Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 06-12-06, 17:27   #1
dinahcat

Default Secrets/Rewards - how would you like to find them?

I am sorry if this thread has been opened before...the traffic on this site is amazing!

The one thing about Legend that I wasn't so keen on was the delivery system of the rewards. First there were so many! and then finding them wasn't really a challenge (ok...a few golds were tough).

I remember in the early TR games, the rewards were really secrets that you had to hunt and find. It took time and imagination (and a trained eye) to find these. Not only that, but there were HARD to get, in most cases! The first one in St. Francis' Folly comes to mind...line up toes with arrows on floor, backflip onto incline, jump immediately to grab hanging ledge, etc.)

I MISS THAT!!! I'd rather work my butt off to get a reward rather than pick one up in a corner somewhere!

And as for the reward part, I'll take the old school rewards...a new weapon or a massive amount of ammo, thank you! I really like the urban commando gear in legend, but I'd trade that outfit for a fistful of magnum ammo anyday!
dinahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 17:33   #2
domina

Some of the gold rewards in Legend were pretty tricky to get; it took me forever to figure out how to get the reward in Bolivia. You had to activate the pressure pads in a certain way and pattern... That was challenging. And in Peru and Kazakhstan required a good bit of exploring. I don't really remember the other ones that well.

But yeah, I'd like to see some more of that. It goes along with wanting to explore more and really recreating that Tomb Raider atmosphere.
domina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 17:35   #3
walk_man

I would rather they didn't include these and use the space for more levels!
but i thought that legend was too obvious and in tr2 they were too secret. I forgot about them in evry level.
walk_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 17:37   #4
TRBeth

I want my secrets and rewards to pretty much be rendered in the old fashion way; meaning you have to find the rewards, not just get it as you walk on by in some corridor.

I think the best secret in Legend was finding the 4th ball in Ghana. Now that approached seek and find of days gone by.

Granted sometimes the old games made a simple pickup way too complicated without a walk-through, and even then you had to figure out how to perform a difficult feat just for a key, or something. However, Legend went in the other direction and you had to be blind, deaf and dumb not to find things.

Lets see a little energy put into locating things, or figuring out ways to get things.
TRBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 17:40   #5
fondantcookie

I completely agree...

Most of Legends rewards were waaay to easy to find and required zero exploration off the beaten 'linear' path...

(With the exception of say 2 gold rewards)...

Id much rather have the older system back...preferably TR2s... Three secrets of increasing difficulty...with a DECENT Reward for collecting all three... NOte, this does NOT mean outfits !!!!

I want to explore, find a hidden area, be faced with challenging jumps and deadly traps...all to reach a little shining statue hidden amongst the landscape....

Who can forget the Jade secret in The DECK, or the Gold in the GREAT WALL, or the JADE in the opera house? THESE secrets really were 'secret'...and they were damn challenging to get...

PLEASE sort this out CD... Secrets shouldn't be so easy and visible that we get 90% of them first play-through... We must LOOK for them, use our eyes and workout how to find them...

fondantcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 17:48   #6
spikesavenger

The secrets should be like they were in the original: Hard to find, hard to get, and gave you a well deserved gift (i.e.: ammo, medi-packs, weapons, etc.)

Or even like in TR2 where you had to collect the 3 TINY dragon idols.

Anything other than Legends system!
spikesavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 17:52   #7
da tomb raider!

I don't want any rewards like that in Legend in Anniversary. Huge pieces of metal sitting around is sad. But I'd like to see secrets like they were in Tomb Raider.
da tomb raider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 17:52   #8
StUdEnT rAiDeR

i liked the TR1 system where you got items (medipacks, ammo,even guns ect) much better than TR2 version AND legend
StUdEnT rAiDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 17:53   #9
RAID

Legend's system was like Tr2's. WTF was wrong with it? Legend you collected statues and TR2 dragons. in TR2 collecting 3 dragons in a level gave you a new weapon, in Legend gave you an extra.

I prefer TR1/TR3 style of secrets though. I prefer to find hidden locations than hidden artifacts. Adds exploration IMO.
RAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-06, 17:59   #10
Phlip
Inactive

I liked the TR1 & 3 way of finding secrets, if you pick up ammo then you should have loads, not some cr@ppy outfit!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote