www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 30-10-18, 18:25   #21
Maverin
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by \Tomb Raider/ View Post
I would suggest globe trotting if only the myths can all connect to their locations somehow. I don’t want to be in Egypt looking for an Incan relic...just an example.

I would perfect the climbing animations and have lara be able to traverse the world in different ways like assassins creed. Just make it very difficult to get to the entrance of the tombs. Keep the white paint away!
Basically this + adding vehicles and a larger arsenal. We have 4 basic weapons with many many customizations for each of them, but I just love collecting different weapons.

Tomb Raider 3 is the perfect example in terms of which features could be added in a modern and updated way. More guns, more verhicles, different locations and settings, more diversity in enemies = more fun
Old 30-10-18, 20:42   #22
Megalith
Relic Hunter

*A new grid-based engine with consistent and precision based platforming.

*Cel-shaded graphics.

*Remove button prompts and QTEs.

*Remove anything that is scripted and/or automatic.

*Remove XP and skill system.

*No difficulty settings and "tailorings."One hard setting for everyone.

*Keep the combat as it is but keep it to a very minimum (like 50 human enemies maximum)

*Bring back classic Lara.

*Add globetrotting.

*keep the story minimal.
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-18, 22:45   #23
Aikon
Historian

For me it's quite simple:
- gameplay variety, exploration and the godlike level design of Deus Ex, Dishonored, Prey.

- confident, alone, not-a-world-savior, truly morally grey Mrs.Croft.

- coherent storytelling like Nier Automata or The Witcher.

- no more drama.

- no more skill tree and RPG stuff.

Last edited by Aikon; 30-10-18 at 22:46.
Aikon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-18, 23:47   #24
Swiz19
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I often hear people say that the franchise needs a change from the standard formula, but it's rare to hear actual suggestions.
I don't think that's true at all... There's definitely an outcry for the games to be better written, more consistent and/or a lot lighter with more comical elements. Some of that sarcasm brought over from classic Lara.

Me personally, I think the games definitely need to add a bit more of that sarcastic humour, have some of that Lara Croft-cockiness brought back but in a way that doesn't make her a super hero. A small, off-the-top of my head example is if Lara stumbles after performing a graceful move, instead of lying in agonising pain (Like reboot Lara) and saying how it hurts, she just simply remarks 'Well that didn't go to plan. You can do better than that, Lara'. More eye-rolling and poking fun at herself. Something to that effect.

I love the gameplay of Shadow (bar the constant crawling in crevices) and would like to see it stick around, but we need more freedom with our movement. Instead of auto crawling, have a crouch button. Instead of only being able to dive when there is water, let us dive anywhere. Bring back some of that freedom the earlier games gave us. Also, simply more confident and acrobatic moves. I'm not talking ridiculous over the top moves, but certainly a lot more stylistic than what we got in reboot. Something that represents experience, confidence and athleticism.

I like the game being somewhat set in realism and having darker, grittier tones, but I'd like more mythical creatures being brought in, stories involving ancient gods, etc. Just make the stories more bombastic and exciting, rather than trying to remain just above the line of realism.

Lastly, the puzzles. Again, I loved all the improvements in Shadow, but there needs to be more diversity. The wall running was severely underused. Have levers set high up on a wall that we have to use the grapple hook to get to (think the intro scene in Tomb Raider 1 with the button above the door). More underwater activity/puzzles, etc.

Also, vehicles, globe trotting with different biomes, optional dual pistols, backpack, braid and actual alternate outfits that looks good - and one with shorts.

Last edited by Swiz19; 30-10-18 at 23:54.
Swiz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-18, 06:16   #25
leomage
Historian

The three replies from Portugalraider, Alterjano, and Samz on the first page pretty much covered everything I want to say.

Creating a sense of exploration is the most important part of a Tomb Raider game imo, and for whatever reason they seem to be struggling with that. Players are more excited by the big open fields with cows in RDR2 than they are by the ancient tombs and mythical monsters in SotTR. That's not good.

