Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 06-07-17, 14:46   #11
Blue_light

I like the platform challenge, and it all should be kept, but needed some side rooms between each challenge, just to add some more stuff to do.
Blue_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 14:48   #12
Opaque79

Side rooms could have been good. May have made it closer to the original
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 18:54   #13
tomee

The combat was okay. As was most of the platforming except for, if I remember correctly, the third sequence where you had to use 3 swinging poles and turn around. For some reason it gave me a great deal of frustration on first playthrough.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 11:51   #14
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_light View Post
I like the platform challenge, and it all should be kept, but needed some side rooms between each challenge, just to add some more stuff to do.
Yes, that would've been much better. And make the shaft wider, just like in the original.

The platforming section is only hard because of the bugged wall run. You've to pray to rngesus that Lara will behave normal and react how she should be instead of jumping to the wrong side and messing up the platforming.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 12:00   #15
Opaque79

It's even worse if you like earning achievements or trophies - one of them requires completing the central shaft without dying once. Evil.
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 18:25   #16
TonyLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
That pretty much says it all...

While I appreciate a challenge for seasoned gamers, I suppose it is something of a design flaw to have such a difficult section in a game, followed by much easier gameplay further on. I mean when I first played this game, ten years ago, I was stuck for weeks at the pyramid shaft but once I overcame it I completed the rest of the game in half an hour or so...
When first playing it in 2007, I think it took me 40+ times to make it up that shaft. That was terrible playing on my part. Also, I never did like having to do those 90 degree jumps while doing a wall run on the pc. I could not get it right with 100% consistency.
TonyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 19:23   #17
Blackmoor

When I first played (PS2) I struggled with one of the timed platform runs. Enough that I dreaded the thought of replaying the game a few years later, wholly for that reason.

I felt sure I'd never make it again. And then I played it and walked that bit easily and wondered why I'd ever struggled with it in the first place.

Still, it's ingrained in my mind from god knows how many attempts.... retracting ledge, flying creature shooting fireballs, then grapple out the poles and begin the timed run, jumping, swinging, wall-running........

But mostly: the retracting ledge and flying creature shooting fireballs. Aaarrgh.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 19:36   #18
Nigel Cassidy

I know everybody hates the concept of optional tombs: but this is exactly what optional tombs should be used for: to provide a good challenge for seasoned gamers to pull their hair out at, while the casual gamers skip it and move on to the finish.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 20:58   #19
Blue_light

^I don't think it's the concept itself, but more the whole puzzle-exploration element that was such a huge focus on the main series for most of its life being shoved away as optional, while the main campaign focuses mostly on combat, and not much else.

On the other hand: Yes! I thought of something like this a few days ago, while watching a Kingdom Hearts LP, and how JRPGs tend to have optional super hard secret bosses. Tomb Raider could have used some special challenges like that.
Blue_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 21:29   #20
Blackmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
I know everybody hates the concept of optional tombs: but this is exactly what optional tombs should be used for: to provide a good challenge for seasoned gamers to pull their hair out at, while the casual gamers skip it and move on to the finish.
Yes, I don't mind optional tombs at all - I mean, TR always had optional areas (secrets) - and like you say, it makes sense to put the truly nightmare-ish bits in the optional areas (although I still think we should be challenged in the main game).

I just don't like that the "optional tombs" are currently used to stuff away gameplay that resembles the older, more exploratory and puzzling gameplay style, when it should be in the actual main game.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 07-07-17 at 21:30.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote