Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 29-08-18, 20:28   #21
Ruu11

TRAOD can be trash (technically talking) or whatever you want to call it, but it's unique and will never be a Tomb Raider game like AoD

Personally, I've never been upset by its gameplay.
People who always drag AoD's gameplay is because of PC version, which is a mess (not even all these mod still can fix its terrible gameplay)

The Angel of Darkness was ready for being the best TR ever made, but it flopped sooooooo hard, failed and ended being "the worst/the biggest mistake of the franchise"

About thread's title; I don't think is THAT overly praised.
Yes, kinda... people just still recognize the most original Tomb Raider ever. What's wrong about it? Lol
Ruu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-18, 20:29   #22
jackraider
Inactive

Yeah TRAE looked great. It had that vibrant color pallet and atmospheric lighting CORE was known for. Loved that style. Reminded me of Project Eden, TR: TLR, and AOD a little. I wish Core Design was resurrected kind of like how 3DRealms came back. They could focus on legacy content, but that would never happen since Square owns all the IPs and has no interest in returning to any of those IPs. After the merge they basically crapped on CORE. All they wanted was Tomb Raider.

Regarding AOD , it was just too different IMO. Never liked it when Lara was taken out of the tombs and placed in urban environments. When you played the earlier games and then jumped to AOD it was just bizarre having Lara interact with drug dealers and prostitutes. Or sneaking around in the Louvre. Felt more like Core was just following trends at the time w/ highly acclaimed titles such as GTA3 and MGS2 being top PS2 sellers. Core strayed away from TR too much. They should of expanded more on what they did in TLR, but stayed more in tune w/ the original game. The environments in TR6 should of been all-things ancient. Not cities, museums, and sewers. Honestly, at the time I remember games like ICO being far more similar to the original TR experience, especially in terms of atmosphere and exploration than what we got in AOD.

I think CORE even admitted after AOD that for the next game they wanted to bring back more tombs and even dinosaurs. I just think TRAE is more special because like you said it's a mystery due to lack of infos, but from what I've seen it really captured the spirit of Tomb Raider and seemed like a very faithful update. It's what TR6 should of been honestly — just a back to the basics approach.

But should of would of could of.

Last edited by jackraider; 29-08-18 at 20:46.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-18, 22:17   #23
Zebra

But all of that was a conscious decision. Core didn't just suddenly decide they wanted to "bring back the tombs" because of negative feedback to AoD or sth, they were always going to go back to the tombs and AoD was always meant to be the odd one out, so to speak. That was just part of Lara's character development after TLR. Take her and the players out of their element to show what the whole near-death experience did to her and how emotionally displaced she felt.

I don't think they ever wanted to drag the series as a whole into a more urban direction, they just used that as a narrative device to communicate Lara's inner state.

Last edited by Zebra; 29-08-18 at 22:18.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-18, 22:22   #24
TombRaiderLover

Do I think The Angel of Darkness - the game which received mixed reviews, caused a switch in developer, and is generally regarded as the red-headed step-child of the franchise - is overly praised?

No. If anything, it's underrated.

Last edited by TombRaiderLover; 29-08-18 at 22:23.
TombRaiderLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-18, 23:18   #25
jackraider
Inactive

It needed some dinos
Old 30-08-18, 00:45   #26
Quebsenuef

Had AOD been released a few years ago it’d have been totally fine and the sequel would’ve been a success after they patched the hell out of it eventually.
It’s funny how it’s this huge, awful installment that almost ruined the franchise... yet other games nowadays get away with a lot of the stuff it did. Assassins Creed comes to mind with the one that needed a patch that was like 60GB or something. I think I’m remembering incorrectly but the GB Number was crazy huge.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-18, 01:23   #27
jackraider
Inactive

MODS/or ADMIN: Please close this thread.
Old 30-08-18, 04:22   #28
Zreen001

Why do you want it closed?
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-18, 05:49   #29
A_De

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post
I can't believe I spent the full $49.99 USD price when that game came out in 2003.
Wow, that was expensive. Is this a real reason of thinking that AOD is overly praised?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kietasvyras View Post
I do not think US $49.99 is that much to complain for 15 years. You can easily earn that in an hour.
I didn't buy the game as soon as it was out because I even had no computer. Played the game at friend's machine. And yes, he warned me that the controls are like hell.
Quote:
To be honest, Legend was such a breath of fresh air. I remember being pleased w/ the return of zip lines and Lara's Mansion too. Legend has its flaws, but it just felt more in tune w/ the earlier TR games with some obvious homage to the Jolie films.
Yes, It was. But I personally think that the TR movies with Jolie are garbage. It is sad that Legend are made according movies. Besides, that mommy-daddy story began right after those movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreen001 View Post
the grid was still partially there, just smaller squares and introduction of angles.
It would stay unnoticed for me if I didn't see AOD's animations and their names.
Quote:
Why are you so worried about TRAOD being overpraised?
Seconded
Quote:
Personally, I think TRAE is the holy grail of TR games that no one hardly talks about.
It wasn't released, we got Crystal's Anniversary instead. But there's not much to talk about. To me it is not mystic and charming in any way. Just grey remake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Oh man, I freaking love the look of TRAE. I think the main reason people don't talk about it at the moment is that there's not much to talk about. No new info, no new screenshots or videos, nobody has actually played the game. A conversation on TRAE these days is basically just a bunch of people agreeing with one another about how unfair it is that the game was cancelled and that they hope that it's going to leak at some point.
This.
Quote:
MODS/or ADMIN: Please close this thread.
It is too late, you touched the Holy Grail (or was it the Holy Cow?) and it's curse will find you everywhere!
To be serious, as long as we can speak in polite manner there is no need to close thread I think

Last edited by A_De; 30-08-18 at 05:50.
A_De is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-18, 15:50   #30
Profc

You have to understand that people on these forums, read so much of the of the beta material, that we don't fully see how much of that info is actually missing from the game.
Profc is offline   Reply With Quote