Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 09-02-18, 17:02   #11
veigafd

Stop..i'm crying right now..but seriously..we are just preventing a "Devil may cry effect" on our beloved franchise.
veigafd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 17:09   #12
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by veigafd View Post
Stop..i'm crying right now..but seriously..we are just preventing a "Devil may cry effect" on our beloved franchise.
What do you mean by that?
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 17:12   #13
Nigel Cassidy

I agree as well, at least as to how things stand now, because with the general lack of consistency in the game development world I think it's not impossible that at some point reboot 'Lara' might acquire some Lara Croft traits if the marketing department or the Square Enix stock holders or god knows who may think that's necessary.

But for now, yes that's right, reboot Lara is not Lara Croft. Actually she's no Lara at all as far as I'm concerned.

But I do blame Crystal D & Square E for not being honest with us about that, we had to find it out for ourselves. Then again maybe that is due to them not knowing either what course they're gonna sail.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 17:15   #14
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
I agree as well, at least as to how things stand now, because with the general lack of consistency in the game development world I think it's not impossible that at some point reboot 'Lara' might acquire some Lara Croft traits if the marketing department or the Square Enix stock holders or god knows who may think that's necessary.

But for now, yes that's right, reboot Lara is not Lara Croft. Actually she's no Lara at all as far as I'm concerned.

But I do blame Crystal D & Square E for not being honest with us about that, we had to find it out for ourselves. Then again maybe that is due to them not knowing either what course they're gonna sail.
That's probably it. I have a feeling they're making things up as they go along.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 17:20   #15
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
That's probably it. I have a feeling they're making things up as they go along.
Yeah, when they said: 'forget everything you know about Tomb Raider', and 'this is how she became the Lara Croft we all know and love' at the same time I do not believe that they are intentionally deceitful and evil and all that. It's just that they have no idea what they're doing...
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 17:38   #16
Blackmoor

If she truly has nothing to do with Lara Croft and they didn't want any expectations associated with it, there was no need to call her Lara Croft.

They can't have it both ways - they used the brand to create interest and expectation based on the brand values it had gathered from its original defining character. They can't then say, well it isn't that Lara it's someone else and wonder why people aren't always happy about it.

It's like calling marmalade, jam, because jam sells better and you want bigger sales. And then wondering why people are complaining it's marmalade and not jam.

----
Now, having said that, I personally don't care if she turns out like old Lara, I'm happy to see some invention and tweaking provided it's done well and suits my tastes.

But I do understand why there is this expectation around what Lara Croft should be.

Because I feel a bit like that about the gameplay of "Tomb Raider".
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 17:58   #17
Mikky

Quote:
She is not classic Lara and she never will be.
I've always thought so. Even if she got dual pistols and her classic outfit, it still wouldn't be classic Lara. Well, it would be for a lot of fans who just care about the surface qualities, but as an actual character, no. I just don't see how reboot Lara is anything like Core Lara, personality-wise. Unless she got amnesia, I don't see how they could do a 180 out of nowhere and turn her to this other woman. Sure, she has some traits, but hey, I could go traveling and be sarcastic occasionally, doesn't mean I'm classic Lara Croft.

But I think this is all okay. Personally, I don't think reboot Lara is as interesting as classic Lara, but there is potential and I can still enjoy her for who she is, without any comparisons. That's how everyone should be looking at her, if you ask me: a new character with her own traits, without any pre-conceptions.

However, it's unfortunate that with new movie coming out, we will have yet another iteration of Lara, and this time she will be shown to a even wider audience. New comparisons will come about, not to mention more demands of "this is how reboot Lara should have been all along". I just hope it doesn't affect the games at all.
Mikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 17:59   #18
Cezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickybyrne20 View Post
But Brian Horton promoted the game in that light. That in ROTTR we'll see more of the Lara we know and love. "She's becoming the Tomb Raider". That to me means they better make her more like Classic Lara or I'm going to be pissed off. It's an Origin story of Lara Croft, who is already an established character.

Agree! <3

Reboot Lara is the most botring character, so yes, I hope too that this Lara from TR9 and TR10 will evolve into the classic one.
Cezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 18:11   #19
JACOBryanBURNS
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickybyrne20 View Post
But Brian Horton promoted the game in that light. That in ROTTR we'll see more of the Lara we know and love. "She's becoming the Tomb Raider". That to me means they better make her more like Classic Lara or I'm going to be pissed off. It's an Origin story of Lara Croft, who is already an established character.
I always thought this was their stupidest mistake, really. Lara as THE Tomb Raider as if it's some hand of destiny role to fill. "Tomb Raider" by nature of it's legacy has just become a catchy title with a game legacy attached to it, but as an actual thing, it's just a thing someone does. Just switch out the words and you can quickly see what I mean. "Lara is becoming THE Grave Burglar." First of all, being a tomb raider/grave burglar means you're stealing priceless cultural artifacts that you have no claim or right to. It's the very antithesis of this hero character they've built. Their premise is shot from the get-go because her morals and her goals are at odds with her game's legacy and namesake.

But this is why I think it's possible, if they're smart, that they'll fashion her more into the character we've had in games past. It's really the best way to suit her actions. You just cant be a save-the-world-hero and steal priceless **** from ancient sites and kill a bunch of people doing it while claiming you're anything other than a gray-area criminal at BEST.

Even the hammy movies never made this mistake and even pitted Lara against Alex West, a fellow Tomb Raider, who seemed to be more motivated by money than the thrill or interest of it. But it was no more or less valid than Lara's ambitions for it.

Last edited by JACOBryanBURNS; 09-02-18 at 18:12.
JACOBryanBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 18:38   #20
AntRaidsTombs

Whoever said she was? They said she would be close to classic Lara but not the same.
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote