Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 09-10-17, 19:22   #21
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme4evah View Post
Anniversary is also better on PC
It's not. The PC version of Anniversary is based on the PS2 version while the 360 and PS3 version uses the Legend NG engine which makes shadows, lighting and water look better. Also the PC version likes to randomly destroy save games if its played on anything but Windows Vista. This bug constantly happened to me on Windows XP, while it's not as prominent on 7 and 10, but it still happens occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Fly View Post
Not sure why so many persons are recommending the PS3 version of Legend.
Because this forum's name is "Tomb Raider forums", but in reality it's "PlayStation and Uncharted forums".
While I only heard about the PS3 version of Legend being worse than the 360 version, I can tell with certainty that the 360 version is better than the PC version. Even if you install the patched .exe that lets you play the game with NG graphics without it crashing in Kazakhstan and Nepal, it's still pretty broken. Some textures and objects will still be from the "normal" version, ropes aren't attached properly to objects and in some instances the "normal" textures flicker through the NG textures. And the PC NG version is missing certain effects like the wet effect on Lara and post processing effects.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 20:21   #22
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
It's not. The PC version of Anniversary is based on the PS2 version while the 360 and PS3 version uses the Legend NG engine which makes shadows, lighting and water look better. Also the PC version likes to randomly destroy save games if its played on anything but Windows Vista. This bug constantly happened to me on Windows XP, while it's not as prominent on 7 and 10, but it still happens occasionally.
It's not happened to me yet on Windows 7, but I should probably add it to my routine to regularly back up my TRA savegames then.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 21:12   #23
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Fly View Post
Not sure why so many persons are recommending the PS3 version of Legend. Looks like we haven't played the same game. Graphically it's a bad port, it looks pretty bad in comparison of the 360 version. The PC version looked way better. I wouldn't recommend it personally. I started with the PC version in normal, then with next-gen graphics enabled once I had upgraded my computer and finally when I got the PS3 version I felt really disappointed about what I saw. I thought it was really a downgrade. The 360 version is the best looking version of them all to me that's for sure.
I play Legend on PS3 because PS3 is just what I have and I'm not interested in any Xboxes. Having said that, checking it on YouTube the 360 version does look MUCH better, I'm surprised. The waxy oompa-loompa orange character model is still there when she's wet, but the environments (especially the colours, but also the textures) look so much nicer. Quite shocking considering the 360 version came out first, IIRC.

The PS3 version of Legend looks awful, I'm actually being 100% serious when I say I preferred how it looked on PS2 compared to 3 it's that bad. PS3 Anniversary did look much better than PS2 Anniversary though, that was an upgrade.

PC usually looks better than both, on most games... but in Legend the "non-next gen" graphics look flat as hell. With "next gen" graphics they live up to the 360. The environments don't have as much colour, but then Lara's model looks so much better without that horrid waxy orange skin she has in both console versions. So which your prefer depends on whether you want more colourful environments or a nicer looking Lara.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 12-10-17 at 21:31.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 21:30   #24
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
It's not happened to me yet on Windows 7, but I should probably add it to my routine to regularly back up my TRA savegames then.
I think that it happened to me once on 7 and certainly once on 10 with the Steam version. 7 is probably a bit more stable since it has some of Vista's features like the game browser, which may have to do something with the savegame deletion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
PC usually looks better than both, on most games... but in Legend the "non-next gen" graphics look flat as hell. With "next gen" graphics they live up to the 360. The environments don't have as much colour, but then Lara's model looks so much better without that horrid waxy orange skin she has in both console versions. So which your prefer depends on whether you want more colourful environments or a nicer looking Lara.
While it comes down to ones personal opinion whether Lara looks better in the PC or console version, the PC version has really annoying bugs and oversights like ropes not being properly attached to bridges and platforms, flickering textures and having the 6th console gen objects instead of the 7th gen ones in some instances.

Last edited by Wooxman; 12-10-17 at 21:32.
Old 13-10-17, 11:36   #25
Kivlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
I think that it happened to me once on 7 and certainly once on 10 with the Steam version. 7 is probably a bit more stable since it has some of Vista's features like the game browser, which may have to do something with the savegame deletion.
Hm... Never faced such issue with the savegames. Played all games from LAU trilogy (PC, Windows 10 x64, all were Steam versions).
Kivlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-17, 17:43   #26
ThatSassyKid

The PS3 version is the best of TRA, tbh.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-17, 11:40   #27
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlov View Post
Hm... Never faced such issue with the savegames. Played all games from LAU trilogy (PC, Windows 10 x64, all were Steam versions).
So far it only happened once on Windows 10 when I used Texmod.
Old 19-10-17, 04:46   #28
JoelCaesar

Am I the only one that really liked the Nintendo Wii version? They incorporated the motion controls very well. They also included actual archaeology.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-17, 00:46   #29
Kapu

Default @^

I love the Wii version too. The exclusive features they added were really well implemented IMO; they weren't just tacked on for the sake of it. It might be the most complete version of the game, I'd say.

And graphically it's on par with the PS2 version, if not a little bit better. The PS3 version is great looking, but the lighting gets weirdly blown out on characters' skin. Not sure if the 360 version had the same issue.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote