Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Fan and Community Showcase

Old 24-06-17, 15:05   #11
Felix Kroft

Deactivated.

Last edited by Felix Kroft; 13-04-22 at 13:35.
Felix Kroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 17:38   #12
MBog

I worked a little bit with unreal engine and I found it really impressive. For example when you want to create a game you already have some 'pressets' depending on the game you want to create. If you want it to be sidescroller or first/third person you already have some basic mechanics to work with. Idk if unity provides the same because I didn't try it.
Also i read somewhere that unreal engine gives you the full developing program wherea with unity there is also a pro version I believe wich gives you the full setup but you ll have to pay for it, I might be wrong tho.
Also, when you start the game I highly suggest not to have big plans from the beginning (like I did) because then, you ll get descouraged ( I know I did).
MBog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 23:00   #13
Heckler

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinne View Post
Just remember that it is technically illegal to use a model of another existing game but it is widely tolerated (or what about all these TR fangames!? ahah). You just only can't earn money with it because it has a copyright.

This is a very important thing to remember. It is perfectly fine as long as you do not ask for any money and credit the creators appropriately on release.
So basically if you use lets say a modded TRU XNALara model you'll have to credit Crystal, Dusan, whoever created parts of the model and the modder. If you made changes to the model, the least you can do is ask the modder for approval before adding it to the final build as you have altered their art.

Another thing that lots of people look over and I see this in lots of fan projects as well as commercial ones are the use of textures. Do NOT use textures searched in Google Images without making completely sure where they came from. It's best to rather make textures yourself, buy them, or get royalty free textures directly from suppliers. There are people lurking about with a good eye for these things and are paid to rat out CG pirates. So be careful!
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-17, 08:58   #14
Kivlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBog View Post
Also i read somewhere that unreal engine gives you the full developing program wherea with unity there is also a pro version I believe wich gives you the full setup but you ll have to pay for it, I might be wrong tho.
It was true some time ago. But now, as I know, there're no any functionality limitations in Unity.
Kivlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-17, 17:39   #15
LaraIloveYou

UE4 although it's powerful it's really heavier than Unity IMO, both for your PC and for a new developer like you, usually you have to do more work in UE4 to get the same result in Unity, plus Unity has a huge market place with tons of templates you can start with, the community is also larger than UE4 (with users are studios and big teams), UE4 has Blueprint and Unity has Playmaker and some other options so you dont have to write codes, you draw charts instead cos you're gonna make an oldschool game, not a high advanced tech AAA gamem Unity has all the features you might need really
LaraIloveYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-17, 21:10   #16
dinne

^

Oh yes, just a base version of UE4 requires 12 GB of space. And it requires more technical requirements of your PC than Unity, too. I have UE4 and I tried Unity, so I confirm.
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote