Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tutorials and Resources

Closed Thread

Old 27-03-14, 18:21   #1
DJ Full

Default Bottom Right Corner Pitch-Black Blink: Where Is The Line

I accidentally reached the lower bottom (NE) corner of the map and the screen started to blink pitch-black. Many builders said this place is buggy, I always knew it - but I realized it's unknown how far EXACTLY one can go without causing the bug. One of those days of weird research, I entered that cursed sector and started to sniff around...

Ah... yes, it was during a BtB session so I got everything censored Anyway, after several hours spent on looking for pitch-black blinking, wherever I noticed any, I raised a floor triangle towards the bottom right (NE) corner of the map. If that wasn't enough to cut the square off the buggy zone, I replaced a triangle with a full wall. This way, I formed a line of squares You can safely reach without seeing the bug, and here are the exact coordinates (the picture is expandable):

For a rule determining these coordinates, You can examine the line shape from the above. It's not straight, but a bit curved:

so if we could extend the editor workspace, we would likely get a full circle, radius about 125 (127?) squares and center at x:0 y:0. The engine apparently refers to the map origin all the time, no matter where Lara is.

I first tested the line at the floor elevation of 0. When I then raised or lowered the test by 100 clicks, The Line moved few squares towards the map origin - so we can guess the buggy sector is a sphere rather than a flat circle, and we only can see its small fragment in the infamous map corner the editor workspace allows us to reach.

As in, the general tip is: if You really HAVE to build anything playable in that particular corner, stay as close to 0 elevation as possible - that will give You even two dozen more squares than You would get if reaching heights or depths in there. Of course any inaccessible zone can still be built as far into the right bottom corner as possible, because as long as Lara doesn't stand in there, she can enjoy the sight and the bugs won't appear.

Last edited by DJ Full; 27-03-14 at 18:30.
Old 21-04-14, 09:05   #2
AkyV

^
What you write here seems absolutely logical:

The Editor Window size is:
Width: 100 squares
Length: 100 squares

(In fact, the real sizes are 102/102, because, you can see in Editor Window: there is always a minimum 1 square sized gap between the room wall and any edge of the window.
If you run a Diagnostics in the game about Lara's horizontal coordinates - see: variables, memory zones -, then, when Lara's standing at the NW room corner - according to Room Editor facing -, which room is placed exactly at the origin, the values are about 1024/1024 unit. 1024 unit is 1 square, so the game will count that 1 square sized gap for the coordinates.)

So the diagonal between the origin and the opposite corner is (see Pythagorean theorem) is about 141 squares. You say about 127 square sized radius. 141-127=14. 14/141=10 %. And yes, on your illustration, the gap between the line and the corner is about 10% of the whole diagonal.

The TRLE world likes very much binary limitations, and that "127? square sized radius" is probably really 128, because 128 is binary, the power of 2. Yes, the center of the sphere is probably the origin (X/Y/Z=0/0/0) of the 3D map.
(Possibly it is 127, but it really must be a bit bigger, 128 - due to what I said about the real horizontal size above.)

And, we shouldn't forget that the useful height of 3D map is Floor:-127 clicks, Ceiling: 128 clicks, because there are 256 floor levels: base (0), 127 below, 128 above. And it is also the power of 2. The floor/ceiling will be deformed below/above that limit in Room Editor.
(The full height of V2dmap of TRNG Room Editor is bigger, btw: Floor: -256, Ceiling: 257.)

So the theoratical (Room Editor) 3D map must be, I suppose:
horizontally 100 (102) square sized in both direction,
vertically 256 clicks sized.

And the effective (game) 3D map must be:
A fragmented sphere, with its center placed at the origin of the 3D map.
The fragment is the common part of the sphere with 127 (128) square sized radius and the theoretical 3D map.

(Btw it is not always true, because eg. if you rotate a long but narrow room, whose long wall is parallel with the east edge of the Editor Window, close to that edge, then the room will be out of the 102×102 sized window.
Possibly it is useful only if the room remains inside that sphere.)

Nice find, btw.
-------------
Here are two illustrations:

Note: my post is based on this nice find of DJ Full.

Last edited by Titak; 21-04-14 at 10:01. Reason: Added entire post instead of the link to it.
Closed Thread