Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 04-11-15, 19:07   #1
Famicom

Default Is this how TR2 looks with widescreen patch?

Please forgive me if this topic has already been covered. Haven't found any info about this issue on the forum.

I've been fiddling with widescreen patch to make this game run at 16:9 without stretching. I don't know if this is how TR2's supposed to look after the patch being applied, but here you can see how the 16:9 patched picture still looks a bit stretched as compared to 16:9 native windowed mode and 4:3 native mode (vertical FOV aside). Am I doing something wrong or this is how it's supposed to look with the patch?

(In case my English is not clear enough, just forget about 4:3 picture and compare both 16:9 pictures )

Update: I tried entering my exact desktop resolution (1366x768) rather than ticking 16:9 box in the patch's ui. Looks like it works The only issue I've found is that you'd better make all the patching changes at the same time. Multiple editing on the exe end up in unexpected aspect ratio/fov/camera distance layout. They even may not change at all, no matter how many times you run the patcher and change values.

Last edited by Famicom; 04-11-15 at 22:35.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-15, 13:41   #2
Peixoto

Use patch with the unmodified executable

Last edited by Peixoto; 06-11-15 at 00:27.
Peixoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-15, 19:53   #3
Famicom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peixoto View Post
Use patch with the unmodified executable
Thanks for answering. The patch works great. Now I was wondering if it would be possible to get the exact same Z-axis compression as in 4:3 native mode.

Since I don't know how to explain it properly, here goes a gif :

As you can see, in 16:9 patched mode the background is bigger as compared to Lara than in the 4:3 picture; z-axis is less compressed at 4:3. Just the same in 16:9 windowed native mode: it's not as compressed as in the patched 16:9 mode. It would be great if there was any possibility to get the exact same z-axis as in the unpatched 4:3/16:9 windowed picture. Maybe it depends on my resolution?

Another one:

These are the settings I'm using right now, btw:

I've tried both GoG and steam versions, with and without "multipatch", with and without "Fullscreen border fix". Windows 10 Home. Nvidia Geforce 710M.

Edit: I've tried also with "Old_Games_Widescreen_Patch.exe". Z-axis looks exactly the same as in 16:9 unpatched windowed mode. This is weird. The old one works for me (but it's a bit pointless without the other parameters to fiddle with), the new one doesn't quite. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or there's something wrong with the widescreen patch. I guess it's me. I would appreciate any help.

Last edited by Famicom; 05-11-15 at 23:57.
Old 06-11-15, 00:17   #4
Peixoto

What i meant was...

use my patch with a unmodified executable... not this one
Old 06-11-15, 00:43   #5
Famicom

Quote:
What i meant was...

use my patch with a unmodified executable... not this one
Sorry, I thought that was your patch. I didn't know there were more than one widescreen patch. Well, yours seems to do a few more things. I've just tried it and it gets completely rid of the fov problem -the other widescreen patch is supposed to work just as good in that regard, as shown here, but not for me for some reason- but now I've got another problem: your patch doesn't seem to get on well with dgVoodoo, which I need to fool Reshade as you know. This is the error message I get when dgVoodoo is active:

Last edited by Famicom; 06-11-15 at 00:51.
Old 07-11-15, 00:15   #6
Peixoto

The widescreen fix will work even with that error
Old 07-11-15, 13:52   #7
Famicom

Quote:
The widescreen fix will work even with that error
If dgVoodoo 2 comes into scene, no matter if I launch the game from the shortcut created by your patch, or from tomb2.exe, the message "Tomb Raider II requires Microsoft DirectX 5 to be installed" will pop up and the game just won't boot. It is either your patch or dgVoodoo, or the game won't boot at all. In fact, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, and I can no longer use dgVoodoo at all...I get the exact same message "Tomb Raider II requires Microsoft DirectX 5 to be installed", even though I've removed AHK Injector folder from the game folder, uninstalled and reinstalled the game, rebooted... I don't get it. What files does your patch modify, if any? How do I uninstall it?

Last edited by Famicom; 07-11-15 at 14:04.
Old 08-11-15, 00:23   #8
Peixoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famicom View Post
If dgVoodoo 2 comes into scene, no matter if I launch the game from the shortcut created by your patch, or from tomb2.exe, the message "Tomb Raider II requires Microsoft DirectX 5 to be installed" will pop up and the game just won't boot. It is either your patch or dgVoodoo, or the game won't boot at all. In fact, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, and I can no longer use dgVoodoo at all...I get the exact same message "Tomb Raider II requires Microsoft DirectX 5 to be installed", even though I've removed AHK Injector folder from the game folder, uninstalled and reinstalled the game, rebooted... I don't get it. What files does your patch modify, if any? How do I uninstall it?
My patch doesn't modify any files, all it does, it does at runtime...

in my machine, it woks with dgVoodoo2, except by replacing textures.

Are you using tomb2.exe from the multipatch as instructed in the documentation ?
Old 08-11-15, 11:55   #9
Famicom

Quote:
My patch doesn't modify any files, all it does, it does at runtime...

in my machine, it woks with dgVoodoo2, except by replacing textures.

Are you using tomb2.exe from the multipatch as instructed in the documentation ?
I've been trying some options in dgVoodoo2 GUI. Everything works (AHK + dgVoodoo2 + Reshade) if, and only if I choose "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000" under "Adapter(s) to use / enable" menu in dgVoodoo2 GUI. If I choose my Geforce GT 710M instead, the error message "Tomb Raider II requires Microsoft DirectX 5 to be installed" will show up and the game won't boot, and I've realized this happens regardless of your patch.

Now, anyone could say: just stick to the integrated gpu and enjoy the game. The problem is I don't quite get a smooth enough performance, moreover if I enable a few Reshade effects. I've tried forcing dedicated gpu to be used with tomb2.exe, with no luck. I need to do some more testing on another computer later.

Apart from this, I'd like to know if there's a way to disable controller support from your patch.

Any help on any of these issues will be more than welcome.
Thanks for your time

Last edited by Famicom; 09-11-15 at 12:39.
Old 24-11-15, 09:41   #10
dege

When dgVoodoo enabled, launch TR2 with 'TR2.exe -setup' to pop up the TR2 settings dialog, and re-set your graphics settings. After that, it should work just fine.

I don't know the reason, but I always get the same error message with TR2-3 when switching between native DX and dgVoodoo.
dege is offline   Reply With Quote