Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 11-03-18, 19:47   #31
laracroftonline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
I'm going to be completely honest.
I'm so glad they didn't went with the Ascension direction. It was too horror centric for my taste

If I had to pick something from it still, maybe the more acrobatic moves. I really loved how acrobatic Lara was in LAU. Not as much acrobatic, but with some new moves
i'm so sad they went with the ultimate cliche story
laracroftonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 20:17   #32
VictorXD

I must be one of the few people who think Ascension was very TRish and innovative at the same time.

Huge and scary monsters have been a part of the franchise since day one, macabre and eerie places as well, just look at TR1 Atlantis. The horse is a vehicle of sorts so nothing new there. Motorbikes... I don't even need to say it do I?

I really like the look of the colossal creatures, I feel like huge beasts is something LAU had a severe lack of.

Combat feels like a natural evolution of the classic TR combat so I have no problem with it.

Only the idea of taking care of the little girl is completely out of place and should burn in a pool of fire.
VictorXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 20:53   #33
MBog

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post

Only the idea of taking care of the little girl is completely out of place and should burn in a pool of fire.
I think that if they kept the idea, then tomb raider could ve had it all honestly: strange creatures, great gameplay, and a very good story. Having another character with you in today s game industry only results in great character development and thus a better story. Take as example The Last of Us.

At the same time I believe that if they went full throtle with implementing all those features, there would ve remained nothing new for the sequel.

Seeing how creative the team originally was, I think we should have expectations from tomb raider to become something more, while keeping the core elements. Think of it as evolution on steroids

Last edited by MBog; 11-03-18 at 20:54.
MBog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 21:08   #34
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBog View Post
I think that if they kept the idea, then tomb raider could ve had it all honestly: strange creatures, great gameplay, and a very good story. Having another character with you in today s game industry only results in great character development and thus a better story. Take as example The Last of Us.
Only if handled well. And if TR2013 shows us anything it is that Crystal Dynamics are no Naughty Dog when it comes to secondary characters. So why would Ascension be any different to TR2013 in this respect?
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 21:12   #35
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBog View Post
Are you kidding me? This is CD, you might as well hope for a miracle

CD could never reach TLOU level of making us care for the little girl + implementing her in gameplay in a good and believable way. Besides, Ellie was a ******* bad ass Not some scared little girl.

Quote:

At the same time I believe that if they went full throtle with implementing all those features, there would ve remained nothing new for the sequel.
Well, in my opinion they didn't really achieved it anyway with Rise The sequel improved upon some things but nothing that made it really stand out from the previous game IMO besides the graphics.

They could have been more much more creative with the supernatural/gameplay e.g. giving us monsters or vehicles, and we yet what we got was exactly the same as the previous one, no vehicles and an undead army wearing old armour and speaking a foreign language protecting something they thought was valuable while in fact they are just sitting on top of an old thing while doing nothing for millennia.

Quote:
Seeing how creative the team originally was, I think we should have expectations from tomb raider to become something more, while keeping the core elements. Think of it as evolution on steroids
This is exactly how I feel about Ascension tbh. Also nice Natlaing there
VictorXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 21:12   #36
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
Only if handled well. And if TR2013 shows us anything it is that Crystal Dynamics are no Naughty Dog when it comes to secondary characters. So why would Ascension be any different to TR2013 in this respect?
The side characters are never around during gameplay, something that Naughty Dog games rely on to develop their characters. Most Tomb Raider fans prefer the sense of isolation. They would hate the buddy system that Naughty Dog games use.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 21:28   #37
Grimaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
I must be one of the few people who think Ascension was very TRish and innovative at the same time.
I think so too. It actually looked like my perfect game and I think about it often. A Japanese setting and approach to horror? A steely expression on an untested but clearly capable Lara? Horse-riding and combat against supernatural foes? Yes, yes, yes.

The colossal-sized beasts are too similar to SotC for my liking and the child/monkey companion doesn’t interest me at all, but taking those away, the concept and art designs are really strong.

It’s just a shame they missed their window for a game like that. If Shadow took a turn into darker territory like Ascension, it wouldn’t have the same impact. Lara isn’t as vulnerable, they’ve already set this realistic tone so it’d probably clash, bleh. Maybe someday.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 21:45   #38
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
The side characters are never around during gameplay, something that Naughty Dog games rely on to develop their characters. Most Tomb Raider fans prefer the sense of isolation. They would hate the buddy system that Naughty Dog games use.
Yes and it's not like I'm requesting Crystal to take leaf out of Naughty Dog's book in this respect at all. I don't want any side characters to follow along Lara at all. Personally I would hate such a TR game exactly because in a TR game I want that sense of isolation.
All I was saying is that if they were to include a side character Last of Us style in Ascension then nothing would point towards them being able to pull it off successfully given how poorly executed the side characters in TR2013 are.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-18, 19:12   #39
Pyro99

I doubt they'll use it. They said that Ascension was too horror and not TR enough (which I disagreed with), so after seeing the kind of stuff they're comfortable with in TR9 and Rise, I doubt they'll go in that direction. The trailer for Shadow did set a kinda dark tone, I'll admit that much, but then again so did the other games' trailers too
Pyro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-18, 20:19   #40
Blackmoor

I just want something a little bit more dangerous and unexpected than what we've had before.

Creepy creatures fits into that. Provided it isn't overdone.... often I find good ideas in these games quickly become trite because they're done to death.

Less is more. More or less.

As they say.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote