Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > DXTRE3D

Old 18-06-18, 06:09   #1
Kyle K.

Question TR2 - Cutscenes via Images?

Hi! I wasn't sure what to title this, so I'll just give you the breakdown of what I am wanting to do, and I please need somebody to tell me if it's possible or not.

I am wanting to possibly do cutscenes for my upcoming TR2 TRLE Game, however, I would like to do it in form of the image format that is used for the titles, credits, etc. I have a program that can save in the .PCX format that TR2 uses for images. However, I'm wanting to know if it's possible to insert and trigger them using some tool? The Tomb Raider Data Scripter for TR1, 2, 3 (aka tombpc_scp_1.1) doesn't seem to have the functionality to do that (at least not that I can see...) so I'm curious if such a tool out there exists, or if the TR Data Scripter DOES have that function, I'm just not seeing it...

Thanks
Kyle K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 07:47   #2
Ahoora
Inactive

Smile

Sorry, but at first you said that you are using TRLE and then you want to use .PCX format?

If you are using TRLE, well you can't show images because the original TR4 system didn't use to support images, instead, you ought to use TRNG, which has so many capabilities, in comparison with the previous TR engines.

Good luck.
Ahoora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 10:35   #3
SrDanielPonces

^ even the title literally mentions he's using the TR2 engine lol
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 11:37   #4
thewolf
Golden

If you could compile your screenshot into a small video format like the original fmv's you can let the cutscene play at the beginning of a new level or the end.
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 15:44   #5
Kyle K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahoora View Post
Sorry, but at first you said that you are using TRLE and then you want to use .PCX format?

If you are using TRLE, well you can't show images because the original TR4 system didn't use to support images, instead, you ought to use TRNG, which has so many capabilities, in comparison with the previous TR engines.

Good luck.
It doesn't matter what engine you're using to build the game. The term "TRLE" refers to a game not made by the original creators of Tomb Raider using the same engines they used. In this case that would be TR1-5. So saying I'm creating a TR2 TRLE would refer to a fan-made Tomb Raider game on the TR2 engine. Also, anything other than TR4 has to be built with DXTRE so I'm not sure where your confusion there was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
If you could compile your screenshot into a small video format like the original fmv's you can let the cutscene play at the beginning of a new level or the end.
The only problem is, while the Data Scripter will let you add and trigger in-game movies, there is no tool out there that can currently export to the custom .RPL format that TR2 uses. That's why I was asking if you could do something with just images...
Old 18-06-18, 16:30   #6
thewolf
Golden

Arsunt worked on a .rpl converter but he had no time to finish it.

Here is a small link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyevjPzX24Q

As far as I know you can't trigger those credit images ingame. Only in the script. If you want to trigger those images you will end the game and also get the final statistics screen. The time they are displayed and the number of those images can't be changed.
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 16:58   #7
Kyle K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
Arsunt worked on a .rpl converter but he had no time to finish it.

Here is a small link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyevjPzX24Q

As far as I know you can't trigger those credit images ingame. Only in the script. If you want to trigger those images you will end the game and also get the final statistics screen. The time they are displayed and the number of those images can't be changed.
Okay. Thanks for the information.

Assuming nobody else has any information or answers to my question, a moderator can lock the thread.
Old 19-06-18, 07:37   #8
Pemon

Well, below is a link to download tombpceditor ver. 1.2 and it's including a manual on how to use it.
I hope it will help you.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1uxdqn...editor_1.2.zip
Pemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-18, 15:26   #9
Kyle K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemon View Post
Well, below is a link to download tombpceditor ver. 1.2 and it's including a manual on how to use it.
I hope it will help you.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1uxdqn...editor_1.2.zip
I've had and used the program for years. I know how to use the vast majority of the features, just wasn't sure if a feature like that was included (but appearantly not .)

Thanks anyway though
Old 30-07-18, 12:20   #10
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

I have the answer for you Kyle

If you send me a large TR room, can be stand alone ie not connected to the level, I can install large meshes (screens) using 3d Meta to any size and any angle location within the room (just give me a sketch of locations).

Then you can do a flyby route (shown in red) and can put any pictures you want in there within the darkened room. Easy

The only limitation with TR2 is the size of the texture pictures, where you want bigger than 64x64 pixels if you can, so the pictures are not to low resolution and pixilated on the screens. or can be a two meshes screen, so you get 128 x 64, ie, two 64x64's textures side by side, or two by two, giving 128 x128, you get the idea.

Contact me by PM if you want to do this idea, Cheers Chi
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote