Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 03-12-17, 00:24   #71
JACOBryanBURNS
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
The devs could also add a flashback video, a "previously on Tomb Raider", or a journal where you can read stuff in the menu/inventory.
Which they literally did in Underworld and then chose yet again to make it barely make any sense. That made my head practically spin off my shoulders.
JACOBryanBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-17, 01:02   #72
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
The devs could also add a flashback video, a "previously on Tomb Raider", or a journal where you can read stuff in the menu/inventory.
That would be the logical solution.

Either do this, or just say sod the ADHD plebs who can't be bothered to either play the previous game or look up what happened.

I'd even rather they went back to a TR1-3 format, where the games were almost "episode"-like and didn't have any real meaningful order or connection between them. I'll take that over a half-assed attempt at a continuity that has no real continuity anyway.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 03-12-17 at 01:03.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-17, 03:32   #73
JACOBryanBURNS
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post

I'd even rather they went back to a TR1-3 format, where the games were almost "episode"-like and didn't have any real meaningful order or connection between them. I'll take that over a half-assed attempt at a continuity that has no real continuity anyway.
I have been praying for this since Anniversary got hacked up to play into their terrible daddy story. Just go back to basics and make a great game that’s fun and let the story just be some light plot to press through an adventure. Pleeeeeease.
Old 03-12-17, 04:28   #74
kiersaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Either do this, or just say sod the ADHD plebs who can't be bothered to either play the previous game or look up what happened.
I don't really get it. Comparing new players to the story to people with ADHD? ADHD wouldn't prevent me doing research or playing a game, quite the opposite for most "sufferers" actually so it's a strange analogy. I hope you don't see it as nitpicking and I'm not trying to be all politically correct but I just find the use of term here strange, unnecessary and a bit demeaning. That is just my perspective. I'm guessing it was just as throwaway comment!

I do agree with you on the point I think you were trying to make though, good continuity shouldn't be sacrificed in fear of new players not understanding, there are plenty of ways around it!
kiersaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-17, 15:55   #75
JACOBryanBURNS
Golden

I am ADHD and have even taken medication for it for 15 years (praise Jesus for Adderall XR) and I didn’t think it was out of line at all, and certainly not demeaning.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 03-12-17, 18:45   #76
kiersaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACOBryanBURNS View Post
I am ADHD and have even taken medication for it for 15 years (praise Jesus for Adderall XR) and I didn’t think it was out of line at all, and certainly not demeaning.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hey! I am diagnosed as well . Like I said in my last post, it was my perception. The case could be seen by others that I looked into it too much or misunderstood but for me it seems like the term ADHD was used with a negative connotation. "Sod the plebs who can't be bothered etc..." would have sufficed, what was the need for "ADHD" being in there too? It was used as part of the insult alongside "pleb" as if it is negative in and of itself. Would you find it insulting if somebody said "**** the ADHD idiots who can't be bothered to do x,y,z!"? It seems like the same thing to me with lighter wording.

It makes me ask: "Why would someone with ADHD not be bothered to research or play previous games?". I did also say it seemed like a throwaway comment though and I feel there was probably no malice behind it but I wouldn't say that makes my questions less valid and perhaps my highlighting of it could help make people think before using medical conditions as a means to, accidently or otherwise, insult people.

I do want to say that it isn't the end of the world and it isn't something that disgusted me or hurt me deeply, I'm not oversensitive or precious about it and I am open to other people's opinions and perception, it just sparked questions for me. It wasn't me trying to create drama or cause arguments, just a genuine wonder at why it was used in the way it was because I found it a bit bizarre. I hope people don't think I'm being a nag because it isn't my intention!

(Also this is the first time I've actually told people outside friends and family about having ADHD which feels quite personal and even vulnerable for some reason)
kiersaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 20:44   #77
ArigatoGozymas
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACOBryanBURNS View Post
I have been praying for this since Anniversary got hacked up to play into their terrible daddy story. Just go back to basics and make a great game that’s fun and let the story just be some light plot to press through an adventure. Pleeeeeease.
Agreed 10000%, and this is coming from someone who ADORES the interconnectedness of franchises like Assassin's Creed, but Tomb Raider is a whole different thing. It was always fun because of the fun, skilled, determined, attractive, bossy, confident and very all wonderful Lara Croft and the experience of finding a specific artifact which has her go around the world, visiting a variety of different locations, fighting human and supernatural foes and eventually getting what she came for and finishing the story.

Their attempt to make it an interconnected story that is often all about her family and past, starring a boring everyday girl version of Lara Croft is just so unappealing, not to mention the big-for-nothing world that is infested with collectibles that add little to the story, in addition to tombs becoming an optional errand that is short, limited and doesn't really give you any important thing regarding the game's lore (which the reboot tries to give us that impression that it's important), it always ends up with a skill point or a weapon upgrade or some artifact that we don't ever end up using or selling or even see displayed in her mansion, not to mention how the whole story feels like it's all about surviving or escaping from hordes of mercenaries instead of exploring and finding artifacts and unleashing monsters and unearthing mythical objects.
ArigatoGozymas is offline   Reply With Quote