www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 18-10-17, 03:24   #11
Lara Coft Baby
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim View Post
Oh these videos are good, are you up for recommendations? I will sign in on my Youtube channel and subscribe to you also.
than you! I would love recommendations, I am looking for some new levels to play
Old 18-10-17, 13:31   #12
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Oh wow, that's my level! I'm glad you liked it so far. Personally I am far more satisfied with the first level rather than the second one, although I heard very mixed opinions about them, so I am very interested in hearing what's your view about it.

About the fire, it's just a waterfall object that has static lighting, with corner vertexes set to lowest lighting possible. This makes for a nice fade-in effect that you can see. The very first version of the game used particles, which were more random, but at the same time more pixelated.

Subscribed and I'm waiting for the next part.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-17, 13:36   #13
FantaseaII
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Oh wow, that's my level! I'm glad you liked it so far. Personally I am far more satisfied with the first level rather than the second one, although I heard very mixed opinions about them, so I am very interested in hearing what's your view about it.

About the fire, it's just a waterfall object that has static lighting, with corner vertexes set to lowest lighting possible. This makes for a nice fade-in effect that you can see. The very first version of the game used particles, which were more random, but at the same time more pixelated.

I personally love the 2nd one, he fits way much more the "AOD" atmosphere, that castle... the skeletons the textures etc. It was a very good level to play i really enjoyed it ! the architecture was fine too
Old 18-10-17, 18:29   #14
Lara Coft Baby
Relic Hunter

Quote:

Very nice, so far in enjoyed the second level. I got stuck kind of easy and was hard to find my way out. And that's what I love. I love those challenging tombs that make you think. Those enemies in the second level are placed very well too. Scared the out of me every time. Loved it.

I just finished recording part of the second level. I am uploading the video now. I had to take a break because I got slightly stuck. I'm going to finish it tonight. I am trying not to read the walkthrough for it because I want to do it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaseaII View Post
I personally love the 2nd one, he fits way much more the "AOD" atmosphere, that castle... the skeletons the textures etc. It was a very good level to play i really enjoyed it ! the architecture was fine too
I agree with that, I loved angel of darkness, and that's why I chose this game to do a lets play for. I love how the second level feels more like aod. I love the level of detail put into the castle and every thing. Its much better then what I could create.
Old 18-10-17, 19:14   #15
Lara Coft Baby
Relic Hunter

Ok sorry for the double post but I have finished uploading the next part.

Enjoy!

Old 18-10-17, 20:42   #16
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Coft Baby View Post
Very nice, so far in enjoyed the second level. I got stuck kind of easy and was hard to find my way out. And that's what I love. I love those challenging tombs that make you think. Those enemies in the second level are placed very well too. Scared the out of me every time. Loved it.
Thank you. I really appreciate it. Personally I felt like the second level had way too many uninspired puzzles. It mostly copied ideas from TR4. Although the newest version that you have is way better in that aspect. The vanilla version was really bad, especially with the amount of pushables. The first level was entirely designed on puzzle ideas so it felt more consistent in my mind.

Quote:
I just finished recording part of the second level. I am uploading the video now. I had to take a break because I got slightly stuck. I'm going to finish it tonight. I am trying not to read the walkthrough for it because I want to do it myself.
Ahh, you were so near the very end! The third part will be really short.

Quote:
I agree with that, I loved angel of darkness, and that's why I chose this game to do a lets play for. I love how the second level feels more like aod. I love the level of detail put into the castle and every thing. Its much better then what I could create.
Thank you again. But really, I have just ripped textures from different games (AoD, Harry Potter, the Witcher, Gothic 2) and set up the lighting to remind HP/Gothic 2. There's nothing really original about it. I'm sure you'd be able to create something similar.

I must say I had a bit of a smile when I saw you running around, trying different places and missing certain spots/items that I thought were visibly placed. Now that I see how people play it I can understand all these designers who were shocked while learning how hard their levels were.

Last edited by Caesum; 18-10-17 at 21:05.
Old 18-10-17, 23:33   #17
Lara Coft Baby
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Ahh, you were so near the very end! The third part will be really short.
Nah I'm just gonna move on into the third level in that case. I had a feeling I was close to the end of the level but I was getting tired.

Quote:
I must say I had a bit of a smile when I saw you running around, trying different places and missing certain spots/items that I thought were visibly placed. Now that I see how people play it I can understand all these designers who were shocked while learning how hard their levels were.
Yeah, I found it funny once I found what I was looking for how easy it actually was to get to,

I should be recording part 3 night and getting uploaded by tomorrow.
Old 19-10-17, 07:18   #18
Caesum
Tomb Raider

The third level you say... Whoopsie. I wouldn't be so sure about that.
Old 19-10-17, 08:41   #19
Lara Coft Baby
Relic Hunter

Quote:
The third level you say... Whoopsie. I wouldn't be so sure about that.
Yeah I figured that out, hehe I am not sure why I thought there was three levels. Well the video wasn't as short as you thought it would be. It ended up being almost an hour cause of the final boss fight.

Old 19-10-17, 14:40   #20
Caesum
Tomb Raider

I'm really glad you liked the entire level. That second part of the gemstone... You actually found a shortcut to that one. There was yet another rising stone that would allow you to get on top of a pillar, from which you would jump to that pillar with the stone.

Personally I was never happy with the way I placed the gemstones, but I really wanted to utilise the church space and make gameplay a bit more vertical. I am a huge fan of logic/sense in the games, so I always try to make my levels moderately sensible. This results in me making one level for about a year or more, since I often get stuck when I want to make something sensible and enjoyable at the same time. I should finally realise that the best games don't follow the real world rules, but create their own.

About the boss fight, yeah it's actually really buggy. Not my fault this time! :P Apparently even in the original game it would take ages to finish him + he would easily get stuck in doors and other places.

I'm also glad that you liked the story, although there wasn't much of it. It's always sad when you see so many custom levels that are amazing, but they are all about "find the artifact". Of course it's because few can afford cutscenes, but still. That's why I thought I'd use the diary feature with pickable documents. It kinda makes the world more alive, enrichens lore while the main quest may still be straight and simple.

Anyway, thanks to you and your lovely videos I feel like I can build again. I'm working on two more projects. One less serious, probably a one-level adventure, the other more complex. Hopefully one of them gets finished eventually!