Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 05-07-17, 18:58   #1
Opaque79

Question What are your thoughts on the central shaft in the Great Pyramid?

In my opinion, the central shaft adds a good amount of challenge to the game but that's because I have played the game so many times. But I also think that the difficulty is a bit too much, especially for first time players. Anyone want to share their thoughts?
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 20:53   #2
ThatSassyKid

The platforming is ez, the fireballs can **** right off.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 21:19   #3
Opaque79

OK. Fireballs are a nightmare if you get hit.
Old 06-07-17, 01:02   #4
Boobandie

I played on PC, PS2, and Xbox360... it was fine. Seriously, it was fine. Even with pistols only it was fine.

The mutants only trigger when you activate the next section so just shoot them while you're on the big platform and reset the timer.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 03:18   #5
JoelCaesar

It IS the end of the game it is supposed to be harder. You should also have max Uzi ammo by then anyway.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 07:22   #6
JohnCroft25
Inactive

If you're a newcomer to this game, it will be a nightmare. But if you have played the game enough times and you have gained experience, it won't be that hard....it will still be challenging, but you can do it without dying once. Be sure to traverse through the ledges as fast as you can though, because a single delay can cause the poles and metal rings to retract, and you'll fall to the lava.
JohnCroft25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 07:48   #7
Opaque79

I have beat that section multiple times without dying but the first few times were crazy hard.

Hardest part in my opinion is the second retracting ledge - jump to slope, then to the pole, to another pole and turn while on the second pole, jump to ledge and traverse to the left, jump to third pole, grapple first ring, jump to another slope (or jump straight towards second ring), grapple second ring, jump to ledge.

You can jump straight for the first ring, but then you need to adjust grapple.
Old 06-07-17, 13:53   #8
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCroft25 View Post
If you're a newcomer to this game, it will be a nightmare. But if you have played the game enough times and you have gained experience, it won't be that hard....it will still be challenging, but you can do it without dying once. Be sure to traverse through the ledges as fast as you can though, because a single delay can cause the poles and metal rings to retract, and you'll fall to the lava.
That pretty much says it all...

While I appreciate a challenge for seasoned gamers, I suppose it is something of a design flaw to have such a difficult section in a game, followed by much easier gameplay further on. I mean when I first played this game, ten years ago, I was stuck for weeks at the pyramid shaft but once I overcame it I completed the rest of the game in half an hour or so...
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 14:08   #9
Patrick star

I think the original Atlantis is much better with its interconnected design and chilling visuals (alive-flesh walls FTW ) , Anni's version is inferior , but I still liked the traversal to the top of the pyramid , one of the rare occasions where the platforming in LAU had a touch of challenge (unpopular opinion , I know ) .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 14:20   #10
Grimaldi

It's dreadful. I would have much preferred they kept the feeling of the original, only using the shaft to platform into side rooms. The flying mutants are probably the worst enemy Crystal have designed.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote