Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Technical Support

Old 15-02-17, 18:38   #1
HecticBartoli

Default Game Capture to record Nintendo 64 games

Hey guys.

I've finally had all my Nintendo 64 games delivered to my house, and I practiced a lot on two of the games I played, however, playing games isn't enough for me, as I'm thinking about becoming a YouTube gamer.

I'm inspired by a lot of gamers who put on lot of efforts with their commitments towards their best interests, I was going to name them, but I will only ask you guys a question: Is it possible to buy a game capture to record N64 games without a computer?

Feel free to reply to me as soon as possible, thank you.
HecticBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-17, 21:51   #2
ThatSassyKid

Hey there! Take a look into this and do some research as I know this supports retro gaming consoles - N64 included
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-17, 23:14   #3
HecticBartoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
Hey there! Take a look into this and do some research as I know this supports retro gaming consoles - N64 included
Damn! I didn't know it supports retro consoles, it looks promising, definitely gunning for that, but it says it requires Mac and Windows, so I'll give it a miss for now, but if I change my mind, I'll give it a shot , living with OCD is a b**** sometimes.
Old 16-02-17, 05:20   #4
ThatSassyKid

Ahhh, shame you could always have a look at the EasyCAP, but I don't know a great deal about it
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-17, 09:47   #5
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HecticBartoli View Post
Is it possible to buy a game capture to record N64 games without a computer?
Doing it completely without involving a computer complicates things a lot, but there are workarounds for sure.
I assume that if you buy a device that's splitting the analgoue video/audio signals out from your N64 into two identical video/audio signals then you can connect one signal into your TV and the other signal into some standalone analogue video capture device that's recording to SD cards.
Then when you're done capturing you insert that SD card into your tablet or phone or whatever you plan to use in order to edit or upload to youtube.
So yes, it should, in theory be possible to do all of this without a computer.

But honestly, while a video splitter is likely to cost very little, the standalone capture device is likely to cost some money. And then you need the extra cables and SD card.
It's less expensive than buying a computer and capture card, but if I were you I'd rather wait a little longer and save up some more money for an inexpensive computer and a capture card. It's a more convenient and better solution in the long run I think, plus the computer can be used for other stuff as well so it's a better investment.

One other possible solution is getting a DVD player that has analogue in and is capable of recording onto recordable DVDs. In which case you should be able to hook up your N64 to the DVD recorder and record the gameplay onto DVDs. Then you can rip those DVDs onto your computer afterwards. Should be pretty inexpensive these days. Of course you'll need a computer to rip those DVDs afterwards and edit/upload to youtube.

If you already have an Android based smartphone or tablet you could look into playing N64 games through emulation I think (at least with playstation 1 games there are emulation apps available for Android) and then screenrecord from your device.

I hope this was of some help and not too confusing. I'm sure there are other methods too.

Last edited by Trenton; 16-02-17 at 09:53.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-17, 19:47   #6
HecticBartoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
Doing it completely without involving a computer complicates things a lot, but there are workarounds for sure.
I assume that if you buy a device that's splitting the analgoue video/audio signals out from your N64 into two identical video/audio signals then you can connect one signal into your TV and the other signal into some standalone analogue video capture device that's recording to SD cards.
Then when you're done capturing you insert that SD card into your tablet or phone or whatever you plan to use in order to edit or upload to youtube.
So yes, it should, in theory be possible to do all of this without a computer.

But honestly, while a video splitter is likely to cost very little, the standalone capture device is likely to cost some money. And then you need the extra cables and SD card.
It's less expensive than buying a computer and capture card, but if I were you I'd rather wait a little longer and save up some more money for an inexpensive computer and a capture card. It's a more convenient and better solution in the long run I think, plus the computer can be used for other stuff as well so it's a better investment.

One other possible solution is getting a DVD player that has analogue in and is capable of recording onto recordable DVDs. In which case you should be able to hook up your N64 to the DVD recorder and record the gameplay onto DVDs. Then you can rip those DVDs onto your computer afterwards. Should be pretty inexpensive these days. Of course you'll need a computer to rip those DVDs afterwards and edit/upload to youtube.

If you already have an Android based smartphone or tablet you could look into playing N64 games through emulation I think (at least with playstation 1 games there are emulation apps available for Android) and then screenrecord from your device.

I hope this was of some help and not too confusing. I'm sure there are other methods too.
Thanks for the advice, Trenton. I'm more than happy to wait and save up loads of cash and what not, recording gameplay footage of one of my wrestling games on Nintendo 64 might not be such a good idea as far as I'm concerned that I end fail time after time, the other game will be a good choice as as it's difficulty effective and revolves around whoever plays it. That game is WCW/NWO Revenge. The bad idea game is WWF No Mercy which isn't one of the best games made for the N64, but it does have more stuff to do than WCW Revenge. I'll let you guys when I pick something to record. Emulators aren't my thing as tend to screw up in ways.