www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 21-06-17, 09:18   #71
Kivlov
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
Exactly! This "your first game will always be your favourite" thing is weird af. TR1 was also my first, yet I prefer 3, and 5.
Maybe it's weird, but it works in this way quite often.
Old 21-06-17, 11:27   #72
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlov View Post
This explains a lot. The first game you played from the series is always unique and the hottest experience. First impression and emotions. Moreover, in those times most likely you were much younger. For example, I can say absolutely the same about TR2.
I was about 5... I loved the game but I was stuck in Trajan's Market (damn I wasn't able to find that damn trapdoor). Only later (~~9 or 10) I got a walkthrough and played it together with my sister

In the meantime, I also played AOD and Legend (right when it came out) c:
Old 21-06-17, 12:30   #73
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
I was about 5... I loved the game but I was stuck in Trajan's Market (damn I wasn't able to find that damn trapdoor). Only later (~~9 or 10) I got a walkthrough and played it together with my sister

In the meantime, I also played AOD and Legend (right when it came out) c:
Ahh yes, THAT trapdoor. I'm sure it stumped MANY TR players.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-17, 14:21   #74
Greenapple968
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanglyph View Post
https://68.media.tumblr.com/c7a4ee92b8fc2db53a4b8bea5c26ef48/tumblr_oruyv6mx621r87ctio1_540.png
That's just one other opinion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDormant View Post
^ You're right, but the difference between AOD and Chronicles is that the former had all the potential to also become a success if Core had not been so busy with the latter (I think), while Chronicles is just... Chronicles. It would have ended the way it is no matter what.

I still like Chronicles, though. It was the first TR I saw, after all.
Weren't Core heavily restricted when making Chronicles though? Wasn't Core's original intention for Lara to have died in Last Revelation and for Chronicles to be a tribute to Lara Croft and tie up various loose ends? The big issue is that Core couldn't do anything new with Lara as she was presumed dead; they could only get you playing with the past.

AOD is a game I can definitely live without, and I think that Crystal's TR games are even worse than AOD. I honestly wish that Tomb Raider ended after Chronicles; have Lara die in Last Revelation and have Chronicles to pay tribute to Lara and put us in her past.
Old 21-06-17, 15:34   #75
SunDormant
Archaeologist

^ Whether Core's intention was for Tomb Raider to end in Chronicles didn't matter to Eidos. They were going to demand another game either way, and so it would have been preferable to skip Chronicles completely in order to get a more developed AOD.

Or are you trying to tell me AOD was going to be a failure no matter what? Even if it wasn't going to be a good TR, it could have been a good game if it was not for Chronicles. Although honestly, I still have some doubts.
Old 22-06-17, 14:25   #76
Greenapple968
Relic Hunter

Quote:
^ Whether Core's intention was for Tomb Raider to end in Chronicles didn't matter to Eidos. They were going to demand another game either way.
Would Eidos have had the authority to force Core Design to do another Tomb Raider game? I thought that Core Design were the makers of Tomb Raider and that they'd have the ultimate say? The past has already happened, so no discussion will change the way in which Tomb Raider has turned out; I'm just saying what my preference would've been.

Quote:
it would have been preferable to skip Chronicles completely in order to get a more developed AOD.
This statement is entirely speculative.

Quote:
Or are you trying to tell me AOD was going to be a failure no matter what? Even if it wasn't going to be a good TR, it could have been a good game if it was not for Chronicles. Although honestly, I still have some doubts.
I have no idea what AOD would've been like had it not been for Chronicles. All I know is that I dislike AOD for what it is and the potential of what it could have been doesn't score much sympathy from me. I stand by my opinion that Tomb Raider should have ended after Chronicles. Although the thought of the Series ending after Last Revelation works for me also.
Old 22-06-17, 15:13   #77
Kivlov
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
Would Eidos have had the authority to force Core Design to do another Tomb Raider game? I thought that Core Design were the makers of Tomb Raider and that they'd have the ultimate say?
Unfortunately, most of the publisher's contracts provide them with the "last word" right, as well as transfer all the copyrights of the product at all.
Old 22-06-17, 20:16   #78
Enigma92
Student

One of my many beautiful memories with this game was when I was 9 and I had just reached The Sinking Submarine level where you have to traverse the room with the electricity running through the water or something. I paused the game and went to the kitchen to stuff my face as a treat for all my hard work but meanwhile my brother jumped on the couch, stood Lara in the water and just before she was about to die saved the game. Then I got really upset and attacked him with a Pringles can.

Overall I like the game...except for the VCI/New York segment!
Enigma92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 20:20   #79
wearemany
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma92 View Post
One of my many beautiful memories with this game was when I was 9 and I had just reached The Sinking Submarine level where you have to traverse the room with the electricity running through the water or something. I paused the game and went to the kitchen to stuff my face as a treat for all my hard work but meanwhile my brother jumped on the couch, stood Lara in the water and just before she was about to die saved the game. Then I got really upset and attacked him with a Pringles can.
This made me laugh so much.
Old 22-06-17, 23:02   #80
SunDormant
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
This statement is entirely speculative.
Well, sorry for not being an ex-Core member who could explain what happened first hand. All I have are speculations, and I see no point in delving into something that, as you said, is in the past. But anyway, I get your point.