I like these suggestions:
  • environmental storytelling
  • intricate exploration, maybe "3D puzzle-based Metroidvania", maybe open map packed with hidden areas.
  • locations that attract all gamers not just TR fans
  • varied enemy types that require the player to study and adapt
  • challenging but rewarding puzzles (including riddles)
  • completely reimagined platforming and traversal (multiple ways to go about this but consistency in controls is key)
  • a fully fledged Lara Croft with nothing to prove
  • cinematic storytelling that encourages others to care about Lara and her adventures the way we do
Edit:
  • a game that would still be fun and appealing if the main character wasn't Lara Croft

I really appreciate that they haven't given up on the franchise yet. I know it must be frustrating trying to appeal to a new audience while appeasing us older fans. But I think they need to bring in some fresh ideas, maybe new people. Despite how dramatic of a reboot TR2013 was, and the significant changes/improvements since then, the franchise is still feeling stale in many of the same ways as it was in 2008.

Last edited by leomage; 31-10-18 at 06:25.
leomage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 06:46   #26
RAID
Tomb Raider

I would go back to the roots completely. Formula from the PS1 days with complex level design, mazes, puzzles, no hints, etc.
Old 06-11-18, 11:02   #27
killchan
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomage View Post
Creating a sense of exploration is the most important part of a Tomb Raider game imo, and for whatever reason they seem to be struggling with that. Players are more excited by the big open fields with cows in RDR2 than they are by the ancient tombs and mythical monsters in SotTR. That's not good.
because in Shadow you just walk and pick stuff up. no point in that.
also I don't remember mythical monsters worth mentioning in SotTR.

anyway. in RDR2, yes, you walk around and stuff, but because you know something is going to happen, and also you get quests all the time, of more often than not you get stuff to shoot.

in the classic Tomb Raider games, exploration wasn't a time waster.
it came with a challenge and the same time you needed to explore in order to overcome the main, mandatory challenge which simply put was the good old "beat the level".

problem being, that kind of gameplay doesn't really appeal to the caual audience. many of them will just ignore the game unless you give them a Story™ with NextGen Graphics™ and a Realistic, Relateble (in many aspects) Character™, not to mention they will just ragequit the tutorial if you don't give 'em a "heeelp I'm loooooooooost!! " button.

Last edited by killchan; 06-11-18 at 11:04. Reason: typo
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 18:24   #28
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomage View Post
But I think they need to bring in some fresh ideas, maybe new people. Despite how dramatic of a reboot TR2013 was, and the significant changes/improvements since then, the franchise is still feeling stale in many of the same ways as it was in 2008.
I don't want to be overly gushing but I could detect a difference in approach in Shadow that gives me hope. Despite being very much a reboot game and so in some sense complying with the formula, they did create a better sense of intracacy in the environments and a better sense of exploration and of peril in some of the platforming.

I would like to see what EM can bring to the table with a freer hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan
in the classic Tomb Raider games, exploration wasn't a time waster.
it came with a challenge and the same time you needed to explore in order to overcome the main, mandatory challenge which simply put was the good old "beat the level".
This perfectly describes me experience of the old TRs too. More emphasis on this kind of exploration in places would add to the gameplay if done right I think. And I feel little bits of Shadow were attempts to trial this........ I think there's room to bring some of this back to TR provided there is balance.
Old 09-11-18, 03:19   #29
RodneyMac12
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
*A new grid-based engine with consistent and precision based platforming.

*Cel-shaded graphics.

*Remove button prompts and QTEs.

*Remove anything that is scripted and/or automatic.

*Remove XP and skill system.

*No difficulty settings and "tailorings."One hard setting for everyone.

*Keep the combat as it is but keep it to a very minimum (like 50 human enemies maximum)

*Bring back classic Lara.

*Add globetrotting.

*keep the story minimal.
Minimum enemies is fine by me lol. I can't tell you how many times I sighed every time I was thrown into a gun fight in Rise. I would like enemies be it creatures, ancient people guards, ghosts, or just regular people in tombs. Big tombs make the game feel like they're part of the story (very much so in Shadow) which is awesome.
Old 09-11-18, 04:44   #30
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

I wouldn't completely minimize the enemy count. If TR can make the combat interesting then I wouldn't mind fighting a lot of humans. Lets not forget the action part of the game. One thing shouldn't take priority over the other. It's no secret that Shadow didn't have that much combat and that was a huge complaint.