Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 10-09-18, 06:37   #1
dcw123

Default Best way to play classics - Opinions?

I heard on some Youtube channel who plays classic TR that he felt the PC versions played too differently to the PSX originals. Apart from the save crystals and HD graphics - I fail to see any real difference in Lara's movements.
I remember the PC version was missing an enemy or two in certain levels.
Speedrunners also seem to heavily use the PC versions too.

I like PC for the wavy water FX and HD resolution - but the health bars are tiny and graphics are less colourful unless I mess with monitor contrast.

What does everyone else think?
Sadly TR1 and 2 have trouble with PSX emulation, and running them from CD on a PS2 via HDMI just looks worse..

PC version on 4:3 with increased contrast is the best I could do (saving at crystal locations only in TR1)
Sorry if this feels like a waste of a thread
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 09:31   #2
Maverin

I've always been a PC user for Tomb Raider. The graphics are much better! I don't mind old games like the classics, but I do care a lot about how sharp it looks (the resolution). The classics also suffered from quite a few bugs, some of which can be patched if you're a PC user. You can also play around with tools like fly hacks or position editors to explore every hidden corner in the game, if that's your thing.

Some people prefer the PS version though. Probably because of nostalgia, but I've also heard a preference for the increased saturation, which I personally dislike. Everything looks way too bright for me that way. You can tweak this manually on the PC of course.

No matter on what platform you'll play them, it's always a captivating experience. Good luck on your playthroughs
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 14:35   #3
dcw123

PC through my TV it is then.. with surround sound and my PS4 controller. The GOLD expansions are awesome too
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 10:34   #4
xdesperado_

I've recently started to play the classics on my PS Vita after switching from the PS3 and WOW it's a change. PS1 games on PS3 do look pretty awful on a HD screen, even with the right settings.

Though it's not as nice as the PC ports, I'm using the Vita 1000 model (with the OLED screen) and I have to say the games do look gorgeous.
xdesperado_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 11:08   #5
b122251

I still have and regularly use my PS1, and I also have a CRT television, so that's how I play them. In the way they came out.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 13:55   #6
quetzalcoatl

I still have my Sega Saturn, with the original TR1 game, so I use that if I want a complete nostalgic replay! However, as you might imagine, it's very slow and pixelated. But after a while of playing, it's less noticeable.

On my laptop, the version of TR1 I use is windowed so it's less immersive but good for a quick replay of favourite levels with improved graphics. I also have a version on my Samsung but hardly use it.

I originally played TR2, 3, 4 & 5 on PC, so makes little difference to me replaying them on my laptop (plus they aren't windowed like the TR1 version.)
quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote