Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 10-11-17, 09:04   #11
Helegad

The "echo"/reverb effects in TR3 to AOD is done by the Playstation's SPU. This piece of hardware supports purty reverb effects without adding, or at least very little, strain on the CPU. To achieve this effect on PC, they would have had to do additional coding to emulate this effect on a software level, as there (afaik) was no standard for effects like this until EAX came along... which was going to be supported in TR3 onwards (iirc) but was scrapped at some stage.

I can see why they didn't do it, much like the footsteps left in mud/snow: too much extra work for very little return. (not that I like those effects being culled)

Oh yeah, here's an interesting tidbit: the SPU in the original Playstation 1000-series was designed and engineered so well it's actually considered audiophile-grade. I've heard it's recommend to leave the PS1 on for a week to give the chip sufficient time to warm up, but once that's done, it's considered to be one of the best and cheapest CD players ever produced.

Last edited by Helegad; 10-11-17 at 09:13.
Helegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 18:48   #12
Kirishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
The "echo"/reverb effects in TR3 to AOD is done by the Playstation's SPU. This piece of hardware supports purty reverb effects without adding, or at least very little, strain on the CPU. To achieve this effect on PC, they would have had to do additional coding to emulate this effect on a software level, as there (afaik) was no standard for effects like this until EAX came along... which was going to be supported in TR3 onwards (iirc) but was scrapped at some stage.

I can see why they didn't do it, much like the footsteps left in mud/snow: too much extra work for very little return. (not that I like those effects being culled)

Oh yeah, here's an interesting tidbit: the SPU in the original Playstation 1000-series was designed and engineered so well it's actually considered audiophile-grade. I've heard it's recommend to leave the PS1 on for a week to give the chip sufficient time to warm up, but once that's done, it's considered to be one of the best and cheapest CD players ever produced.
Too bad the Dreamcast versions of TLR and Chronicles didn't use its AICA chip. That thing had its own dsp for audio effects which sounded pretty good from some of the music that actually utilized it.

EDIT: I meant to say make more use of the AICA chip.

Last edited by Kirishima; 14-11-17 at 21:50.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 19:26   #13
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
That would make sense, the console was made by Sony after all...
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 20:44   #14
SrDanielPonces

Please, do not say "only PAL". I have PAL and I do not have these "barefoot" sounds. in fact, this has been discussed before - and apparently, only PAL versions from UK have this.
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 22:46   #15
Boobandie

My PAL version has the barefoot sounds, and it's the Australian release.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-17, 19:15   #16
Dralel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
Please, do not say "only PAL". I have PAL and I do not have these "barefoot" sounds. in fact, this has been discussed before - and apparently, only PAL versions from UK have this.
All PAL versions have it, there're videos on YT with the German version for example that have the correct footstep sounds, so really it adds more mystery as to why PAL versions from different countries have it but not the American/Japanese.
Dralel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 20:34   #17
SrDanielPonces

I don't have these barefeet sounds in my PAL version. So It's wrong to say all of the PAL versions have it.
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 23:33   #18
Boobandie

Which PAL version do you have? It'd be interesting to compile a list of which versions have it.

Mine was originally purchased in Australia, barefoot sounds are present.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 23:44   #19
Helegad

Quote:
I don't have these barefeet sounds in my PAL version. So It's wrong to say all of the PAL versions have it.
Burden of proof is on you, unfortunately. I've always known most PAL versions to either be identical down to the bit or only very slightly changed for regional reasons (language bit is set to the native country, etc.)
Helegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 20:37   #20
Dralel

Quote:
What country version is your PAL? Anyway, it doesn't really matter, the sounds appear in multiple versions of the game and none in other games and that's an undeniable fact. As to why this is the case I'd like to know since it seems no other sound effects were changed like this.
Dralel is offline   Reply With Quote