www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 10-07-18, 22:37   #31
AntRaidsTombs
Professor

I kept saying Rhi wasn't the problem with Rise's story, it was CD trying to play it safe due to that exclusivity
Old 10-07-18, 22:45   #32
2001LC20
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
I kept saying Rhi wasn't the problem with Rise's story, it was CD trying to play it safe due to that exclusivity
What does exclusivity have to do with story?

I am not a hater though i am curious
Old 10-07-18, 23:57   #33
Portugalraider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
Nah, if anything the exclusivity would have given them a safer net to get bolder with the direction of the game.

Honestly, I think it was more of a "SE wasn't impressed by the sales of TReboot for some reason, so we need to play it really safe now" case, with the deal probably happening a bit too late to actually "allow" CD to go bolder.

CD could and should have still go bolder though. I can see the reasoning for the direction of this game (which I love and prefer to TReboot), but I still think they should just go for the better story that is still buried within the game.
Old 11-07-18, 16:01   #34
just*raidin*tomb
Tomb Raider

I don't understand how much Square Enix expects out of Tomb Raider... I mean it sold better than The Witcher and that game is generally regarded is a masterpiece.
just*raidin*tomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-18, 20:39   #35
TrustyBow
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post

Honestly, I think it was more of a "SE wasn't impressed by the sales of TReboot for some reason, so we need to play it really safe now" case, with the deal probably happening a bit too late to actually "allow" CD to go bolder.
Considering its the highest selling in the franchise by a wide margin, I'd like to think they were satisfied.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-18, 22:59   #36
Portugalraider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Considering its the highest selling in the franchise by a wide margin, I'd like to think they were satisfied.
But here's the thing: would the game have sold less if they were more ambitious with the story? If there was no Richard drama and was just about Lara dealing with PTSD like Rhianna Pratchett wanted? If it was more directly stated that Lara was just using Richard as an excuse for her trying to prove herself right about seeing Himiko's soul, as it is clearly hinted in the actual game? If Ana and Lara did really care for each other, even in the current situation? If Konstantin was shown to truly be thorn up between saving his sister and following orders and the will of God, as it is implied? If Jacob was more set as someone who has done terrible mistakes and dubious acts during cutscenes and not only in backstory told by the challenge tombs and the documents? And if Trinity was set has having some merit on their purpose, just with too extreme actions?

I would actually would say that the game would have probably sold better, because it would have a much more interesting story than the one we got, and many games are now selling basically due to story alone. With the helper that they would most certainly have had spent as much money on story and cinematics as they did as it is.

I love RotTR and I actually do enjoy its narrative. But I can't deny it could have been so much better, and it wasn't just because CD was too scared and played too safe.
Old 11-07-18, 23:07   #37
2001LC20
Relic Hunter

I can't deny i would want a TR2013 or even Shadow level story from Riae but i still love it's story and Rise is still is sitting at the throne as the best TR game for me! Hope Shadow is enough good to take the throne!
Old 12-07-18, 12:36   #38
leomage
Historian

People are calling Rhianna a hypocrite but it seems clear to me that she's insinuating that TR13 wasn't the kind of origin she wanted for Lara Croft, and that she didn't have much choice in the matter. She's implied over and over again that she had minimal control over the direction of series, and most of her ideas were denied.

She said on twitter "I stepped away from the franchise earlier this year. For many reasons it was time to move on." I suspect one reason was CD's overbearing management style, and another reason was fandom blaming her for every aspect of the game they didn't like, most of which she obviously had no control over.

Being blamed for Lara's "daddy issues" (a plot line she didn't even want) right around the time her dad died couldn't have been a nice experience.
leomage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 13:20   #39
AshesBorn
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomage View Post
People are calling Rhianna a hypocrite but it seems clear to me that she's insinuating that TR13 wasn't the kind of origin she wanted for Lara Croft, and that she didn't have much choice in the matter. She's implied over and over again that she had minimal control over the direction of series, and most of her ideas were denied.

She said on twitter "I stepped away from the franchise earlier this year. For many reasons it was time to move on." I suspect one reason was CD's overbearing management style, and another reason was fandom blaming her for every aspect of the game they didn't like, most of which she obviously had no control over.

Being blamed for Lara's "daddy issues" (a plot line she didn't even want) right around the time her dad died couldn't have been a nice experience.
Spot on. That's how I feel about the whole situation as well.
Old 17-07-18, 05:52   #40
Swiz19
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomage View Post

I don't think this is a situation where one persons (or company in CD's case) idea is better than the other. They're both just terrible. I think we can mostly agree that Rise's story was pretty lacklustre and left a LOT to be desired. I personally have never cared about a very heavy story-centric Tomb Raider before, but if you're going to have a cutscene every 5 minutes with 'character development' (but really, a lack of) you better make the story good.

Rhiannon's version of Tomb Raider going down the PTSD route just sounds equally as awful as what we ended up getting so she gets no slack from me. As others have stated, she has contradicted herself several times, so I won't reiterate. However, what I will say is at the end of TR2013, we saw a woman who wanted her next adventure, wanted that thrill and excitement and to discover ground-breaking things. What we got in Rise, and a PTSD ridden character doesn't mesh well with those traits imo. I want Lara to be strong, dependant, and fierce without going down 'woman emotionally tortured' route. It's doing a disservice to Lara and the franchise deserves better than that.
Swiz19 is online now   Reply With Quote