www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 09-11-18, 03:22   #421
RodneyMac12
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by veigafd View Post
Idk nothing about gaming progamming and stuff, but why and how sometimes devs let some deleted/alternate things in the code of the game?! This happens a lot in other games actually
I had the same question when I first viewed this thread. I thought "Why would they keep this in the codex knowing that someone will eventually find it?" Maybe it isn't easy to delete codes or whatever idk. But I would have made sure this one didn't somehow slip through to the final game lol.
Old 09-11-18, 03:50   #422
Isaac
Relic Hunter

Itís easier to leave something in the data files than to delete and risk a domino effect.
Isaac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 04:28   #423
RodneyMac12
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Itís easier to leave something in the data files than to delete and risk a domino effect.
So does that mean that the braid went far into development? Or was it just too risky to delete because of all the files that were created after it?
Old 09-11-18, 04:56   #424
matrix54
Tomb Raider

Depending on how the feature was programmed, the game may be calling the model at some point when it loads, or it may be referenced somewhere in the code, and removing this could cause the game to crash. That, or there could be a list of hardcoded assets that are called in a certain order, like:

0 - No Hair
1 - Ponytail
2 - Braid
3 - Young Lara Ponytail

If you remove the braid, the item 3 becomes 2.

0 - No Hair
1 - Ponytail
3 - Young Lara

If the game is forced to call item 3, and it doesnít exist, he game could crash. This applies to other thing, like calling things in a certain order:

17 - Handgun Ammo
18 - Shotgun Ammo
19 - Rifle Ammo
20 - Panther

Imagine removing item 19. Item 20 becomes 19. Therefore, whenever you try to spawn rifle ammo, you spawn a panther.

Thatís only a general example of video games. It could very well to a case of flat out laziness.
Old 09-11-18, 06:13   #425
MuruCoder
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veigafd View Post
Idk nothing about gaming progamming and stuff, but why and how sometimes devs let some deleted/alternate things in the code of the game?! This happens a lot in other games actually
It's bad planning for the most part and the fact that multiple people are involved makes things harder to keep track of. There's also the fact that memory is plenty nowadays so many devs don't care if their apps are bloated. In older times programmers sometimes did weird tricks to fit programs in the storage medium but nowadays I wouldn't be surprised if a 40GB game had actually 20GB of unused data included.
Old 09-11-18, 10:08   #426
PaNtHERA
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
As much as I love reboot Lara, this Lara puts her to shame so much omg like sit down girl I'm the real one
I couldn't have said it any better. She Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
We are already partially there. The Rise version of AOD skin was the most graphically detailed. The shades, especially reacting to light.

They could make it happen if they wanted to, Rise with AOD skin in Syria looks quite similar.

My god, possibilities.
Thanks for the link Full image looks amazing.

Let's pray for it. After almost 15 years, AOD Lara still is able to change the climate of the game. We saw it in Rise, It was amazing. If producer will desing Lara like re-image of AOD Lara then all the discussions will end. What makes a game "Tomb Raider" is Lara Croft, her iconic look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAu1alECKu8
PaNtHERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 10:17   #427
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaNtHERA View Post
Let's pray for it. After almost 15 years, AOD Lara still is able to change the climate of the game. We saw it in Rise, It was amazing.
When you turn the volume down anyway I guess...

Can't argue with wanting Lara to look like Lara as well as act and speak like her though, I agree.
Old 09-11-18, 11:00   #428
Avalon SARL
Relic Hunter

AOD Lara was so pretty; so is Legend Lara as she was also based and inspired on her.

The change from braid to ponytail in TRL also never made sense to me.

Till today actually Lara Croft is known to have a braid hairstyle among non gamers (AJ movies)
Old 09-11-18, 11:40   #429
cephasjames
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
Very confused as to why they deleted this? You know what, I can KINDA see why they removed the Natla letter ending. It alludes that this is going to lead into the classic universe but in a modern way and they may be steering away from that and keeping with fresh idea's. But the braid and pistols I just don't understand why we can't have them. They even put them in the game just to take them out again!

That braid would have looked perfect on Shadow Lara.
I'll let you answer your own questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
It alludes that this is going to lead into the classic universe but in a modern way and they may be steering away from that and keeping with fresh idea's.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 11:44   #430
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post
AOD Lara was so pretty; so is Legend Lara as she was also based and inspired on her.

The change from braid to ponytail in TRL also never made sense to me.

Till today actually Lara Croft is known to have a braid hairstyle among non gamers (AJ movies)
It never bothered me in itself, it was one such small change that I consider it trivial in Legend. People generally do change up their hair and don't wear it the exact same way every day anyway, especially women.

I'm more bothered by Reboot Lara overall because, in her case, it's so many "trivial" small changes that build up to a character who is no longer recognisable as Lara to me.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 09-11-18 at 11:47.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote