www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 11-07-18, 13:05   #1
Zreen001
Professor

Default The Amulet and Possession

I may be going overboard in thinking about this, but I wanted to see others' thoughts on this.

The timeline of the Amulet of Horus goes:
  1. Inscribed by Semerkhet about the purpose of the Amulet, what will happen if Set is released, etc.
  2. Used to seal Set inside his execution sarcophagus
  3. Removed by Lara, sand turns into blood. Possessed dogs and mummies have already been running (walking) about before Lara removed the Amulet.
  4. Lara reads the inscription, upon being ambushed by the guide her continuing translation occurs during a growing storm in which the Tomb of Set explodes from a lightning strike.
  5. Weather clears after the guide takes off with VonCroy's goons
  6. Jean-Yves explains the Amulet, Armor, and the end of the world
  7. Used to enter the Tomb of Semerkhet, which can't be removed or the door closes.
  8. VonCroy and Lara have a chat, VonCroy removes the Amulet, immediately the storm from before rolls over and one of the Set statues outside the entrance gets possessed and looks at VonCroy before a sudden fade-out.
  9. They meet again in the Library of Alexandria, VonCroy isn't possessed.
  10. While VonCroy is bringing Jean-Yves to Cairo, VonCroy gets possessed. Cairo plunges into literal hell.
  11. VonCroy is fully possessed in the Citadel, Jean-Yves describes him to Lara. Lara and VonCroy discuss godly matters in the Crypt, Lara traps him the same way VonCroy had trapped her.
  12. Set leaves VonCroy to stop Lara from summoning Horus, possesses the Armor itself and Lara traps him with the Amulet once again.
  13. Von Croy arrives, no indication of possession.
  14. AOD Von Croy is not possessed.

So, as far as the Amulet's power goes, it's neither a friend nor foe of Set, but can be tracked by Set himself to follow certain persons (followed Lara to the Tomb of Semerkhet, found VonCroy, followed Lara to the Temple of Horus after she retrieved it) yet is also contained by it (the sarcophagus, the Crypt --sort of--, the Temple of Horus). Cleopatra knew about the Armor, and the machinery beneath her throne room that created duplicates may have been an attempt at recreating the binding power of the Amulet in the event it gets removed, but Cleopatra's death stalls that project (speculation on my part).

So what about possession itself? Did Lara just happen to avoid Set's possession on her way to the Tomb of Semerkhet and VonCroy happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time? Or does Set also use peoples' emotions close to the Amulet to extend his power? Do people have certain immunities to possession like Lara or Jean-Yves? (supposedly, we've never seen Jean-Yves in possession of the Amulet itself). Consider the immediate aftermath of Lara removing the Amulet the first time: sand turns into blood, Lara reads the inscription once outside, we see the binding had turned Set's blood into sand; weather is clear until the guide appears, then the storm appears and lightning blasts the chamber entrance; weather clears again when the guide runs off; weather goes wonky again when VonCroy takes the Amulet from the Tomb of Semerkhet, and it's all over the place in Cairo, but only mild weather in Giza (aside from the literal hell-holes).
Old 11-07-18, 20:00   #2
Anne Boleyn
Explorer

I wish I had an answer to this. Just as a possibility: all of the events of the game were meant to be “foretold” as “the last revelation”. Set had one opportunity to gain mastery over the world, when the planets aligned at the turn of the millennium. He gained strength enough to possess a human and act through it, but only at the moment seen in the game. Why did he choose Von Croy? Perhaps because Von Croy had a private army. Perhaps also Lara was destined to be Set’s adversary, and so he chose to inhabit the man who was already out to stop her. Of course, this invites the question of why he didn’t just inhabit Lara and make her jump off a cliff!

In a lot of possession myths, the victim has to be flirting with the possessor, either intentionally or unintentionally. In modern western mythology it’s usually by communicating with the possessing spirit in some way. Perhaps Von Croy had been opening himself up (keep your minds out of the gutter) to the other side in the course of his own work. It’s less a case of being immune to possession than not inviting it. When Von Croy had the amulet, he must have somehow invited Set in in a way Lara didn’t, maybe because she had good intentions and he was up to no good...

The real reason is, of course, plot.

Last edited by Anne Boleyn; 11-07-18 at 20:04.
Anne Boleyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-18, 20:46   #3
Samz
Archaeologist

I guess maybe emotion/mental strength possibly effects it?
Old 11-07-18, 20:47   #4
Maverin
Historian

I was asking myself the same thing. Why did it possess Von Croy and not Lara? Just like Anne Boleyn says, Set might receive his power from planets getting aligned, so we can assume that he was not at full power yet when Lara had it in her possession. I also believe since Lara was younger and healthier and also more prepared as she believes in magical stuff, she was able to withstand it's power better. Von Croy, who didn't believe in any of that was an easy victim of the mind I guess, especially since he was already power hungry and thus more easily controlled.

To be honest we all know the real reason is that Seth just didn't want to be a woman and therefore waited until the amulet was in the hands of a man
Old 11-07-18, 20:49   #5
Samz
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
I was asking myself the same thing. Why did it possess Von Croy and not Lara? Just like Anne Boleyn says, Set might receive his power from planets getting aligned, so we can assume that he was not at full power yet when Lara had it in her possession. I also believe since Lara was younger and healthier and also more prepared as she believes in magical stuff, she was able to withstand it's power better. Von Croy, who didn't believe in any of that was an easy victim of the mind I guess, especially since he was already power hungry and thus more easily controlled.

To be honest we all know the real reason is that Seth just didn't want to be a woman and therefore waited until the amulet was in the hands of a man
Well yeah, Seth is gay, I'm not joking, Seth is gay, and he had a...fun time with his Brother Horus that happened to involve some lettuce, look it up on Wikipedia, its a shame they didn't include that in the game.
Old 11-07-18, 21:40   #6
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

I assumed it has to with a hidden power the amulet possesses that makes the person who removes the amulet immune to any sort of trickery by Set. Semerkhet does a lot of talking about how things are only shown “to the bearer of the amulet”.

It also makes Lara immune to other things as well, such as the red eyed Guardian of Semerkhet. Before she has the chat with VC she sees the eyes in the darkness. They identify her while she visualizes the possibility of it being a threat, before it turns away in disinterest into the darkness, cue VC to startle her and steal the amulet.

It’s further backed up by the ending of the level Guardian of Semerkhet where Lara manages to leave the tomb unscathed where as the guide she traps in the tomb is then stumbled upon by the red eyed beast and this time he does attack.

The reason he possesses VC is bc he’s the most powerful person other than Lara that is closest to the amulet. He has the assassins, the man power for digging to find the ceremonial tablet, and could possibly trick Lara into handing over the amulet. She is however never fooled by his tricks.

Last edited by Quebsenuef; 11-07-18 at 21:42.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 09:55   #7
Maverin
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Well yeah, Seth is gay, I'm not joking, Seth is gay, and he had a...fun time with his Brother Horus that happened to involve some lettuce, look it up on Wikipedia, its a shame they didn't include that in the game.
You are right, I can't believe this

Seth got Horus drunk on a party and lured him to his sleeping quarters. Seth then raped Horus and Horus caught his semen with his hands. That is the story told on Wikipedia. However, the rape was meant to shame Horus so I guess they were not really gay. It's still a strange story though. Apologies if it's a bit too much for this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
It also makes Lara immune to other things as well, such as the red eyed Guardian of Semerkhet. Before she has the chat with VC she sees the eyes in the darkness. They identify her while she visualizes the possibility of it being a threat, before it turns away in disinterest into the darkness. It’s further backed up by the ending of the level Guardian of Semerkhet where Lara manages to leave the tomb unscathed where as the guide she traps in the tomb is then stumbled upon by the red eyed beast and this time he does attack.
I'm pretty sure the red eyed beast was meant to represent the bull at the end of the level aka the Semerkhet. FMV were always much more intimidating then the real thing. Lara threw the guide back in the tomb where she just got out, this is also where the bull happened to be. That's why he got killed or at least so I think. Feel free to prove me wrong.
Old 12-07-18, 12:11   #8
Fantasy Fan
Student

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the red eyed beast was meant to represent the bull at the end of the level aka the Semerkhet. FMV were always much more intimidating then the real thing. Lara threw the guide back in the tomb where she just got out, this is also where the bull happened to be. That's why he got killed or at least so I think. Feel free to prove me wrong.
You know, this actually springs a question in my mind. Like what if the bull, isn't actually a bull? Taking the FMV into account, I now wonder if that was what they intended the beast to be like, and they just placed a random jeweled bull for whatever reason :thinking:
Fantasy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 12:23   #9
Samz
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy Fan View Post
You know, this actually springs a question in my mind. Like what if the bull, isn't actually a bull? Taking the FMV into account, I now wonder if that was what they intended the beast to be like, and they just placed a random jeweled bull for whatever reason :thinking:
Would not be the first FMV-Gameplay difference in LR, Lara's pistols weirdly change to colt 1911's in cutscenes (and for some reason the inventory model, but not the ingame model are 1911's, but the actual pistols Lara uses in gameplay are still the Browning Hi-powers.), sometimes her pistols change to dual Desert Eagles in cutscenes aswell, plus the in-game model has an exposed Cleavage. (Wouldn't surprise me if Eidos told them to that, they wanted a nude code for TR2 after all, and changing the texture on a model is easier than changing an FMV model.)
Old 12-07-18, 16:02   #10
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Quote:

Heres a post from some time ago that explains what I mean better. The bull is just an obstacle for Lara to get past. Not the actual Guardian of Semerkhet.
If hes the real Guardian, hes pretty awful. Hes not even guarding anything other than the possible exit. The real Guardian is the unknown Red Eyes.