www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 06-12-17, 11:25   #11
quetzalcoatl
Historian

I can't imagine TR2 on the Saturn! But I still have my Saturn with Tomb Raider 1. How much do you think it'd be worth now?
Old 07-12-17, 08:22   #12
Helegad
Explorer

I'll give you $2 for it. PayPal only.
Old 07-12-17, 14:55   #13
Caesum
Tomb Raider

$2 for Sega Saturn TR1? For real?

I can give you $3.
Caesum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 21:34   #14
Dustie
Relic Hunter

If the CD drive still works it's definitely worth something. Those are dying left and right.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-17, 21:14   #15
Greatest TR
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
Saturn being "more powerful" than Playstation is very vague and even untrue due to the inaccessibility and bottlenecks everywhere.

If Tomb Raider had come out a year later on Saturn, I doubt it would have looked any different, just been more polished. Saturn was not designed for 3D games. Its 3D capabilities were cheap and shoehorned in at the last minute.

As far as that Shenmue build goes, I would eat my hat if it ran at any more than three frames a second. That video was sped up for sure.
Well judging the performace, Frame rate, and graphics.... games like Nights into Dreams, Virtual fighter 2 and Panzer Dragoon Saga, I say it's possible for Tomb Raider 2 run fine on Sega Saturn. Game like Deep Fear is a massive game with heavy content in it and has no problem to run it on Saturn. I'm well aware that Sega Saturn is designed for 2D which I already stated that in my previous post. Again like i said, Suzuki himself confirmed not that long ago that this is running on stock Saturn hardware for shenmue raw footage.

ThatToastyBass made a great point about Saturn Hardware on my thread couple years ago.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...3&postcount=15
Old 17-12-17, 22:16   #16
Kirishima
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
Well judging the performace, Frame rate, and graphics.... games like Nights into Dreams, Virtual fighter 2 and Panzer Dragoon Saga, I say it's possible for Tomb Raider 2 run fine on Sega Saturn. Game like Deep Fear is a massive game with heavy content in it and has no problem to run it on Saturn. I'm well aware that Sega Saturn is designed for 2D which I already stated that in my previous post. Again like i said, Suzuki himself confirmed not that long ago that this is running on stock Saturn hardware for shenmue raw footage.

ThatToastyBass made a great point about Saturn Hardware on my thread couple years ago.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...3&postcount=15
Alot of those games you listed are more 2d reliant than fully 3d. Virtua Fighter 2 probably has its floor drawn in a mode7 esque style with the vdp2 as opposed to real 3d.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-18, 03:12   #17
Johnnay
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I think I read in an interview with Toby Guard that there was an offer/idea/ambition to do a N64 port of TR2... Now that would have been interesting.
Well considering he left after TR1ís release and before TR2ís existence .. yeah nah that isnít on the cards anyway since he cantvoice for TR back then

I have never heard of a Saturn port of TR2 and even if that happened, itíll end up like how RE2 was planned for the Saturn and then cancelled later on during development
Old 25-01-18, 07:24   #18
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnay View Post
Well considering he left after TR1’s release and before TR2’s existence .. yeah nah that isn’t on the cards anyway since he cantvoice for TR back then
What do you mean by that? That interview and Toby's reply suggested the idea of porting TR to N64 was one of the issues he had with staying at Core.

Actually, I'm not sure why I wrote TR2 port for N64 in my original post... I think it was actually a TR1 port, not TR2, that Toby mentioned, which would have made more sense at the time when the sequel was barely in the works.

EDIT:

OK I found that interview. Not sure why I couldn't find it earlier, lol

Quote:
h0l: Why did you decide to leave Core Design in the end?

PD: We were basically given the option of doing a "Tomb Raider" clone on N64 in less than 12 months from scratch, or "Tomb Raider 2", neither of which interested us, so we chose the only other possible option.. the door

h0l: Did you find setting up your own company easy, or has it shifted you into all kinds of administration and management issues that you might not want to deal with?

PD: Well, it took us about 6 months to fully set up Confounding Factor, what with having to negotiate a publishing deal, find offices, buy equipment, etc, etc. Now thats all done, we've found that all our admin and business related issues can be quickly sorted out in about 15 minutes daily, which I generally do with a cup of coffee in the morning while I wake up. We more than make up for this "lost 15 minutes" by not having to deal with useless middle-management.

h0l: Are you happy with how the continuation of the "Tomb Raider" franchise is going? (the new game, the publicity campaigns for it?)

PD: I've been playing "TR2" the last week. It's certainly pretty good, but has a number of flaws that I wouldn't have done. Its also more of a "TR1.5", rather than a full-blown sequel, which is a shame. It'll be interesting to see if Eidos milk it dry or nurture it. It's also looking exceedingly dated when compared to what we're working on now...
Now I'm thinking if that TR1 clone for N64 would have made a difference to the franchise. They could have hired other people to make a new team to work on the port while the main team worked on TR2, although that would have resulted in N64 being a full year behind other platforms... and there was no time to waste fresh off the feet of TR1's success, which is why went with making TR2 in less then a year instead of dealing with N64.

Last edited by Dustie; 25-01-18 at 07:35.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-18, 08:38   #19
dcw123
Relic Hunter

I recall seeing some TR2 Beta images on Youtube. One of them contained Tibetian Foothills with a Save Crystal like in TR1 (although it didn't have the reflection, so it looked like the Saturn grey ones)

Would have loved to play TR2 in that way.

Sadly I've looked into several betas and the internet and I cannot find anything else on the subject
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-18, 10:22   #20
quetzalcoatl
Historian

I still have my Saturn!! lol And the only game I have for it is TR1! But I never heard any rumours about TR2 for Saturn; I played the rest of the classics on PC.