Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 21-08-17, 14:07   #1
Waxyyyy

Default Area 51 Spaceship is bigger on the inside?! (TR3)

So uh, it's taken me many years until this very playthrough to wonder how the Alien Spaceship is bigger on the inside - I'm wondering how they designed this since I thought that places in the levels had to occupy literal space? I had no idea portals existed in these games (if there are any) and the spaceship really is small.

Also if someone could let me know how or if this is possible on TRLE, I'd like to know as that's interesting too.

Whilst writing this I've just seen that if you use the look button outside the spaceship you can glitch some of the room into existence - but you can run and jump were the room should be?!?!?! HOw?!?!?

TR level designs are much more complicated then I imagined - maybe I'm just not giving them enough credit.
Waxyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-17, 14:23   #2
Dustie

I think if you download a tool called TombViewer you will be able to see how it is accomplished.

Levels in Tomb Raider are made up of rooms connected with doors. If doors come into view, the rooms connected to them are visible. The hatch underneath the UFO connects to rooms which consist of the interior, but that interior is not connected to the area outside of the UFO. Basically they are overlapping rooms. The reason you can glitch to see the interior of the UFO from outside is because the game renders any room that is currently visible through the door, so you can place Lara and make her look in such a direction, that both the outside area as well as the door in the hatch connecting to the interior are in view at the same time.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-17, 15:15   #3
Wooxman

If my memory serves me right, the pool room in Lara's house is also bigger from the inside and overlaps with the path that goes around the pool house.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-17, 15:29   #4
DanViop

It is an X-File thing. I don't expect something less in Area 51 xDD
DanViop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-17, 16:01   #5
Waxyyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
If doors come into view, the rooms connected to them are visible.
This explains a lot, there's definitely an overlap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
If my memory serves me right, the pool room in Lara's house is also bigger from the inside and overlaps with the path that goes around the pool house.
I never knew this? Is this only in TR3 or in all the classics with a manor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanViop View Post
It is an X-File thing. I don't expect something less in Area 51 xDD
Hahaha I don't expect anything less when it's to do with aliens but it blew my mind the way they overlapped the level like that.
Waxyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-17, 18:42   #6
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxyyyy View Post
I never knew this? Is this only in TR3 or in all the classics with a manor?
I'm not 100% sure but I think that this is only in TR III. I counted all the blocks when I built Lara's house in Sims 2 back in the day and I remember that I built the yard first and then couldn't make the pool hall as big as in the game because it overlaps.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-17, 18:46   #7
Anakzunamuhn

I believe it's the same function the devs use for a lot of changing rooms, since TRI. There's the puzzle in Midas Palace that if you move the base of a pilar the whole room change, same with sand puzzle of City of Khamoon,I even suspect about the train trip in London, it really takes you to other area or just change the one that you already are?

So, there are actions that triggers the change of the room, but in the case of the UFO the result is much bigger because we believe that everything is happening inside that little spaceship.

The Core Design team were f****** genious.
Anakzunamuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-17, 20:03   #8
SrDanielPonces

^ flipmaps are completely different than the UFO thing lol

the sand puzzles in tr1 literally just trigger geometry changes of some rooms (or a single one)
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-17, 20:41   #9
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

A cutaway of the building to show UFO within the building, and also the building exterior with some of the interior upper rooms of the UFO sticking outside.

A bit like Doctor Who's Tardis

Last edited by The Great Chi; 21-08-17 at 20:47.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-17, 00:11   #10
Anakzunamuhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
^ flipmaps are completely different than the UFO thing lol

the sand puzzles in tr1 literally just trigger geometry changes of some rooms (or a single one)
But it isn't the same logic? Just geometry changes (and also texture changes).

I thought about that because the interior of the UFO fits perfectly in the room, or at least that's what is seems with the glitch.

Maybe the Great and Ancient Chi can put some light in here... But I believe the same happens in Aldwych, not a teletransportation to a different room, just a flip of geometry and textures.
Anakzunamuhn is offline   Reply With Quote