www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 10-07-18, 19:23   #31
Karen_Leslie
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
I'm suspicious that TR3 and TRLR were so impossibly difficult because if nobody actually finished them, Core Design wouldn't be forced to create a new one without fail every year Of course, with such a dedicated fanbase nothing stays lost or unsolved forever.. poor Core
I think with TRIII, it was originally planned as a spin-off, and then they were going to do something different for the third game in the series. I think they might have made it harder because they were thinking of it as a spinoff for hardcore fans, not a continuation of the main series.

Originally they were going to take a break after TRII and then the next game was meant to be a reinvention of the series, but after doing a bunch of work on what was then a "side" game, they just said "the heck with it" and decided to call it TR3. Still not sure if that was the right decision, all these years later.
Karen_Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 21:45   #32
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_Leslie View Post
I think with TRIII, it was originally planned as a spin-off, and then they were going to do something different for the third game in the series. I think they might have made it harder because they were thinking of it as a spinoff for hardcore fans, not a continuation of the main series.

Originally they were going to take a break after TRII and then the next game was meant to be a reinvention of the series, but after doing a bunch of work on what was then a "side" game, they just said "the heck with it" and decided to call it TR3. Still not sure if that was the right decision, all these years later.
I think I heard the spin-off thing was actually true, there were two teams, can't remember what the first one worked on (probably is what became TR4), while the spin-off team made 3.
Old 11-07-18, 14:26   #33
Karen_Leslie
Historian

Imagine that meeting at Core Design.

"Okay, we're splitting our staff into two teams: one to work on the next proper Tomb Raider title, one to work on a spin-off starring Lara. Show of hands: who here is sadistic and enjoys making children cry?"

*half the staff raises their hands*

"Excellent, go work on the spin-off. Only come back when you've made something where people are gonna die 100 times on the first level alone."
Old 11-07-18, 15:33   #34
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Imagine that meeting at Core Design.

"Okay, we're splitting our staff into two teams: one to work on the next proper Tomb Raider title, one to work on a spin-off starring Lara. Show of hands: who here is sadistic and enjoys making children cry?"

*half the staff raises their hands*

"Excellent, go work on the spin-off. Only come back when you've made something where people are gonna die 100 times on the first level alone."
Yeah pretty much!
I like 3 for alot of its challenge aspects (Significantly more rare weapons/ammo/health, has some of the tougher regular enemies in the series like the Tinnos mutants) but some of the traps (Like the Alydwch Trains, a good number of the spike rooms with levers since the ceiling is really low, the Drill room, since it you're literally going blind til' you've died 5 times) really bring down the experience for me.
Old 18-07-18, 18:25   #35
Karen_Leslie
Historian

Just posted Opera House:

http://otakusphere.com/2018/07/18/to...4-opera-house/

Done with Lara's Italian holiday, now it's time to tackle the pack of underwater levels that never end. Oh joy

Lol, I do like some of those levels, there's just too many of them for me.
Old 18-07-18, 21:26   #36
FreakRaider

this is actually a very interesting approach to kind of "let's play" a game, however, isn't it a bit exhausting with always taking screens and such?
FreakRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 21:28   #37
HarleyCroft
Explorer

"Iíve spoken before about how I prefer it when this series sticks to tombs instead of modern areas, but one thing I didnít realize until this playthrough is that Opera House actually kind of works as a tomb. Think about it; opera is close to being a dead art form. Yes, operas are still performed, all over the world, but they only appeal to a very small percentage of the population. As far as popular culture is concerned, opera is dead as a doornail."

My goodness, you have an interesting view on pretty much every level synopsis I've read
HarleyCroft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-18, 01:18   #38
Karen_Leslie
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakRaider View Post
this is actually a very interesting approach to kind of "let's play" a game, however, isn't it a bit exhausting with always taking screens and such?
It is a bit labor intensive, but this is the way that feels natural for me. I think video LPs are cool and all, but I don't think what I want to do would lend itself too well to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft
My goodness, you have an interesting view on pretty much every level synopsis I've read
Thanks, I try! I wonder if I'll be able to keep it up if I get to TRIII and TLR and whatnot. At some point I might just be like "Nice level, pretty graphics, 4/5," lol.
Old 19-07-18, 07:59   #39
Anne Boleyn
Explorer

Quote:
It is a bit labor intensive, but this is the way that feels natural for me. I think video LPs are cool and all, but I don't think what I want to do would lend itself too well to them.

Thanks, I try! I wonder if I'll be able to keep it up if I get to TRIII and TLR and whatnot. At some point I might just be like "Nice level, pretty graphics, 4/5," lol.
Thanks for Opera House! I prefer these to video letís plays. I tried a similar approach of written reviews of TRII myself back when I was a bairn!

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=127640
Old 19-07-18, 17:20   #40
Karen_Leslie
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Boleyn View Post
I tried a similar approach of written reviews of TRII myself back when I was a bairn!

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=127640
Your reviews are funny, I chuckled quite a bit