www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 24-07-17, 09:33   #41
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Yeah, she moves diagonal: one square to the side and one square forward. I guess that she's invulnerable while doing so.
Old 24-07-17, 13:49   #42
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

I never thought about the kayak offsetting to avoid spikes by doing as roll. Good thinking out of the box there

I was just glad to get it working and never thought about any practical reasons for rolling, other than looking good.
Old 24-07-17, 16:12   #43
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Yeah, she moves diagonal: one square to the side and one square forward. I guess that she's invulnerable while doing so.
I think she is still very much vulnerable, it's just a trick to move to the side quickly

Also, knowing how the movement system works and how much it's dependent on Lara's animations, I think there is probably a way of reactivating this move by assigning it to a key combination. I suppose some of the programming talents here could investigate and tell if there's a way to do that...
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-17, 11:37   #44
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I think she is still very much vulnerable, it's just a trick to move to the side quickly
Well, the official guide says that the kayak roll can be used to evade spike traps. The guide also has pictures of the green crystals with a white cross on them, so I guess that it's referring to a beta version of TR III.
Old 25-07-17, 15:47   #45
Joey79100
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Also, knowing how the movement system works and how much it's dependent on Lara's animations, I think there is probably a way of reactivating this move by assigning it to a key combination. I suppose some of the programming talents here could investigate and tell if there's a way to do that...
If the move has not been removed from the code, then it could be possible that's is just a matter of adding back the missing StateID Changes that will allow triggering the animation.

The thing is that it's... weird. Actually it's possible to roll from both sides. But you don't just roll, you make Lara dive, and it seems it's up to us to make her get out of water.
Here are what seems to be the corresponding animations available in the retail version:

6 -> Upside down, she "streches" (no idea what she's meant to do, she just raise her arms... or lowers them, as she's upside down... anyway)
13 -> Diving - left
18 -> Upside down, she's "shaking"
19 -> Getting back up - left
30 -> Diving - right
31 -> Getting back up - right

The Great Chi was using TRViewer, for which animation indexes are different (the first animation is 1 while normally it's 0), so the animation 32 he has shown is animation 31 in this list.

Judging by the speed of the "diving" animations, the fact that these "diving" animations are just after the "just got hit" animations, and that the starting pose is exactly the same as the "just got hit" animations, it looks like these animations were actually meant to be used for when she was actually being hit so hard that she was pushed below the kayak, and that it was not her that wanted to roll. So maybe there was, in fact, another roll animation in the beta versions?

I'm wondering what did you do to get it to work The Great Chi by the way, and did you use the animations as is or did you make some modifications to them? It's hard to tell from the video.
Old 25-07-17, 20:22   #46
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Video was made was back in 2009 so cannot remember, but I am sure I just used the existing animations.
Old 10-08-17, 20:58   #47
Greatest TR
Explorer

Location: United kingdom ( CORE DESIGN IS A LEGEND COMPANY THAT WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
^ Can this video be trusted? The Natla map menu looks valid, but I see the video was made by GreatestTR, who is known for lying and making fake alpha/beta vids.
Sorry for making a late reply, just finished reading this thread.

This video is trusted. PDA was actually runs from the DOS box on the computer, Once you start run the beta, it automatically does this replay mode which CPU plays lara until you hit any keyboard and that let you control lara in the game then you can open the PDA from ther and it's exactly the same in Sega Saturn version but no PDA of course. I leave you decide what you actually believe in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
The map is really like that. The beta can be downloaded (there was a thread somewhere in the TR1 section) and ran through DOSBox, and you can test the map yourself.
That's correct, My knowledge that PDA Beta only work on Window XP when using DOS box programe. later version after Window XP just don't work after that if i'm correct but of course that was more than 14 years ago.
Old 11-08-17, 03:22   #48
Anakzunamuhn
Student

But the big question is... Do you make fake videos?

(sorry, I'm new here and never have the chance to know the ancient members)
Anakzunamuhn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 10:29   #49
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakzunamuhn View Post
.....Sorry, I'm new here and never have the chance to know the ancient members)
Oh no!, some of us are now ancient members

Last edited by The Great Chi; 11-08-17 at 10:30.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 11:45   #50
Greatest TR
Explorer

Location: United kingdom ( CORE DESIGN IS A LEGEND COMPANY THAT WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakzunamuhn View Post
But the big question is... Do you make fake videos?

(sorry, I'm new here and never have the chance to know the ancient members)
Simple answer is no. If you look other TR 1 beta videos by different owners, They are virtually same to mine, I can alway send you a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
Oh no!, some of us are now ancient members

I take that as a compliment. Well ancient members like us are pretty much been there since day one when the first Tomb Raider came out. We are lucky to witness it and experience it back in those amazing "era" days especially the tank control.