www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-07-18, 19:23   #31
Karen_Leslie
Historian
 
Karen_Leslie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
I'm suspicious that TR3 and TRLR were so impossibly difficult because if nobody actually finished them, Core Design wouldn't be forced to create a new one without fail every year Of course, with such a dedicated fanbase nothing stays lost or unsolved forever.. poor Core
I think with TRIII, it was originally planned as a spin-off, and then they were going to do something different for the third game in the series. I think they might have made it harder because they were thinking of it as a spinoff for hardcore fans, not a continuation of the main series.

Originally they were going to take a break after TRII and then the next game was meant to be a reinvention of the series, but after doing a bunch of work on what was then a "side" game, they just said "the heck with it" and decided to call it TR3. Still not sure if that was the right decision, all these years later.
Karen_Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 21:45   #32
Samz
Professor
 
Samz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Helheim
Posts: 2,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_Leslie View Post
I think with TRIII, it was originally planned as a spin-off, and then they were going to do something different for the third game in the series. I think they might have made it harder because they were thinking of it as a spinoff for hardcore fans, not a continuation of the main series.

Originally they were going to take a break after TRII and then the next game was meant to be a reinvention of the series, but after doing a bunch of work on what was then a "side" game, they just said "the heck with it" and decided to call it TR3. Still not sure if that was the right decision, all these years later.
I think I heard the spin-off thing was actually true, there were two teams, can't remember what the first one worked on (probably is what became TR4), while the spin-off team made 3.
__________________
"What does it mean to a Tomb Raider?,It means to collect artifacts for sport"
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-18, 14:26   #33
Karen_Leslie
Historian
 
Karen_Leslie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 324
Default

Imagine that meeting at Core Design.

"Okay, we're splitting our staff into two teams: one to work on the next proper Tomb Raider title, one to work on a spin-off starring Lara. Show of hands: who here is sadistic and enjoys making children cry?"

*half the staff raises their hands*

"Excellent, go work on the spin-off. Only come back when you've made something where people are gonna die 100 times on the first level alone."
Karen_Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-18, 15:33   #34
Samz
Professor
 
Samz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Helheim
Posts: 2,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_Leslie View Post
Imagine that meeting at Core Design.

"Okay, we're splitting our staff into two teams: one to work on the next proper Tomb Raider title, one to work on a spin-off starring Lara. Show of hands: who here is sadistic and enjoys making children cry?"

*half the staff raises their hands*

"Excellent, go work on the spin-off. Only come back when you've made something where people are gonna die 100 times on the first level alone."
Yeah pretty much!
I like 3 for alot of its challenge aspects (Significantly more rare weapons/ammo/health, has some of the tougher regular enemies in the series like the Tinnos mutants) but some of the traps (Like the Alydwch Trains, a good number of the spike rooms with levers since the ceiling is really low, the Drill room, since it you're literally going blind til' you've died 5 times) really bring down the experience for me.
__________________
"What does it mean to a Tomb Raider?,It means to collect artifacts for sport"
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 18:25   #35
Karen_Leslie
Historian
 
Karen_Leslie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 324
Default

Just posted Opera House:

http://otakusphere.com/2018/07/18/to...4-opera-house/

Done with Lara's Italian holiday, now it's time to tackle the pack of underwater levels that never end. Oh joy

Lol, I do like some of those levels, there's just too many of them for me.
Karen_Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 21:26   #36
FreakRaider
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Junior Member
Posts: 3,151
Default

this is actually a very interesting approach to kind of "let's play" a game, however, isn't it a bit exhausting with always taking screens and such?
FreakRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 21:28   #37
HarleyCroft
Explorer
 
HarleyCroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 783
Default

"Iíve spoken before about how I prefer it when this series sticks to tombs instead of modern areas, but one thing I didnít realize until this playthrough is that Opera House actually kind of works as a tomb. Think about it; opera is close to being a dead art form. Yes, operas are still performed, all over the world, but they only appeal to a very small percentage of the population. As far as popular culture is concerned, opera is dead as a doornail."

My goodness, you have an interesting view on pretty much every level synopsis I've read
HarleyCroft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-18, 01:18   #38
Karen_Leslie
Historian
 
Karen_Leslie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakRaider View Post
this is actually a very interesting approach to kind of "let's play" a game, however, isn't it a bit exhausting with always taking screens and such?
It is a bit labor intensive, but this is the way that feels natural for me. I think video LPs are cool and all, but I don't think what I want to do would lend itself too well to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft
My goodness, you have an interesting view on pretty much every level synopsis I've read
Thanks, I try! I wonder if I'll be able to keep it up if I get to TRIII and TLR and whatnot. At some point I might just be like "Nice level, pretty graphics, 4/5," lol.
Karen_Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-18, 07:59   #39
Anne Boleyn
Explorer
 
Anne Boleyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_Leslie View Post
It is a bit labor intensive, but this is the way that feels natural for me. I think video LPs are cool and all, but I don't think what I want to do would lend itself too well to them.

Thanks, I try! I wonder if I'll be able to keep it up if I get to TRIII and TLR and whatnot. At some point I might just be like "Nice level, pretty graphics, 4/5," lol.
Thanks for Opera House! I prefer these to video letís plays. I tried a similar approach of written reviews of TRII myself back when I was a bairn!

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=127640
__________________
The King is a hunter. When he has sported he will kill - and I am the prey.
Anne Boleyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-18, 17:20   #40
Karen_Leslie
Historian
 
Karen_Leslie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Boleyn View Post
I tried a similar approach of written reviews of TRII myself back when I was a bairn!

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=127640
Your reviews are funny, I chuckled quite a bit
Karen_Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 15:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.