www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 14-01-17, 23:25   #51
Uzi master
Relic Hunter

They didn't have the choice to just not make another tomb raider game, nor do I imagine they got particularly large budgets for any of their other games.

A graphic artist changing an areas design probably had little impact on the programmers fixing bugs, I would think. Areas, big and small, get re-designed all the time before a final version is settled on, that's a very bad example of trivial time use.

And again, Half-Life 2 took six years, at the pace they were at AoD would certainly have been finished at or before that mark. A large, (at the time) next-gen game needs ample development time if it's going to be impressive. Though, I'm open to any examples that prove to the contrary.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-17, 00:11   #52
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi master View Post
They didn't have the choice to just not make another tomb raider game, nor do I imagine they got particularly large budgets for any of their other games.
Tomb Raider was Eidos' cashcow so it was obvious they wouldn't allow Core to just end the series. Really I believe Core thinking they would get away with killing Lara was a bit naive to put it gently. Also already by the time of TR4 Core consisted of several teams each doing own projects. If key members of Core didn't want to work on Tomb Raider they could have just given the entire project to a different team(and they kinda did), like they did with TR3.
Besides after a failure that TRAOD was Eidos took away TR from them and allowed Core to work on other projects. It wasn't until SCi decided to cut costs when Core was sold(and they were sold because they didn't have any strong IP).
Core was given way too much freedom at the time of Eidos and Core used it to destroy itself from the inside. Nathan McCree was right when he said Core would have died anyway.

Quote:
A graphic artist changing an areas design probably had little impact on the programmers fixing bugs, I would think. Areas, big and small, get re-designed all the time before a final version is settled on, that's a very bad example of trivial time use.
You would have been right if levels were done and designers were only fixing details. But changing unimportant parts of the otherwise complete levels while half of the game isn't even touched yet(Prague) sounds rather fishy to me. In THIS article it is even said that "some developers arrived in the morning at work without knowing what to do for the rest of the day" or "there were lots of people with headphones on just all working on their bit and then one disaster after another as they realized things didn't tally up."
Also since programmers work affected level designers greatly(like in case of bad design choices leading to cutting levels into small chunks) a lot of levels had to be redone or deleted entirely.

Quote:
And again, Half-Life 2 took six years, at the pace they were at AoD would certainly have been finished at or before that mark. A large, (at the time) next-gen game needs ample development time if it's going to be impressive. Though, I'm open to any examples that prove to the contrary.
I believe CAPCOM and their Resident Evil 4 era shows that you can do much during a limited time. Of course their game had a longer production time, but during which different RE4 versions ended up as separate projects(Haunting Ground, Devil May Cry).
Oh actually now I read that the game's development started at the end of 2001 and even then there were two different versions of it, so they didn't have as much time as I initially thought.
And more time doesn't necessarily mean better end results. Duke Nukem Forever took indeed forever to make and it was a mess anyway. Arcania - Gothic IV took about 3 years and it was a massive failure that killed JoWood(and it was made by a good company, with a 3rd party engine, in the middle of the seventh generation).

Last edited by Caesum; 15-01-17 at 00:17.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote