Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 09-04-17, 19:38   #221
Blackmoor

^Fair points and truly, I hear you. But I think we have to remember that the purpose of this forum is not to give feedback to the developers. It is a community that exists for people with similar interests to express opinions, etc, get to know each other and most importantly I would say is - feel a sense of belonging.

I know the developers may look in here, and so it indirectly may serve as an opportunity to be heard by them too, but that's not it's primary purpose.

I say that because I don't want personally to always be productive or positive......... I want to be me. Warts and all.

At work I have to be professional and analytical and be constructive and business-like........ this is my free time to get away from all that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelphoenix
Good points (as always).
Thanks, and likewise.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 19:38   #222
JsotoTRSaga

I love Legend, It's got an unique charm. There's something special about it, everytime I give it a replay I enjoy it. It's almost like playing in the movie TR world mixed with the classic Lara's world. Lara looked modern, the environments were fresh, we didn't revisit any location. The game feels like it should, as an attempt to refresh the series. I often feel like TR1 Lara is a lot like LAU Lara, however; TR2-TRAOD Lara is quite different from LAU Lara, personality wise that is. It isn't much of an issue to me as it is for some personally.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 09-04-17 at 19:40.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 19:57   #223
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
^Fair points and truly, I hear you. But I think we have to remember that the purpose of this forum is not to give feedback to the developers. It is a community that exists for people with similar interests to express opinions, etc, get to know each other and most importantly I would say is - feel a sense of belonging.
Yeah that's true. I'm not complaining about what other people do here, mind you, I'm just saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
I love Legend, It's got an unique charm. There's something special about it, everytime I give it a replay I enjoy it.
I hear that. I don't even like the gameplay all that much; I think it has aged very poorly. But it just has that certain 'je ne sais quoi' that makes it so charming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
I often feel like TR1 Lara is a lot like LAU Lara,
That's something you don't hear every day
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 20:04   #224
Blackmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
Yeah that's true. I'm not complaining about what other people do here, mind you, I'm just saying...
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 20:19   #225
ancientIo

Core's games can actually get pretty dark and they were actually very realistic to the terrain of their chosen locations when they could be but the mystical aspects in Core games were front and center. They weren't afraid to put stuff out there, so even when things are dark, there's still color, there's still that sense of wonder. Were Crystal's games ever so macabre as a talking corpse hanging from a tree? That's the kind of thing that creates atmosphere.

Crystal's games are supposed to be more grounded story-wise, so it just feels a bit dreary without that edge that supernatural elements gave it. Lara still runs around tombs but with less crazy stuff going on and the levels are just designed differently. Even when they remade TR1 it just...wasn't the same mixture of nature and supernatural.

Last edited by ancientIo; 09-04-17 at 20:26.
ancientIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 20:27   #226
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientIo View Post
Were Crystal's games ever so macabre as a talking corpse hanging from a tree?
There were cases with dead bodies moving around, some of them pretty significant too. Lara's mother, Atlantis gods, Himiko and all of the undead enemies. LAU and even Reboob series are just as plain when it comes to magic and myths. Actually personally I think it's not a good thing, as I would love a more indirect approach.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 21:20   #227
Wooxman

The way Crystal implemented supernatural elements in the LAU trilogy was pretty weird. I always had the feeling that they actually wanted to explain in all detail what was going on but then didn't explain anything at all. Core just showed us stuff, more often than not even without a cutscene to introduce it. And that's what made their supernatural and mythic elements interesting while Crystal introduced every new enemy that isn't a human or animal in a cutscene and makes everything feel more important than it is which in the end leaves the player (at least in my case) pretty unsatisfied.

And I'm sure that there're people who just hate the TR games after AoD because they were made by a different developer. Some Halo fans also hate the new Halo games because they aren't made by Bungie anymore, even though some former Bungie employees work for the new Halo developer studio 343i.

I only can speak for myself, but if Tomb Raider Legend, as it is, would've been made by Core instead of Crystal, then I'd probably dislike it even more since that would mean that Core didn't finish the AoD story and completely changed the gameplay of the series. With a new developer I can understand that the story and gameplay will be different, though.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-17, 03:19   #228
ancientIo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
There were cases with dead bodies moving around, some of them pretty significant too. Lara's mother, Atlantis gods, Himiko and all of the undead enemies. LAU and even Reboob series are just as plain when it comes to magic and myths. Actually personally I think it's not a good thing, as I would love a more indirect approach.
Supernatural enemies/entities always seemed like props rather than something that guided the story. The reboot barely had supernatural elements in it besides the end.

The thrall/mother scene in Underworld is shocking, but when you look at Amelia she's more disgusting than creepy.

We have almost no exposure to Himiko besides people talking her up. She was actually very doll like if you even got a good look at her and most importantly, she didn't do anything. So intellectually I knew she was dangerous but I wasn't disturbed or concerned.

Goddess!Natla never really hit a nerve with me. She's actually sort of pretty in her Atlantean form, and she's pretty much the same Natla just vaguely amphibian. She's not even a corpse necessarily.

I think part of what's scary about the talking corpse is that you didn't know what was going to happen when he started talking. It catches you by surprise and it's a morbid image. For all you know, he could turn out to be hostile. You genuinely don't know what's happening but it feels supernatural and mysterious.

As Wooxman said, they wanted to explain but they didn't so while they feel ridiculous they don't have the same element of surprise.

Last edited by ancientIo; 10-04-17 at 03:21.
ancientIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-17, 09:52   #229
TR-Freak
Unverified

Core didn't care about realism, And that's what I like.
Have a corpse hanging on a tree? Pls drink tea with it!
Have a weird Fishie under the Mill? Let's take a swim!

Without explaining ****, the creatures were creepy and to this day the Mummies in TR1 scare me because they jump silently around corners
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-17, 15:32   #230
Nigel Cassidy

It's not as if it was only Core who did that: Crystal D came up with a flying ghost monster, a sea snake, a gigantic frogfish and a Tyrannosaur made of lava.

It's called setting your imagination free. It's just that Treboot refuses to do that, it keeps it's imagination shackled and tries to be all serious and important. With horribly boring results...
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote