www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 13-11-17, 19:50   #31
Ashnod
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakzunamuhn View Post
But there are some moments when knowing how to follow was a real difficulty, or some of the platforming when you have to be quick and know when to jump and where.

One of my favorites is the Midas Hand, I had three bars and I didn't know what to do with them, so I decided to stop playing and investigate who was Midas... That satisfaction it's much more present when you spent so much time searching what to do instead of the passenger moments that TR2013 could offer.
I have no context to relate to this.

I knew who Midas was long before I ever played Tomb Raider and thus the intent behind the puzzle was immediately known to me as soon as I found the first lead bar.

Similarly, I had played Senate long before I had ever played The Last Revelation, so the game there was both familiar and unsurprising.

I don't know how much time you spent searching what to do, but I didn't have this roadblock. Whatever satisfaction you had was completely absent in my experience.

Last edited by Ashnod; 13-11-17 at 19:53.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-17, 21:35   #32
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

I have to agree with Ashnod . TR1 isn't exactly a game I'd call "challenging" or difficult . In fact , it's a pretty easy game , not Legend-easy , but still . There were little to no puzzles , platforming and traps weren't as vicious , extremely tricky and unforgiving like they are in TR3 and TR4 , tons of medi-packs and ammunition , and while the levels were mostly convoluted and interconnected , they're not really mind-boggling (bar the Cistern , Palace Midas and Atlantis) , I recall beating the whole game in around 10-12 hours on first playthrough

In fact , looking back , the only games in the franchise that are truly difficult games are TR3 and TR4 . I guess AOD is fairly difficult too , but for entirely different reasons that have nothing to do with puzzles or level-design .

Last edited by Patrick star; 13-11-17 at 21:37.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 05:53   #33
trfan16
Archaeologist

TRI is my second favorite game in the entire series behind TRII. I always try to replay it once a year. I agree that this is probably the most simple game in the series. But I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing considering it's the first game in the series. It's one of the very few games in the series where the challenge gets progressively harder. By the time you get to Atlantis, your true skills are put to test. As much as I like the variety in the later games, I still enjoy the simplicity of the game. No excessive stunts, weapons, flares, etc. Also, the levels feel very immersive here also. The others have already hit the nail on the head about this in this topic.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote