www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 18-02-17, 07:52   #11
Wolfeinsamer
Hobbyist

Quebsenuef.
without Senet can pass the through the hatch!
Wolfeinsamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-17, 15:24   #12
fallenangle
Archaeologist

The problem for me with the Senet game was that it is very difficult to lose ie. its fixed.

The losing route is actually more interesting and when I re-played TR4 (on PC) a few months ago I tried, actively, to mess it up and still won three times in a row.

The Underneath The Sphinx puzzle is that there isn't actually much of a puzzle. The dead explorer's 'scrap of paper' is supposed to be a clue but I can't work out what it actually helps you with. Apparently nobody else seems to know either.

The lever puzzle is just random until you open the gate to the room which does have the coloured gem lever combination clues. Even then there is no indication in the room with lots of scarabs which symbol is dangerous and which contains the thing you want or other useful collectibles. So what's the point of the explorer's note?

For me that is where the game could have improved that as a puzzle area: make it a proper intellectual one rather than, initially, what it is: trial and error.

In I think its Street Bazaar there's another lever non-puzzle too which always looks to me like they gave up on it. You have to pull all the levers to get everything anyway so why is there a lever code partially hidden at the top of the building?

There is lots of stuff like this in TR eg. TR3 Tinnos start area switch puzzle. Five switch and the sequence is simply trial and error. I've tried to see a logical reason for the sequence based on the symbols on each switch and nothing makes sense. It is just another trial and error puzzle; the hieroglyphic symbols are just decorative and redundant.

Like the TR4 one described it could have easily been made properly cerebral by having clues which mean something, even give you an advantage. ie. it avoids releasing the annoying hornets or scarabs in the case of TR4.

Last edited by fallenangle; 18-02-17 at 15:31.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-17, 16:32   #13
Scottlee
Relic Hunter

I don't remember the specifics of the Senet puzzle, but I certainly don't think TRLR needed any more dragging out. I still grimace at how long those planets took to push around the floor in whatever level it was.
Old 19-02-17, 07:56   #14
Wolfeinsamer
Hobbyist

fallenangle.
i mean. without Senet can pass the other way due to the secrets!

means. you find it difficult pass the puzzle Underneath Sphinx?
Old 19-02-17, 14:06   #15
fallenangle
Archaeologist

No, its not that difficult completing Underneath The Sphinx not knowing anything and that's very much the point I was making.

First time I played through the game I didn't even realise there were hidden clues to the switch combinations to open the various gem location gates. I think I went through the trap room three times and lost loads of health in the process. I didn't understand the 'puzzle' at all but blundered my way through it easily enough.

The reason for that is you have only three switches and five gates you need to open. Five of the six possible switches combinations have to be used anyway.

What you can't possibly know is that the key puzzle is you must open the correct gate first ie. before the game will let you open the other four essential gates with alternative combinations.

You have a one in six chance of opening the clue room but because there is no clue to the combination almost the whole puzzle is reduced to just trial and error.

Whether you did or did not find the clues you will probably end up confused about why the combinations you probably tried before now open other gates.

But that confusion really doesn't matter because all but one combination you put in after that will either reset the puzzle or open an essential gate.

As I said the puzzle could have been made better simply by giving the hieroglyphs some real purpose.
Old 20-02-17, 06:13   #16
Wolfeinsamer
Hobbyist

fallenangle.
so and there is need to properly press button in alphabetical symbols begins the alphabet from A to R. eg. A-I-R and so on.
it is necessary to know the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs.
only then can you pass all the puzzles exit from Underneath Sphinx.
Old 20-02-17, 14:08   #17
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Are you saying that the explorers scrap of paper actually has some purpose and pressing the switches in alphabetical order will open the clue room?

If so I wasn't aware of that and plenty of other people aren't either and the most frequently used guide:-

http://tombraiders.net/stella/walks/...dersphinx.html

describes the clue as "obscure" but does seem to confirm your explanation.

It points out that even then the clue doesn't make any sort of sense as regards the specific hieroglyphs, which is my main issue with the puzzle. The Western alphabetical order couldn't have been known to the ancient Egyptians because it didn't exist.

If they'd used the hieroglyphs representing a numerical order instead 1, 2, 3 it would have been better. You could then have had clues in the scarab filled room to which were the dangerous alcoves ie. hieroglyphs representing odd or prime numbers for releasing scarabs or something along those lines.