www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 16-07-18, 04:03   #1
Zreen001
Professor

Default What would a playable "Chasing Natla on a Bike" have been like?

In TR1, Natla drives off with the Scion after Lara escapes into the river; subsequently, Lara motorbikes her way to Natla's boat.

After Legend's bike segments, I was thinking about whether CD would use something like those bike segments into the Anniversary part to chase Natla. Instead we just got a cinematic like in the original.

While I'm fine with it being a cinematic (it's not even a QTE), I always wondered what kind of bike level CD could've done for chasing Natla... what do you guys think?
Old 16-07-18, 17:03   #2
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

That would have been an interesting idea, as visually it would have looked great

Unfortunately technically the way the 'bike pursuit' cutscene is setup, is that it is cut into segments of roads to suit the flyby camera views of the cutscene, and is not a continious road.

See map of the roads below.
(tombviewer picture of the cutscene from high altitude. I have highlighted the roads in black)....

Some visuals of my video.....

My video of Lara in TRA cutscenes, bike pursuit is at seven minutes into the video.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3YV0ikUvu4

Last edited by The Great Chi; 16-07-18 at 17:09.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-18, 18:10   #3
NoahCrofRaider
Professor

I was just thinking about that on my recent replay of Anniversary. I would have loved a playable bike chase segment, especially considering that I enjoyed the ones in Legend.
Old 16-07-18, 20:14   #4
Legends
Tomb Raider

Come to think of it they should have made that part playable.
Legends is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-18, 20:48   #5
Samz
Professor

I guess it would have been like a Legend bike level but without the guns.
Old 16-07-18, 22:15   #6
Legends
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
I guess it would have been like a Legend bike level but without the guns.
Yes, with some cool jumps. What made the Legend's bike levels so annoying were the non-stop shooting. If they removed that it might have been fun.
Old 18-07-18, 00:11   #7
laralives
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Come to think of it they should have made that part playable.
There was an article somewhere that stated that they had considered it, but for one reason or another they decided against it. I think it may have had to do with the feedback/reception that they got from the Legend bike levels.
Old 19-07-18, 14:59   #8
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

If you do get into the 'Bike Pursuit' cutscene using the cheat engine as shown in my video above, unfortunately there is no solid road or ground anywhere in the level, unlike some other cutscenes like the Atlantis Island/boat scene that do have some solid ground.

So Lara has to stay on the fly cheat at all times, or fall out of the bottom of the map

Otherwise, if the roads had been solid, I could have put a motorbike into the 'Bike Pursuit level' and had Lara drive the different sections of road in the level.

Pity, as this will never happen, as there are too many limitations to modding TRL, TRA and TRU levels, compared to the classic TR games (TR1 to TRC).

Last edited by The Great Chi; 19-07-18 at 15:00.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-18, 16:08   #9
Zreen001
Professor

The decision to make it a cutscene rather than playable was likely early in development, hence why everything is sectioned off for its own cinematic purpose (like cinematics tend to be when fully viewed by a single camera). If it were meant to be playable, I imagine it'd be more solid.
Old 19-07-18, 16:16   #10
Legends
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by laralives View Post
There was an article somewhere that stated that they had considered it, but for one reason or another they decided against it. I think it may have had to do with the feedback/reception that they got from the Legend bike levels.
Maybe it was a good decision then. I didn't mind them too bad (the bike levels in Legend) at the of release, but whenever I replay the game I hate those levels. They improved the bike a lot for Underworld, so they could have made it work, just wish a few adjustments, and it didn't have to be very long.

Anyway, interesting to know.