www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future Tomb Raider Games

Old 12-08-17, 21:16   #41
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

I haven't played those

I just prefer Tomb Raider's visuals and characters to look more and more photo-realistic as the technology progresses , it's just a personal preference That's not to say that I don't like saturation and colored lights , in fact , I like them very much only when they fit in and don't look like they're out of place . Again , I don't want to see a level like TR1's Tomb of Qualopec in the future .
Old 12-08-17, 22:11   #42
paulojr_mam
Historian

I don't understand what people say with cartoonish locations. The locations in all Tomb Raiders look pretty realistic to me.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-17, 22:49   #43
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
I haven't played those

I just prefer Tomb Raider's visuals and characters to look more and more photo-realistic as the technology progresses , it's just a personal preference That's not to say that I don't like saturation and colored lights , in fact , I like them very much only when they fit in and don't look like they're out of place . Again , I don't want to see a level like TR1's Tomb of Qualopec in the future .
Then think of Pixar movies. Would you say that the newest of them have "bad graphics" because they're cartoony? Of course not. They look really good despite looking "realistic", though even the early ones like Toy Story 1 and A Bug's Life still to this day hold up rather well since they don't try to look realistic.

@paulojr_mam: Cartoony locations are very colourful and exaggerated. The tombs in AoD for example look more stylised and "cartoony" than realistic, especially the whole complex beneath the Louvre.
Old 12-08-17, 23:21   #44
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Things I don't want to return from the classic era:

Limited saves- now that the survivor difficulty allows you to resume with any damage you had and equipment etc the check point system is fine with me.

Only being able to grab ledges directly opposite you.

Manual grab you constantly have your hold. But the press to grab and let go one from AOD is a must.

That's pretty much it.
Old 12-08-17, 23:31   #45
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Then think of Pixar movies. Would you say that the newest of them have "bad graphics" because they're cartoony? Of course not. They look really good despite looking "realistic", though even the early ones like Toy Story 1 and A Bug's Life still to this day hold up rather well since they don't try to look realistic.
But who talked about graphics in the first place ? I want the visuals and character design to continue to have a realistic base , technologically AND artistically . When I say "cartoonish" or "stylized" I don't mean "graphically bad" or "always fake and ugly" , I'm fully aware that something can be cartoonish but super detailed graphically at the same time , though that's not what I'm discussing . I want Lara to continue to look as realistic as possible , and for the locations to be very realistic when they're basing them on real life existent locations (but of course if they wanted to do an imaginary place , say a heaven in another dimension or something like the Floating Islands , they can make the visuals the way they like) , this is the best for a modern Tomb Raider game (IMO) . And again , colors aren't exclusive to cartoonish art direction , this seems to be a general misunderstanding , many real life places are extremely and vividly colored , which is why I said I don't have a problem with that when it's convenient and fits in well , like Syria in ROTTR , it WAS colorful but no one can say that it wasn't realistic or that it was stylized because it had warm colors .

I love the stylization of the world in the classics , TR4's locations are actually my favorite from the entire series , I just don't think that I'd NOW welcome a come back to that style for a future Tomb Raider game after the degree of the realism they've achieved , I want them to keep pushing it forward , the Classics and the TRLE games are still there for me .

And since AOD is brought up , I don't really think that it had a stylized game world , well yeah aside from the hall of seasons level-set , I thought the game world leans more towards realistic than stylized .

Last edited by Patrick star; 12-08-17 at 23:33.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 00:13   #46
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

I'm sorry then. The way you phrased it at first sounded like only a realistic art style could show off good graphics. And of course a realistic art style can also be colourful, though IMO a rather unrealistic one can make it easier to use colours when in the real world there wouldn't necessarily be colours.

But overall this comes down to personal opinion. I personally don't like it when games with a realistic art style look heavily outdated a few years later while cartoony games hold up better. Heck, even the 7th gen versions of TR2013 look outdated by now and that game also has a realistic art style. Of course, when a game is new, these things look great, but later on not so much.

Agree to disagree?
Old 13-08-17, 08:42   #47
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

^C'mon , are you trying to tell me that -in terms of visuals- TR2013 is heavily outdated right now because of its realistic style while TR1 (for instance) isn't because of its stylization ?
Old 13-08-17, 09:27   #48
Shing
Student

Best example for unrealistic game graphics is WoW. It still looks good overall and that game is like 13 years old. (It got some graphics updates though).

ON topic:
I'm not sure. Maybe some outdated level design aspects. Too many "find X key to move on" parts are boring... more puzzles and platforming would be nice.
Shing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 09:56   #49
ESCachuli
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
^C'mon , are you trying to tell me that -in terms of visuals- TR2013 is heavily outdated right now because of its realistic style while TR1 (for instance) isn't because of its stylization ?
Well, I can say TR2013 looks outdated and its been only 4 years. Other stylized games that are even older dont look that dated.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 10:18   #50
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

No , stylization doesn't prevent games from aging (and aging badly at times) , nor does realistic approach make games date quickly , TR2013 is certainly very very far from outdated , but that's just a personal opinion of mine , so let's just leave it at that .

Last edited by Patrick star; 13-08-17 at 10:22.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote