www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 09-08-17, 20:49   #51
Alain19
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I heard after each game was completed Eidos always received the source code from Core. I think whoever was involved in Tomb Raider at that time made copies of whatever resource they dealt with, so at least some of the team have CDRs filled with game data.
That would certainly be standard management practice at that time, but does not indicate that Eidos named somebody to be responsible for this collection, kind of lapse unfortunately also standard practice if there were no programmers at Eidos (I don't know -- never checked). This could even explain why Eidos never worried about the code: they thought they had it and now no officer of the company will admit to such an error.
Quote:
Eidos probably just lost track of their copies because of the sheer volume of affairs they handled. The TR1 source code was unearthed when they were moving offices or something, so the simplest answer is that they really lost a lot of what they had.
YES ! and now we have to hope that a cleaning lady recognize what she see and find the other disks? BTW I am not yet clear in my mind about what exactly is the source code that was unearthed: is it complete, does-it build an engine, or is it a working copy with part of the code?
Alain19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 11:50   #52
Greatest TR
Explorer

I swear there is a mod out there where you can play as a first person view mode. That is pretty sweet. Does anyone have more information on this?
Old 11-08-17, 11:55   #53
Greatest TR
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Of course someone does have it. Burned on a CD-R and stashed in box in the attic somewhere, forgotten and piling up dust...
I pretty sure those CD-R will deteriorate quicker in the attic. CD-R will have black spot on the disc causing to rot which will destroy the data sooner or later.
Old 12-08-17, 12:48   #54
Alain19
Hobbyist

EEK, is that the warning "black spot on the CD" or the Glob that want to feed on the world? That's why my cleaning lady don't do attic
We really have to do something, anything! NOW
Alain19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-17, 17:35   #55
Greatest TR
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain19 View Post
EEK, is that the warning "black spot on the CD" or the Glob that want to feed on the world? That's why my cleaning lady don't do attic
We really have to do something, anything! NOW
Even if looks after in good condition, you will still get it. Some PS1 disc, original XBOX disc showing some signs now.
Old 12-08-17, 20:22   #56
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
I pretty sure those CD-R will deteriorate quicker in the attic. CD-R will have black spot on the disc causing to rot which will destroy the data sooner or later.
Yes, I know CD-R deteriorate, especially the earlier ones from the late 90s. Which is why if they source codes were really only ever backed up on CD-Rs, they might be lost at some point... But then again, with all the recent talk about the source code and all the questions which were directed at Core's ex-members, I think those of them who did have valuable data at their disposals have already made backups of it. Or at least I hope they did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
I swear there is a mod out there where you can play as a first person view mode. That is pretty sweet. Does anyone have more information on this?
OpenLara has an option to do that, if that's what you're referring to?

Last edited by Dustie; 12-08-17 at 20:24.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote