Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 18-10-14, 21:02   #21
Mikky

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
TR1, TR2, TRL and the reboot are the best selling, right?
Fixed, and now... Still no, as TR3 sold more than TRL and AoD combined, and even TR4 sold more than L & AoD. Although TRL did have the record for fastest selling TR until the 2013 reboot. Go TRL!

Nice try, by the way, shoehorning AoD in there.

The OP is asking more about reviews and critical acclaim than sales figures, anyway. I believe TR1 is the top for that, and let's not forget Guardian of Light; I remember hearing at the time that it was the most critically acclaimed TR game since TR1. That is until the reboot came about.

I guess Metacritic is the place to find out about scores. Check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
AoD?
According to Wikipedia AoD sold 2.5 million so it's pretty low on the list. Only Chronicles and TRA have sold less as far as I know...
Yeah, he's suffering from "Delusional Stan Syndrome", which a lot of people here are also affected by.

Last edited by Mikky; 18-10-14 at 21:06.
Mikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-14, 21:03   #22
tomekkobialka

Guys, TR3, TR4, TR5 and the LAU trilogy were also the best selling TR games.

But seriously, there's only one best selling TR game. I'm not sure whether it's TR1 or TR2 though...
tomekkobialka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-14, 21:16   #23
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomekkobialka View Post
Guys, TR3, TR4, TR5 and the LAU trilogy were also the best selling TR games.

But seriously, there's only one best selling TR game. I'm not sure whether it's TR1 or TR2 though...
Are you calling TR5 and the entire LAU trilogy bestselling?
TRA (1.3 million) is the least selling TR game ever and TRU only sold 2.6 million. There was only one truly successful LAU trilogy game; TRL (4.5 million).
TR5 only sold 1.5 million which was a very, very, very weak for a TR game back then.

As far as which game is the bestselling; TR1 or TR2 it sure would be interesting to know. I have no idea though. Most sources I know have them both at about 8 million...
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-14, 21:28   #24
ajrich17901

Quote:
You are forgetting TR2 in both sales (TR2 has sold more than the reboot) and critical acclaim.
So sue me,
Quote:
TR1, TR2, TR3 and the reboot are the best selling as far as I know.

AoD?
According to Wikipedia AoD sold 2.5 million so it's pretty low on the list (Wikipedia has TRU at 2.6 million) Only Chronicles (1.5 million) and TRA (1.3 million) have sold less as far as I know (these are all Wikipedia numbers though so it's hard to say exactly)...
Your forgetting those sales haven't been updated since 2003, the game has easily gone on to sell at least 3.5 million combined with all the digital sales.

Last edited by ajrich17901; 18-10-14 at 21:29.
ajrich17901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-14, 21:32   #25
tomekkobialka

Quote:
Are you calling TR5 and the entire LAU trilogy bestselling?
TRA (1.3 million) is the least selling TR game ever and TRU only sold 2.6 million. There was only one truly successful LAU trilogy game; TRL (4.5 million).
TR5 only sold 1.5 million which was a very, very, very weak for a TR game back then.

As far as which game is the bestselling; TR1 or TR2 it sure would be interesting to know. I have no idea though. Most sources I know have them both at about 8 million...
No, I'm calling all the games in the TR franchise bestselling... it's a joke

Thanks for the facts though. Yes, TRA is the least selling game because clearly Crystal missed the memo that the TR series needs to move on and leave the past behind. xo

I swear I heard somewhere that TR2 ended up beating TR1 in terms of sales. Perhaps it was in the Gametap Retrospective documentary, they were saying something like if you stacked all the copies of TR2 sold you would reach some many times the height of the Eiffel Tower, basically emphasising how popular it was. And that this was partly the reason why TR ended up becoming such a long running franchise (because if the sequel ends up more popular than the original...you know you're on a gold mine!).

I could be mistaken though.

Last edited by tomekkobialka; 18-10-14 at 21:45.
Old 18-10-14, 21:37   #26
Patrick star

Quote:
I swear I heard somewhere that TR2 ended up beating TR1 in terms of sales.
I remember hearing something like that somewhere too , it makes sense tbh ..a highly anticipated sequel to an innovative revolutionary game , why wouldn't it top its original ?
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-14, 21:43   #27
sackboy123

But then again sequels are usually always rubbish
sackboy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-14, 21:44   #28
tomekkobialka

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackboy123 View Post
But then again sequels are usually always rubbish
Yeah, but TR is not a usual franchise!
Old 18-10-14, 21:45   #29
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrich17901 View Post
Your forgetting those sales haven't been updated since 2003, the game has easily gone on to sell at least 3.5 million combined with all the digital sales.
Yes I have no idea what year those Wikipedia numbers are from so AoD could very well have gone on to sell quite a bit more. But then again that goes for all the other TR games as well. Those 8 million that TR2 sold could very well be 10 million if you are to include sales all the way up until now.
Still I have my doubts that AoD has sold that many copies since 2003. Simply because it was critically slammed and also has not been as readily available since then as many of the other TR games which have been released in plenty of classic bundles etc (AoD is still not available on PSN for example). But I have no idea really so you could very well be correct in assuming that it's sold around 3.5 million by now.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-14, 21:48   #30
sackboy123

Quote:
Yeah, but TR is not a usual franchise!
I know it's not, it's the best Franchise well if you leave out the CD games
sackboy123 is online now   Reply With Quote