture and Meta that - fingers crossed this one will look better

Last edited by dcw123; 21-08-14 at 20:35.
Old 21-08-14, 22:00   #4756
SrDanielPonces

Good Luck !
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-14, 10:42   #4757
dcw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
Good Luck !
Hehe .. has taken me like an hour just to build that little viking boat, but the room is coming along nicely..
Old 22-08-14, 20:29   #4758
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
Surely they wonīt need the same engine?
As long as they have all the assets then couldnīt they simply use those same assets in a modern engine like Unreal, Unity or even Crystals own Foundation(?) engine? A modern engine may make it easier for them to create the game for modern platforms as well (and even add in some more advanced stuff if they want to)?
Theoretically speaking, sure. But they'd have to completely reprogram all of Lara's moves, the camera, the puzzles (well, the ones which already had been programmed at the time of cancellation) from scratch if they did that. And I'm also still pretty sure that, even if they still had the assets (which ajrich says they don't), they wouldn't be allowed to use them because they're still owned by Eidos. It's work they did as Eidos employees so that work belongs to the company.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-14, 21:25   #4759
Trenton

Quote:
Theoretically speaking, sure. But they'd have to completely reprogram all of Lara's moves, the camera, the puzzles (well, the ones which already had been programmed at the time of cancellation) from scratch if they did that. And I'm also still pretty sure that, even if they still had the assets (which ajrich says they don't), they wouldn't be allowed to use them because they're still owned by Eidos. It's work they did as Eidos employees so that work belongs to the company.
Yeah, but Eidos was bought by Square so surely Square owns it now? So I don`t see the problem? Iīve been saying all along that Square are the ones that needs to make this happen. No one else can as no one else owns the rights to TR.

And I understand that transferring all assets to a new engine will require extra work in terms of animation and programming, but as it seems from the screenshots and gameplay vids a lot of modelling has already been done. I mean, compared with making a new game from scratch then wouldnīt this be cheaper and require less manpower to complete?
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-14, 21:43   #4760
Drone

Building TRAE from scratch would make more sense now. They got level design, concept art, sounds, music, (not sure about dialogues, don't remember whether they recorded all the lines with Jonell Elliott or not) and they can upgrade textures. But models, engine and geometry should be built from the ground up.
Drone is offline   Reply With Quote