www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 07-06-17, 23:36   #161
Grimaldi
Student

^Completely agree, especially about the music.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 23:49   #162
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

There were some lovely areas.... Mexico in particular suited me (rainy and grey... *shivers*) but I also like Thailand and being in the caves near the octupus. And wherever it was where we rode the hammers.

But I found it too straightforward mostly and a bit of let down in places. For example - in the Arctic sea with those huges structures underneath........... we should have done more with that. It was so impressive to look at but gameplay wise very limited "depth" to it. I would have loved to have raised the structures from under the water and done something with them.

And in Mexico, we should have climbed up those beautiful pyramids I could see in the background. It was so disappointing not to climb up to the little room like structures at the top and peer out over the whole landscape....... Or check out the stars in the sky as it went dark as a puzzle to unlocking something.

And then Avalon itself.

I think they'd have done better by not having Natla and the Doppleganger too. Amanda and Lara working their way through (a completely different) Avalon together as enemies needing each other would have worked better for me.
Old 08-06-17, 16:43   #163
JACOBryanBURNS
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post

I think they'd have done better by not having Natla and the Doppleganger too. Amanda and Lara working their way through (a completely different) Avalon together as enemies needing each other would have worked better for me.
LOVE that idea. That's a theme I wish Tomb Raider has utilized all along (Both CORE and CD)... that we had to work with an enemy very hand-in-hand.
Old 10-06-17, 17:08   #164
NathanDrake
Hobbyist

It was a good game
NathanDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 18:38   #165
ThatSassyKid
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepsipax View Post
I think Underworld is hugely underrated. The levels are well designed and feel like updated Classic TR. The music is stunning; sure, I'm not humming them after, but they're atmospheric and lush and brilliant. The game is so beautiful and vibrant, too; even the darkest levels like Jan Mayen Island have bold, striking contrasts. The art direction is exceptional, and every scene looks organic.

My only drawbacks are the meh story and the copypasta ship level, but that still doesn't damage the game much for me. It's wonderful.
Okay, that's cool and all, I even enjoy the music, myself. However, what impact do music and art design have, when it comes to a game actually being a good game?
Old 10-06-17, 19:25   #166
Grimaldi
Student

What makes a game good is different to everybody. Some people find strong art design and music make the experience enjoyable, therefore good.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 12:11   #167
Ashnod
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
Okay, that's cool and all, I even enjoy the music, myself. However, what impact do music and art design have, when it comes to a game actually being a good game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
What makes a game good is different to everybody. Some people find strong art design and music make the experience enjoyable, therefore good.
Grimadi has it pretty much spot on.

If you are defining a good game by the mechanics of the game and the challenge of mastering those mechanics to the player vs. the environment and enemies of the setting, then I can think of perhaps one franchise I love that meets this qualification.

And it's not Tomb Raider, nor has it ever been Tomb Raider. And even that franchise has a strong design, setting, and other intangibles like humor.

I play most video games largely for the experience of visiting these fictional settings and becoming part of it. The mechanics of the game, its systems, etc, are just a means for me to interact with them. Which is not to say that I expect a game to be without a challenge - anyone who has talked to me long enough knows that I will usually complete a game on its hardest setting at least once - but at this point there is rarely joy for me in mastering the twitch reflexes, pixel-perfect timing, etc of a system. I'm not in competition with anyone but myself, and honestly, I'm not spending my free time trying to master through repetition the systems of game I'm probably going to put down a handful of weeks after I beat it the first time.

The appeal to a game for me, then, is going to come from the other elements. Narrative. Character. Soundtrack. Visual Design. Setting. Sense of verisimilitude.

Last edited by Ashnod; 12-06-17 at 12:12.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote