Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 22-05-18, 17:50   #1
ActuallyArlow

Default Facts about Mayan Religion and Theories's about Lara's situation in SOTTR

Ritualized sacrifice was usually performed in public by religious or political leaders by piercing a soft body part. Most commonly the tongue, ear or foreskin, and collecting the blood to smear directly on the idol or collecting it on paper, which was then burned in what is today Nicaragua.

The Blood was smeared on maize, distributed to the people and baked into sacred bread.

Blood was viewed as a potent source of nourishment for the Maya Deities. And the sacrifice of a living creature was a powerful blood offering. By extension, the sacrifice of a human life was the ultimate offering of blood to the Gods. And the most important Maya rituals culminated in human sacrifice.

The Mayan Calendar Consists of three separate corresponding calendars:

-The Long Count
-The Tzolkin (Divine Calendar)
-The Haab (Civil Calendar)

Each of them is Cyclical, meaning that a certain number of days must occur before a new cycle can begin.

The environment also held other treasures for the Maya, inducing Jade, Quetzal feathers (used to decorate the elaborate costumes of Maya nobility) and marine shells, which were used as trumpets in ceremonies and warfare.

So what are your thoughts on how this will connect to the story? And from what you saw from the CGI trailer, what do you think Lara has gotten herself into from presumably interrupting the Mayan ritual in front of thousands of people?

Last edited by tlr online; 22-05-18 at 18:45. Reason: Fixed font issues.
ActuallyArlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-18, 18:14   #2
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuallyArlow View Post
lots of text with HUGE letters

Answering your question, I think the CGI does not reflect what happens in-game. She starts the apocalypse the moment she grabs the dagger in the cave.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-18, 18:19   #3
ActuallyArlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Answering your question, I think the CGI does not reflect what happens in-game. She starts the apocalypse the moment she grabs the dagger in the cave.
Yeah I heard the same. But I also heard different as well. Also sorry about the size, it was meant to look better but I can't edit to be smaller. It won't let me.
Old 22-05-18, 18:31   #4
Vaskito

Quote:
Yeah I heard the same. But I also heard different as well. Also sorry about the size, it was meant to look better but I can't edit to be smaller. It won't let me.
Maybe the way to stop it all is to commit a blood sacrifice (like Lara stabbing herself with it, or killing someone close to her). Camilla said the end of this game touched her really deeply, so it must be something really dark
Old 22-05-18, 18:36   #5
ActuallyArlow

Quote:
Maybe the way to stop it all is to commit a blood sacrifice (like Lara stabbing herself with it, or killing someone close to her). Camilla said the end of this game touched her really deeply, so it must be something really dark
Oh so kind of like, pass on the curse. There is a recent horror movie that just came out called "Truth or Dare" with a similar concept. Where the person hallucinates somebody near them asking the question "truth or dare" to them and if they don't answer, they die somehow. And they have to pass on the question. That is, if the CGI trailer is canon. But it might not be as you said, just there for promotional reasons.
Old 22-05-18, 18:40   #6
Vaskito

Quote:
Oh so kind of like, pass on the curse. There is a recent horror movie that just came out called "Truth or Dare" with a similar concept. Where the person hallucinates somebody near them asking the question "truth or dare" to them and if they don't answer, they die somehow. And they have to pass on the question. That is, if the CGI trailer is canon. But it might not be as you said, just there for promotional reasons.
Yep. CGIs usually only serve as promotional material to give a quick insight. You just need to read between the lines. The CGI shows the multiple stuff you'll be able to do in-game. Wall running. Mud-covered. Hide in vines. Cause fear. Underwater near-death situations, and Lara starting the apocalypse with a mistake
Old 22-05-18, 18:45   #7
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Quote:
Also sorry about the size, it was meant to look better but I can't edit to be smaller. It won't let me.
I fixed your font issue.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-18, 18:45   #8
kathrynnn

Quote:
what do you think Lara has gotten herself into from presumably interrupting the Mayan ritual in front of thousands of people?
a lot of trouble
kathrynnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-18, 18:47   #9
ActuallyArlow

Quote:
Yep. CGIs usually only serve as promotional material to give a quick insight. You just need to read between the lines. The CGI shows the multiple stuff you'll be able to do in-game. Wall running. Mud-covered. Hide in vines. Cause fear. Underwater near-death situations, and Lara starting the apocalypse with a mistake
I kinda low-key figured, I just thought it would be cool to share some facts about the culture and maybe the game might have a few things in game. I mean not about the scenario of the ritual that happened in the trailer but the culture, with the Mayan Calendars and whatnot. But yeah I get you
Old 22-05-18, 18:56   #10
Grimaldi

Quote:
And from what you saw from the CGI trailer, what do you think Lara has gotten herself into from presumably interrupting the Mayan ritual in front of thousands of people?
I wonder if the Maya in the trailer are actually reacting to the apocalyptic events Lara triggered and are trying to prevent it through ritual sacrifice. Whatever they’re doing it for though I can’t see them being pleased.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote