Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 27-06-17, 12:23   #11
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorje Croft View Post
Actually LAU trilogy was awesome in my opinion for its time. but if Lara found her mother in the end safe and sound it would have more sense for me, as she/we were in search for years. So what happened in the end? nothing.
All that work for nothing; we get a zombie, we blow it's brains out and that's it. And then there was a safe the world plot that was thrown in at the last fifteen minutes. Let me tell you something: the ending to Underworld was more disappointing to me than that of Mass Effect 3.

I'm thinking that because they had already planned to do a reboot they weren't invested in this game at all and just wrapped it up in the laziest way possible.

Last edited by Nigel Cassidy; 27-06-17 at 12:24.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-17, 15:08   #12
Patrick star

I don't think so . Reboot plans and concepts started to emerge only few months before the launch of Underworld , and I believe they had the plot planned and established in place very early in the game's development cycle , like sometime in late 2007 , Reboot or not , we would be getting the same story/ending .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-17, 15:23   #13
CroftManiac05

I always had this question: If Lara pulled the sword before Amelia, then Amelia would still be alive? It's interesting how Legend makes Lara seem as an anti hero.
CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-17, 14:02   #14
Krumpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
Yeah, but it's also baffling how Amanda can blame Lara for her own 'death' so that sort of makes them even right?
She didn't blame Lara for her "death" - she was angry that after Lara escaped the tomb she never bothered to go back to find her. She made that clear during their reunion.

Despite that she never really hated Lara or sought revenge during Legend. She spends most of the game trying to avoid her. She never harmed her friends when she broke into Croft Manor. Even in the Kazakhstan fight she warns Lara she only unleashes the monster and has no control of its actions but continually warns her to stay away from it. When they return to Bolivia its Lara who's threatening to murder everyone while Amanda is the calm levelheaded one trying to diffuse the situation. And even after her boyfriend is killed and she gets her ass kicked - she still tries to help Lara get to Avalon before the dais explodes.

It was only Underworld where she wanted to get even, but in her defense everything that happened up to that point that caused her friendship to fall apart was entirely Lara's fault. There was never really anything villainous about her and its kind of sad to see some fans can be so quick to label her character as "an evil bitch" or even think the deleted Underworld cutscene is a satisfying end to her story. Its like they never got her character at all.
Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-17, 15:27   #15
SunDormant

^ I never actually thought about it like that. Great analysis!
SunDormant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-17, 16:25   #16
JsotoTRSaga

I like the analysis but you forgot about something, Amanda was the one who attacked Lara first in Kazakhstan. She ordered her men to throw a grenade at her in the lab so she really was being evil. Apart from that, she took control of the same stone that killed their friends in Paraiso. She even thought it how to fetch. Amanda's mad.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-17, 13:24   #17
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Although I don't understand how Lara can blame Amanda for her mothers death. It was future Lara and Amanda that was messing around with the sword that caused that portal to the past to open.

And when Amanda was speaking she was speaking to future Lara, telling her to pull out the sword which Lara's mother misinterpreted. So that whole scene at the end of Legend never made any sense to me why Lara was so angry with Amanda.
LAU Lara is a stupid and selfish bitch. All she cares about is finding her long lost and probably dead mother at all costs. Rutland and Amanda warn her a few times and tell her to stay away but does Lara listen? Nope! She follows them, kills Rutland's men, she kills Rutland, she doesn't listen to Amanda in the end and then she blames Amanda for her own stupidity. Lara is the true antagonist in Legend and Crystal had to shoehorn Natla into Underworld to somehow make Lara look like a heroine despite all of the stupid and selfish things she did. Without the last minute "safe the world!" subplot thrown in, Underworld would've ended on a even lower note, what with Lara just shooting her mother into an abyss only because she's ugly (there's no evidence that her mother is mindless and tries to kill Lara) so that her whole journey was for nothing. Heck, even Gears of War 2 handled a very similar scene in a much better way: https://youtu.be/ZAuz7HeiOFE
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-17, 13:53   #18
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
LAU Lara is a stupid and selfish bitch. All she cares about is finding her long lost and probably dead mother at all costs.
But isn't the core of Lara's character a determined woman so stubborn and focused and on her goals ? classic Lara and reboot Lara are no different in that aspect .

Quote:
Rutland and Amanda warn her a few times and tell her to stay away but does Lara listen? Nope! She follows them,
C'mon , so you want Lara to be this easily directed woman who steadily obeys a spoiled brat with an army of mercenaries and a half-insane woman controlled by a mysterious entity ? you can't be serious

"Stay away from us , Lara !"
" Okay, I will enjoy your time !"

Quote:
she doesn't listen to Amanda in the end and then she blames Amanda for her own stupidity.
But come to think of it , why would she ? yep, perhaps Amanda knew more about Lara at that point about the stone daises , but Lara has no reason to believe so , especially knowing that what she's seen of Amanda up until that point doesn't give the impression of a woman in full sanity and full ontrol of herself . Lara could'e probably thought that Amanda is trying to trick her to pull the sword in order to kill her or that she's simply spewing some gibberish .

Last edited by Patrick star; 29-06-17 at 13:56.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-17, 14:26   #19
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
But isn't the core of Lara's character a determined woman so stubborn and focused and on her goals ? classic Lara and reboot Lara are no different in that aspect .
That's the one thing all of the Laras have in common but the details in their behaviour are different: Classic Lara is stubborn because she's a rebel, reboot Lara is stubborn because she wants to find the truth but LAU Lara is stubborn because she wants to find her mum.

Quote:
C'mon , so you want Lara to be this easily directed woman who steadily obeys a spoiled brat with an army of mercenaries and a half-insane woman controlled by a mysterious entity ? you can't be serious

"Stay away from us , Lara !"
" Okay, I will enjoy your time !"
Like Krumpet said before: Amanda wasn't hostile until Underworld. She wanted to do her own thing and Lara should stay away from her. And Lara didn't even ask any questions about Avalon or Excalibur, even though Amanda certainly knew more about it than Lara did.

Quote:
But come to think of it , why would she ? yep, perhaps Amanda knew more about Lara at that point about the stone daises , but Lara has no reason to believe so , especially knowing that what she's seen of Amanda up until that point doesn't give the impression of a woman in full sanity and full ontrol of herself . Lara could'e probably thought that Amanda is trying to trick her to pull the sword in order to kill her or that she's simply spewing some gibberish .
That's a problem during the whole game: Lara seems to underestimate Amanda the whole time and thinks that she knows everything better. At no point did Amanda try to kill Lara just for the sake of it. Yes, she tells her mercenaries to keep her at bay and sent fluffy to fight Lara, but she always did this after warning Lara and after Lara didn't listen to her anyway. But classic Lara for example never underestimated her antagonists, even when they were possessed by demons or became crazy.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-17, 15:50   #20
Krumpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
I like the analysis but you forgot about something, Amanda was the one who attacked Lara first in Kazakhstan. She ordered her men to throw a grenade at her in the lab so she really was being evil. Apart from that, she took control of the same stone that killed their friends in Paraiso. She even thought it how to fetch. Amanda's mad.
She didn't attack Lara though. Her first instinct when Lara sees her was to walk away, and when Lara couldn't take the hint she wasn't interested in talking she tells the soldier "Don't let her follow me". Hence why he used the grenade to destroy the bridge so Lara couldn't follow rather than shoot her on sight.

Compare that situation to Natla in Egypt when she says "Well? Kill her!"/"Kill her quickly! We have work to do!" or Ana in the Cathedral when she orders "Shoot her! Now"/"Kill her and bring me that goddamned Atlas!". There's no misinterpreting their orders - they both want Lara dead. If Amanda wanted to harm Lara she would have been much more direct about it. She wasn't being evil at all in that scene.

Regarding the stone - while it may have killed their friends, Amanda also made it clear controlling it is also what saved her life in Pariaso. It wasn't as black and white as her going mad.
Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote