Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 03-02-14, 22:32   #161
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4RR7H View Post
Sounds like a thick string arpeggio. Pretty hard to replicate without an actual orchestra. Best to ask a composer who renders software instruments. Wish Folmann was on Twitter. You could ask Jason Graves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomekkobialka View Post
That sounds like a combination of effects placed on top of each other (which Troels often does). They're string effects, that's for sure.

One of the effects is a rapid, aggressive glissando downwards made by the higher strings. You can't recreate this digitally because the whole idea is that you have a large number of string players, with each player playing something different, so you get this clash of pitches.

The other effect is (I think) the same glissando, just not done as aggressively. So instead of rapidly moving the bow backwards and forwards, the glissando is covered with just one stroke. But again, the fact that there are lots of players and each one is playing something differently prevents the glissando from sounding flat, and means that you can't recreate it accurately with your standard MIDI string library.

Obviously, I can't be sure about all this. But either way, I found a patch in Symphobia called "Str Ens gliss vln vla"; here are a few excerpts from that patch:

string fx

Probably not the exact same one Troels used, but it definitely sounds similar.
Thanks so much, both of you ! And yeah, tomekkobialka, that does indeed sound like the same kind of effect Troels used. Shame that it can't be recreated digitally but oh well. Thanks for the link, though .

Last edited by Zebra; 03-02-14 at 22:34.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 10:47   #162
peeves

I like how the string fx sounds. That person who composed that string fx did a nice job.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-14, 05:41   #163
H4RR7H

Good news - finally deposited all of the MP3 and FLAC releases with Justin. Hopefully they'll be up on TRC.com for download soon. Please refer to MoTR's up-to-date community developed discography to ensure you have the latest releases.
H4RR7H is offline   Reply With Quote