Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Closed Thread

Old 20-06-06, 21:53   #21
kksmith

It's quite possible Eidos had originally planned Core to do AE. At some point, perhaps after seeing how Legend was shaping up, they decided CD was a better choice for the project. But for whatever reason, they didn't exactly cancel Core's project either (I suppose they had to give them *something* to do given the company was in dire straits anyways).

Or, it could just be that Eidos set both companies to work on it seperately, hoping to pick "whichever one came out best". Not exactly sure that is cost effective, but whatever

But I do have a feeling the fact that Legend sold pretty well (or at least "looked good" during development) might have had an impact on getting CD to do this over Core.
Old 20-06-06, 21:57   #22
MellowYellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksmith
(I suppose they had to give them *something* to do given the company was in dire straits anyways).
Erm, dire straits? Core was wholy owned by Eidos so how can Core be in dire staits unless Eidos were too?

BTW. We've been working on a huge multi-million dollar project for the last 18 months. Not exactly a company in dire straits. The TR team were only about 20% of the staff (12 people, tiny team in comparrison to CD who I believe had all 100+ people working on Legend in the last 6 months)

BTW, we dont know why it was cancelled as we've previously said. But I can assure you it had NOTHING to do with quality.
Old 20-06-06, 23:00   #23
Jamie18

Well Legend was a bigger success than I think anyone imagined (commercially anyway).

In my opinion, I think Eidos are putting all of their eggs in one basket right now - the Legend brand of Tomb Raider is selling better than the old brand was - it seems a bit like 'well we don't need YOU anymore'.
Old 20-06-06, 23:06   #24
MellowYellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie18
Well Legend was a bigger success than I think anyone imagined (commercially anyway).

In my opinion, I think Eidos are putting all of their eggs in one basket right now - the Legend brand of Tomb Raider is selling better than the old brand was - it seems a bit like 'well we don't need YOU anymore'.
I have no idea how it sold. Eidos will release a press statement saying how well its doing any time soon i guess. But still, its probably best to check actual figures before declaring a success.

It is very doubtful it will sell as well as the previous ones. Nothing to do with how good it is, the market is less than it was back then due to the larger amount of games being developed these days and the vast amount of piracy.

Its also hard to get your money back when doing next gen stuff. It may be sexy to do a 360 version but it costs a fortune to develop and you sell next to nothing. There are 100,000,000+ PS2's in the world but barely 1,000,000 360's
Old 20-06-06, 23:15   #25
tha_mattster

Why didnt they just make one version? The current gen looks fine!

Did they get some sort of dodgy dealing with microsoft?
Old 20-06-06, 23:25   #26
MellowYellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha_mattster

No Idea, you could always ask them. I'm sure they have a contact address on their website

Publisher seem really keen to do next-gen versions of everything, unfortunately they dont want to pay for them Strange as they will not make any money from next-gen for years. Most of the next-gen titles in the first year will make a known loss. Strange but true.
Old 20-06-06, 23:57   #27
Samsdad

Wink

I imagine with the PS3 coming out in November the development picture will take a major shift. I do not think the Sony will be encouraging any game companies to develop for the PS2 only. Any company that did not develop for the next gen consoles would soon be obsolete. It makes sense to gain the necessary expertise as fast as possible even if your do have to take a loss initially.
Old 21-06-06, 00:43   #28
AdamTheInept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha_mattster

I have photos of Toby Gard sleeping with Bill Gates.

how's THAT for dodgy?
Old 21-06-06, 00:43   #29
knightgames

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowYellow
Erm, dire straits? Core was wholy owned by Eidos so how can Core be in dire staits unless Eidos were too?

BTW. We've been working on a huge multi-million dollar project for the last 18 months. Not exactly a company in dire straits. The TR team were only about 20% of the staff (12 people, tiny team in comparrison to CD who I believe had all 100+ people working on Legend in the last 6 months)

BTW, we dont know why it was cancelled as we've previously said. But I can assure you it had NOTHING to do with quality.

I think I'm going to be ill.......

Seeing the CORE video was like watching previews of your favorite movie being redone FANTASTICALLY, and then finding out the movie is going to be done by someone else instead.

Think: the original Godzilla and then the Caa Caa that was released in 1998.

I actually have trust in CD doing a nice job.....I just don't think it's going to be like the CORE work. So while Godzilla 98 was purty...... it really didn't harken back to the original in character or storyline.

(Not that I'm some huge Godzilla fan........ but I think it illustrates my point well.)

Last edited by knightgames; 21-06-06 at 00:48. Reason: down with pants!
Old 21-06-06, 00:52   #30
thevman

I'm betting by next year it will be a big push for developers to be working strictly next gen. PS3 will be out to join the 360. And by sony's loyal fan base of their gaming equipment, expect huge sales numbers, even at the price they'll be asking. (hearing 500 to 600 bucks here in the states, depending on how well equiped the machine is... yes, they will be selling upgrades right at the start)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamTheInept
I have photos of Toby Gard sleeping with Bill Gates.

how's THAT for dodgy?
Holy cra... (sorry, couldn't hold it in)

Last edited by thevman; 21-06-06 at 00:54.
Closed Thread