Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 07-01-17, 20:01   #11
Revenge

I guess a kind of tension started to grow between Von Croy and Lara after the event in Cambodia because she 'left' him there, even if she couldn't have saved him anyway. Von Croy started probably to get mad at her, the same way Lara was at Von Croy after TR4.

There's this, and also the same reason why she raided tombs to find the Scion, the Dagger of Xian, the Meteorite artifacts, etc.
Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 01:06   #12
JACOBryanBURNS
Golden

I always assumed it was just a sort of playful rivalry on a grand scale.
JACOBryanBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 03:55   #13
pipermaru

I didn't read too much into it back then. She stealed the artifact because she could. It's nothing deep, but it works as a genuine motivation for me.
pipermaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-17, 00:28   #14
dinne

*deleted by the author*

Last edited by dinne; 18-02-21 at 18:29.
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-17, 04:46   #15
Zreen001

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinne View Post
Hm... Today I've rewatched all the cutscenes and I can't fill the holes in this story in any way. I tried to invent something but nothing has a sense.

1) How Werner escaped from Cambodia? Maybe with teleport itself in a hub that works with the Iris?
2) What are the supposed bad purposes of the Werner's father?
3) Why the father changed his mind from museum curator to istantly businessman of an enormous incredible industry of weapons and scientific researches?

These are my questions and I can't find a connection with these things. It is something that would deserve an entire title and not a single action, because it implies a powerful artifact that can't be ignored and an enormous industry that can't be ignored too.

Use your fantasy to give a valid connection between these things please. @_@ I need it.
1) Presumably, Lara went off to find help (she wasn't cold-hearted back then). Either VonCroy escaped on his own or got out with the people Lara presumably got help from. Either way, he somehow made it back with only a broken leg (possibly shattered ankle) so most likely it was someone who found VonCroy, the question is whether that someone was sent by Lara or if they found him by themselves. (Either way, VonCroy would from that point have a grudge against Lara for the incident). The Iris as a teleport seems only usable on select terminals, and can't be used any way else that we can see aside from being either a conduit or source or transformation of power.

2-3) I've always fantasized that Werner's father was part of Eckhardt's Cabal and was ultimately the one who freed and helped Eckhardt escape the Lux Veritatus prison back in WWII. After that, Werner's father received a bunch of funding from the Cabal's new sources now that Eckhardt was running things again. This would have led to Eckhardt asking the younger VonCroy for the painting commission but VonCroy knows exactly who Eckhardt was immediately because of his father.
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-17, 19:12   #16
dinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreen001 View Post
1) Presumably, Lara went off to find help (she wasn't cold-hearted back then). Either VonCroy escaped on his own or got out with the people Lara presumably got help from. Either way, he somehow made it back with only a broken leg (possibly shattered ankle) so most likely it was someone who found VonCroy, the question is whether that someone was sent by Lara or if they found him by themselves. (Either way, VonCroy would from that point have a grudge against Lara for the incident). The Iris as a teleport seems only usable on select terminals, and can't be used any way else that we can see aside from being either a conduit or source or transformation of power.

2-3) I've always fantasized that Werner's father was part of Eckhardt's Cabal and was ultimately the one who freed and helped Eckhardt escape the Lux Veritatus prison back in WWII. After that, Werner's father received a bunch of funding from the Cabal's new sources now that Eckhardt was running things again. This would have led to Eckhardt asking the younger VonCroy for the painting commission but VonCroy knows exactly who Eckhardt was immediately because of his father.
This helps.
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-17, 21:13   #17
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinne View Post
Why Lara steals the Iris from VCI?
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-17, 21:34   #18
Dustie

Because she won the race in Cambodia and that was supposed to be her price. Werner took it from her.

She went to VCI to reclaim her price.

I thought this was the official and widely understood version of these events?
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-17, 22:32   #19
Shirley_Manson

Once Lara lays her eyes on a powerful and shiny artifact she want's to place it in her trophy room. Kind of like a magpie.
Doesn't want to reaserch it, or show it to anyone else or destroy it because it's to powerful or evil, she just wants to get her red glasses fogged up over a hypnotizing spiny ball.
Shirley_Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-17, 22:41   #20
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Because she won the race in Cambodia and that was supposed to be her price. Werner took it from her.

She went to VCI to reclaim her price.

I thought this was the official and widely understood version of these events?
This is how I've always understood it to be: it was just logical. Though it's just another thing that Chronicles being so rushed added to confusion of established events.

This takes a lot of assuming, as do most things in Chronicles due to lack of expansion, but it can make sense if thought of this way. If that segment of the game is actually set between TR2 and 3 like is thought why did it take her so long to try to steal it back? Why is Werner in a wheel chair but can hobble round on a stick very well only a year later? No it leads me to think that the VCi segment is actually set quite early in Lara's career. A time in her career when she didn't even yet value the iconic dual pistols enough to take them with her like she always did. A time when she was inexperienced enough to need tech help, to misjudge a paragliding route and nearly fall to her death. And a time which would allow enough time by the time we get to the end of Tr4 to have let Lara and Werner build up their friendship again. let's not forget after all, despite most of Tr4 being spent with Lara and Werner at each other quite maliciously most of this is due him being possessed by Seth for the majority of the game and it's easy to forget they are still friends: just very competitive ones. Otherwise why try to save her at the end? Why try to dig her out and why turn to her for help in AOD if they truly were enemies? I think the Crux is Lara felt it was her artifact and it was still early enough in her career to try to get it.

Last edited by jajay119; 29-01-17 at 22:43.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote