www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 09-08-17, 19:09   #1
Bryantkid24
Hobbyist

Exclamation Help please! Tr5 not running properly

Hi all,

I have recently started playing TR again after so many years. I have been trying to download TR5 on my PC (Currently running windows 7). When trying to attempt setup, I am giving a message about .dll file missing? When trying to run setup via auto run, it says it needs running through the administrator? I have managed to set up both TR3 and 4 but it won't seem to let me with TR5.

Cheers for any help in advance!
Bryantkid24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 20:00   #2
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

I also had problems to get this game running on a modern PC. This guide should help: http://steamcommunity.com/app/225000...1491121772031/
Old 12-08-17, 12:24   #3
fallenangle
Archaeologist

If that ^ doesn't help I'm not sure what to suggest.

I hadn't installed TR5 on my Win 7 64bit PC until last year and I did it from the original disc I own. No problems as described and it plays perfectly.

The multipatch was used although I'm not sure its is relevant for TR5 I still ran it again 'just in case'. All I know is that TR5 installed just as easily as TR4. I later used a no disc patch, found elsewhere, to complete the installation; so much more convenient.

My advice would be is that if it says a DLL is missing then find out what it is, whether its a TR5 component or Windows ones and go look for it to make sure it is missing. If it is a Windows component then find and install it in the appropriate folder.

I've had to do that myself with other software (not games though) simply because my Windows 7 installation didn't include the necessary DLL for some reason.

Obvious question: with the admin message have you actually tried running the installer direct as administator ie. right mouse click "Run as administrator"? You may need to do that even if you are the only user and have full admin rights.

Windows 7 is like that: even if you're the only user you can't even use 'cmd' (command prompt) unless you change permissions or use a shortcut set up to run as admin.

Last edited by fallenangle; 12-08-17 at 12:25.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-17, 14:52   #4
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

AFAIK Chronicles doesn't require any additional patches or compatibility mode. The DLL files from dgVoodoo should be all you need to make the game run. I have to copy these DLL files into every custom level folder to make the custom level exe files run at all. Otherwise they give me an error message and don't start. IMO every level builder should put dgVoodoo into their custom level zip files. Because even when a TR game starts without them, certain things like opening the inventory can take longer than with the help of the DLL files.

Last edited by Wooxman; 12-08-17 at 14:53.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-17, 15:32   #5
fallenangle
Archaeologist

It must depend very much on the source of the game. As said I was installing from the original retail disc (same for all my TR installs) so maybe that's why I haven't had the same sorts of problems as other here have described using unspecified downloads.

The only thing I did non-standard, because I'm using Win7 64bit, was use XP compatibility mode but I've been told since even that probably wasn't necessary. I've not been minded to test that.

I've wondered for some time why people aren't using the original (used) discs as they're still easily found and available for little more than the cost of the postage here in the UK from Amazon/eBay. I'd expect the same to be true for the EU and US/Canada as well.
Old 12-08-17, 17:25   #6
Joey79100
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
AFAIK Chronicles doesn't require any additional patches or compatibility mode. The DLL files from dgVoodoo should be all you need to make the game run. I have to copy these DLL files into every custom level folder to make the custom level exe files run at all. Otherwise they give me an error message and don't start. IMO every level builder should put dgVoodoo into their custom level zip files. Because even when a TR game starts without them, certain things like opening the inventory can take longer than with the help of the DLL files.
dgVoodoo isn't even needed. Maybe the fact that you've installed it once and kept it enabled makes it run for every other custom level and that's why you need the DLL files. But you can disable it through its settings.
I don't agree that it should be put for every level though. It is not a perfect solution, it can make graphical glitches with some levels (mainly TRNG), and we should have the choice to use it anyway. The background issue can be fixed using custom backgrounds using TREP or TRNG by the way, it's just that some people don't know or care about it.
Old 12-08-17, 23:14   #7
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
I've wondered for some time why people aren't using the original (used) discs as they're still easily found and available for little more than the cost of the postage here in the UK from Amazon/eBay. I'd expect the same to be true for the EU and US/Canada as well.
Using the download versions from Steam, GoG or Origin is more convenient since you don't have to put a disc into your PC everytime you want to play one of the old games. Also it's easier to preserve old CDs if you simply don't use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
dgVoodoo isn't even needed. Maybe the fact that you've installed it once and kept it enabled makes it run for every other custom level and that's why you need the DLL files. But you can disable it through its settings.
I don't agree that it should be put for every level though. It is not a perfect solution, it can make graphical glitches with some levels (mainly TRNG), and we should have the choice to use it anyway. The background issue can be fixed using custom backgrounds using TREP or TRNG by the way, it's just that some people don't know or care about it.
That's not how it works. It's not the fact that I've installed dgVoodoo but rather that all TR IV engine games share the same settings and since I've configured TR IV with dgVoodoo, choosing it in the settings menu as the graphics card, the other games with that engine expect the DLL files to be present. Also, really high resolutions like 1440p don't work without dgVoodoo.

Edit:
I just tried playing a custom level with dgVoodoo. I can't select high resolutions or the game won't start and it only runs at 20 FPS.

Last edited by Wooxman; 12-08-17 at 23:21.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-17, 23:58   #8
Joey79100
Archaeologist

Quote:
That's not how it works. It's not the fact that I've installed dgVoodoo but rather that all TR IV engine games share the same settings and since I've configured TR IV with dgVoodoo, choosing it in the settings menu as the graphics card, the other games with that engine expect the DLL files to be present.
That's actually what I meant, but you worded it much better.
It's just that your previous post sounded like you thought you needed dgVoodoo to run the game at all.
Old 13-08-17, 12:26   #9
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Quote:
Using the download versions from Steam, GoG or Origin is more convenient since you don't have to put a disc into your PC everytime you want to play one of the old games. Also it's easier to preserve old CDs if you simply don't use them.
As I said in my earlier post: once I've installed them from the original discs I've used a no-CD patch on all of the old TRs now. No disc, no wear and tear and as installed on a SSD I can be up and playing TR1 - TR5 in under 30 seconds.

My point was to consider how much time you've put into getting your downloaded version to work and had to come here to get help. In the time that's taken (2 -3 days?) to get where you are now with the problems you've had the original disc could have been delivered and installed. Probably without anything like the same hassle.

Just a thought.
Old 13-08-17, 17:04   #10
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
That's actually what I meant, but you worded it much better.
It's just that your previous post sounded like you thought you needed dgVoodoo to run the game at all.
Oh! No, I can run them without dgVoodoo, but then certain things like bringing up the inventory screen take a bit longer and they seem to be more prone to randomly crashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
As I said in my earlier post: once I've installed them from the original discs I've used a no-CD patch on all of the old TRs now. No disc, no wear and tear and as installed on a SSD I can be up and playing TR1 - TR5 in under 30 seconds.

My point was to consider how much time you've put into getting your downloaded version to work and had to come here to get help. In the time that's taken (2 -3 days?) to get where you are now with the problems you've had the original disc could have been delivered and installed. Probably without anything like the same hassle.

Just a thought.
I never had any problems with the downloaded versions, though. I wouldn't even need to install any additional stuff, though I like my games to look and play as good as possible and thus I use the widescreen patches and dgVoodoo to make the classics play better.

Also it's Bryantkid24 who needed help and he didn't even give feedback to let us know whether our tips were useful or not.