Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 05-01-15, 18:07   #71
Caesum

I have recently switched from default wad project to v130 and I have noticed a strange thing. When I edit StandardSounds or V130Sounds, then I see no changes in TRLE Sound Editor. I need to edit both of the above files in order to see changes when I open TRLe Sound Editor.
Can you make it so once a wad is converted to v130 TRLE Sound Editor will use V130Sounds.txt ONLY?
Also there's something I seriously hate. It seems once a wad has .sfx and .sam files made, TRLE Sound Editor automatically takes all sample configuration from them instead of V130Sounds/StandardSounds txt files and does not allow to reset samples. This way when I make changes to V130Sounds.txt/StandardSounds.txt TRLE Sound Editor ignores is whenever I open a .wad with already made sound files. Can you change that too?
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 13:44   #72
sapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
I have recently switched from default wad project to v130 and I have noticed a strange thing. When I edit StandardSounds or V130Sounds, then I see no changes in TRLE Sound Editor. I need to edit both of the above files in order to see changes when I open TRLe Sound Editor.
Not sure what you mean here.

Do you mean if you edit either singly the change doesn't show up when you open SoundEditor before loading anything?

Can you PM your custom standard sounds files to me for testing?

Quote:
Can you make it so once a wad is converted to v130 TRLE Sound Editor will use V130Sounds.txt ONLY?
Probably. I have to get familiar with the code again before I can say for sure.

Quote:
Also there's something I seriously hate. It seems once a wad has .sfx and .sam files made, TRLE Sound Editor automatically takes all sample configuration from them instead of V130Sounds/StandardSounds txt files and does not allow to reset samples. This way when I make changes to V130Sounds.txt/StandardSounds.txt TRLE Sound Editor ignores is whenever I open a .wad with already made sound files. Can you change that too?
So you want to be able to open a wad and not use the sfx or sam but create a new sounds.txt that will use your custom standard sound for #g sounds and sounds found in the wad and added object sounds, is that correct?

I should be able to do that but again I have to review the code to be sure.

Have you tried opening your custom standard sounds in SoundEditor and just creating an SFX and SAM from it?

You could rename them the same as the wad and replace the wad's SFX and SAM with them and then open the wad to see what happens.

I can't remember the internals of SoundEditor so don't know if this will work or not.
sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 14:05   #73
psiko

Sapper, there's a post from me at the bottom of the previous page.. Again, compliments for this tool
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 05:22   #74
sapper

Quote:
OK only StandardSounds is used by the program. Any changes you make to that should show up.

V130Sounds was supplied for users to load into SoundEditor manually to create an sfx and sam.

You would need to copy and paste your edited StandardSounds text and copy over the first 370 lines in V130Sounds for them to match.

@psiko I cannot reproduce the error. Does changing the RAD value back to 10 get rid of the error?
Old 08-11-15, 15:14   #75
frankky

Default Problem sound

Hello Sapper
I downloaded the program http://www.mediafire.com/download/5r...ndEditor11.zip would like clarification inmerito the program and how to use it.

I have a problem of this kind, use it to make my livellli NGLE course is completion of the project and at the end I realized that there are error message (but not create problems to the game).

the messages are all Sound type wav and are:
file not found TR3 Sound 177-0 Replaced whit back_jm1.wav
file not found TR3 Sound 178-0
file not found TR3 Sound 179-0
file not found TR3 Sound 284-0
file not found TR3 Sound 284-1
file not found TR3 Sound 287-0
file not found ssmis_hwl
file not found ssmis_aw
file not found ssmis_at1
file not found ssmis_d1

QUESTION: How do I identify the objects that use these Sound? if you have them you can send them to me?

QUESTION: Can you help me?

Hello and thanks to Franky

Sorry for the language I'm Italian and I helped with the translator.

Last edited by frankky; 08-11-15 at 15:16.
frankky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-15, 05:25   #76
sapper

Open your wad in the program.

Go to SFX tab and see which sound number uses the wav file name.

You may need to display sounds in 370 line format. Use button in toolbar.

Go to wad tab and find next to sound number the objects that use that sound.

You may need to display 370 lines format.

The wav files should have been included with an object when you downloaded from trsearch.

Copy them to your samples folder.
Old 05-02-16, 11:45   #77
Caesum

I'm trying to make a custom level with two different characters, a male and a female character. For that I need different samples and sounds.txt for different characters. It works fine but I get easily confused and mess up things pretty often. Because of that I wonder if it would be possible to make a completely different sounds.txt and samples for different wads? It would be ideal and would help me so much.

Maybe something like the possibility to automatically check if there's a custom samples folder with the name of the edited wad? It would then pick sounds.txt file from such folder as well as samples provided there. If there wasn't a sample provided the application would then use original/default samples folder to get all the missing samples. What do you think?

Also I'm not sure if my problem addressed earlier has been fixed or not? I mean the one where you have to delete .sfx file to fully update sounds in a wad.

Generally I would like to automate this process as much as possible so sorry if I'm nitpicking.

Last edited by Caesum; 05-02-16 at 12:10.
Old 05-02-16, 13:20   #78
Titak

I have a seperate sounds.txt for each level in my MoA project.
Works well.
They do use the default samples folder ofcourse, but they can have different names.
I just open the one I want to edit in the Sound Editor, change whatever I want to change, and the output the new .sfx and .sam files using the letters combo used in that sounds.txt file.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 14:09   #79
Joey79100

Quote:
I'm trying to make a custom level with two different characters, a male and a female character. For that I need different samples and sounds.txt for different characters. It works fine but I get easily confused and mess up things pretty often. Because of that I wonder if it would be possible to make a completely different sounds.txt and samples for different wads? It would be ideal and would help me so much.

[...]

Generally I would like to automate this process as much as possible so sorry if I'm nitpicking.
If you're using the normal way of creating sounds, with the batch file to execute, there's a way to automatically choose different .txt files for different levels.

See this part of the original SFX_Example.bat:
Code:
pcwadsfx settomb  c
pcwadsfx tut1     d
pcwadsfx title	  t
pcwadsfx catacomb s
As no .txt is specified, sounds.txt will be used for every level.
Actually, it's exactly the same as writing this:
Code:
pcwadsfx settomb  c sounds.txt
pcwadsfx tut1     d sounds.txt
pcwadsfx title	  t sounds.txt
pcwadsfx catacomb s sounds.txt
But if you want, you can do this:

Code:
pcwadsfx settomb  c settomb.txt
pcwadsfx tut1     d soundsinthetuto.txt
pcwadsfx title	  t sounds.txt
pcwadsfx catacomb s
This way, when creating the sound files for the Tomb of Seth, settomb.txt will be used instead of sounds.txt.
The tutorial level will use soundsinthetuto.txt file.
Though, the title level and Catacombs level will use the default sounds.txt file.

You can use this trick to use different samples for different levels without having to rename any file when you want to make sounds for another level.
Though, all your samples will remain in the same Samples folder, but it shouldn't be a problem.

I guess there must be a way to do this with sapper's tool but as I'm not using it I don't really know.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 14:55   #80
Caesum

Joey79100 - the original sound editor can REALLY do this?! Never knew about this! TRLE Sound Editor just must have this feature!