www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 19-08-18, 08:39   #1
RAID
Tomb Raider

Default What was the point of the story?

I am genuinely asking not bashing Also, there may be a few spoilers ahead if you haven't played the game yet. You've been warned.

I love Rise of the Tomb Raider, and I am now replaying it to get ready for Shadow, and I just got to the Lost City of Kitezh. I had forgotten the story of this game, and now that I am replaying it for the first time in 2 years, I am skipping the side quests to focus more on the plot.

Now that I have no side quests to distract me however, I have noticed something and my question is this:

What was the point of going through all the trouble and finding the Atlas, only to have Jacob revealing the entrance to Kitezh out of the blues?

He knew all along where the Lost City was, yet he kept this from Lara. Her reaction to him keeping this from her was like "You knew? Oh OK. C'est la vie" I mean if I were Lara I would punch him in the face for letting me go through all that trouble and gun fights.

Did I miss something, or is this just bad story writing?
RAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-18, 08:44   #2
Blue_light
Archaeologist

I consider it as more of a test to see if Lara was worthy of getting the artifact.
Old 19-08-18, 08:50   #3
RAID
Tomb Raider

I figured it was something like that. But her reaction to it all was way too passive. This is rather strange, just like the ending of 2013.

I think the script could have Emphasised more on it being a test.
RAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-18, 14:27   #4
TrustyBow
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post
I think the script could have Emphasised more on it being a test.
Well I liked Jacob's death scene when he said that he's never met someone like Lara. I think Jacob was just genuinely surprised. Lara was in too much of a rush to care.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-18, 14:52   #5
Samz
Archaeologist

They introduced Trinity (and apparently retconned the comics in the process) and uhh... Thats really all it has in the grand scale of things seemingly, I mean we got Jacob, who would have been a good character, but he has to interact with goody two shoes Camilla Lara, I'd really rather have seen him interact with Classic or LAU Lara as I imagine that would have been more interesting, Jacob feels almost like an afterthought honestly, which is unfortunate as he's so far the only good character the reboot had for me.
Old 19-08-18, 20:25   #6
Grizzly Bear
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
They introduced Trinity (and apparently retconned the comics in the process) and uhh... Thats really all it has in the grand scale of things seemingly, I mean we got Jacob, who would have been a good character, but he has to interact with goody two shoes Camilla Lara, I'd really rather have seen him interact with Classic or LAU Lara as I imagine that would have been more interesting, Jacob feels almost like an afterthought honestly, which is unfortunate as he's so far the only good character the reboot had for me.
Jabob was a good character but they could have fixed some things, for example he said that the divine source is not divine but we don't know what it is!
If Shadow doesn't explain it (I was hoping that Shadow would have explained the whole Himiko's and Divine source's origin, but now I have some doubts) it will remain an unsolved mistery forever...
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-18, 21:29   #7
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
They didn't retcon anything from the comics. They just introduced them in a way that people that didn't read the novel and the comics know who they are. On that note, I really liked how Trinity was slowly revealed and built up in those.

Lara asking "who the hell are you" to Konstantin at the prophet's tomb is simply Lara wanting confirmation it's them, after all they are not the first secrete society that tries to kill Lara lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
Jabob was a good character but they could have fixed some things, for example he said that the divine source is not divine but we don't know what it is!
If Shadow doesn't explain it (I was hoping that Shadow would have explained the whole Himiko's and Divine source's origin, but now I have some doubts) it will remain an unsolved mistery forever...
There was a PDF with a sort of making of Rise and it included a lot of info on Jacob that I think was deliberately taken out of the game so that Lara doesn't know much.

I remember it saying how he was an orphan and how quickly people took to him because he was intelligent and generally a good guy. IIRC he became a wanderer or adventurer of sorts, which is when he stumbled upon some very ancient ruins in Germany and that's how he found the Divine Source. I think he made up the name after he became immortal completely on accident.
Old 19-08-18, 21:49   #8
AntRaidsTombs
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_light View Post
I consider it as more of a test to see if Lara was worthy of getting the artifact.
Right, we see this how many times in movies? Lara herself even said she wanted to gain the trust of the locals so they can trust her, and make her goal easier. That way she could find out more information about Kitezh & the Atlas.

Last edited by AntRaidsTombs; 19-08-18 at 21:50.
AntRaidsTombs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-18, 08:13   #9
Blue_light
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
Right, we see this how many times in movies? Lara herself even said she wanted to gain the trust of the locals so they can trust her, and make her goal easier. That way she could find out more information about Kitezh & the Atlas.
Ok...?
Old 20-08-18, 12:16   #10
Grimaldi
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
I remember it saying how he was an orphan and how quickly people took to him because he was intelligent and generally a good guy. IIRC he became a wanderer or adventurer of sorts, which is when he stumbled upon some very ancient ruins in Germany and that's how he found the Divine Source. I think he made up the name after he became immortal completely on accident.

Are you saying they actually prioritised Jacob’s endless waffling about “the gifts of the earth” over this? To think they had a backstory planned, one the story sorely needed, but just left it out goes to show how disappointing the writing was as a whole. Does anyone know where I can read it myself? It sounds really interesting.