www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Debate and Political Discussion

Old 25-06-17, 08:56   #91
Mani_Man
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Launcelot View Post
Umm, what about this?
I am assuming this is the same story that the Bible has about Lot and Sodom and Gomorrah.

So even if the Quran does not explicitly say to kill homosexuals, the devout are at least advised to show the same sort of prejudice as fundamentalist Christians do when they follow all of the anti-gay passages in the Bible.

And you cannot deny that there is a lot of prejudice against homosexuality in the Islamic world.

So Moon-Safari at least has a point there.
Not really because the thing with every religious book is the translation and meaning.
Some who study the Quran see in this particular case rather comdemning sexual violence.
Its always Tricky because of the Translation of it.
Neither Western nor Islamic Religion is imo something to follow, not one stains itself with Glory.
But i do get the feeling that western religion gets a pass more often than Islamic who gets taken word by word even if its misstranslated.

From what i gather about the islam, homosexuality was treated back in the day a bit like in the Roman Empire.
It was there, nobody asked and questioned too much.

Sadly Religious Extremism has taken a hold on the islamic world too strongly without the same resistance that happened in the west when Religious Extremism got to us.
Beneath the "surface" Homosexuality in the middle east is far bigger than people expect.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 10:58   #92
TRfan23
Gold Contributor

This isn't meant as an anti-western point, but it is true that European colonization is in part responsible for the anti-homosexuality rhetoric in the middle east, especially in the continent of Africa that were affected by this.

My guess is that changes won't happen until heterosexual relationships are liberalised in the region first, and this probably won't happen for at least another minimum of 20 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Launcelot View Post
I am assuming this is the same story that the Bible has about Lot and Sodom and Gomorrah.

So even if the Quran does not explicitly say to kill homosexuals, the devout are at least advised to show the same sort of prejudice as fundamentalist Christians do when they follow all of the anti-gay passages in the Bible.
What's interesting is that the biblical version doesn't make it as clear if it's referencing same-sex, it's open to interpretation. Unlike the Quranic version.

Last edited by TRfan23; 25-06-17 at 11:13.
TRfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 12:29   #93
Dennis's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRfan23 View Post
What's interesting is that the biblical version doesn't make it as clear if it's referencing same-sex, it's open to interpretation. Unlike the Quranic version.
The Bible does tell you what Sodom's sin was:

Quote:
This was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. They were haughty, and did abominable things before me; therefore I removed them when I saw it. (Ezekiel 16:49-50)