www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 21-03-18, 19:20   #21
Costel
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomekkobialka View Post
This is an important point, and I'd just like to add my thoughts on what role "tombs" really play in the TR games, and how they evolved throughout the series:

In the first Tomb Raider game, the story was straightforward: retrieve three pieces of an artefact from three hidden locations over the world. In Peru, you raid the Tomb of Qualopec. In Greece, you raid the Tomb of Tihocan. In Egypt, you raid the Sanctuary of the Scion...see, it is already unclear from the name whether it's only tombs which Lara raids, or secret locations in general. Nevertheless, the structure of the game is clear: you arrive at multiple locations and progressively work your way towards a "tomb" with some treasure.

By Tomb Raider 2, however, it is already abundantly clear that the game is not about raiding "tombs" per se, but about the act of raiding in general. E.g. A Venetian opera house is clearly not a tomb.

This is even further exemplified in Tomb Raider 3, where none of the four artefact sections have a tomb as the end goal. India? Some caves. Nevada? A UFO. South Pacific? A temple. London? Sophia's office. Yet still, each section of the game is based on the idea that you arrive at some starting point, and then it's up to you, the gamer, to figure out the way forward to reach the end point...whatever it may be, a UFO, a skyscraper, or whatever.

It's all about the journey.

In Tomb Raider 4, we see a return to raiding actual tombs. But this can be treated incidentally. The game happens to be set in Egypt, which is known for its tombs. And when we come to Tomb Raider 5, we return to "raiding" high-security buildings, military outposts, and so on.

I hope it's clear by now how the "tombs" in the games since TR2013 bear little resemblance to what we got in TR before. They're just side rooms with puzzles. It's more or less a "trick" the developers used just so that if some journalist asks "This is Tomb Raider, so where are the tombs?!?!" (which is already missing the point), Karl or Noah could point to the side rooms and say: "Look, there they are!" Besides that, they're just things to do on the side. Which is fine, of course - every adventure game has something like that. But let's not kid ourselves - this doesn't actually create some continuity of the reboot with the previous games, just because they're called "tombs"!
TR2013 has mandatory tombs not just side tombs. Different than old tomb raider era tombs but still tombs. Same with Rise.
Old 21-03-18, 20:31   #22
trfan16
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomekkobialka View Post
This is an important point, and I'd just like to add my thoughts on what role "tombs" really play in the TR games, and how they evolved throughout the series:

In the first Tomb Raider game, the story was straightforward: retrieve three pieces of an artefact from three hidden locations over the world. In Peru, you raid the Tomb of Qualopec. In Greece, you raid the Tomb of Tihocan. In Egypt, you raid the Sanctuary of the Scion...see, it is already unclear from the name whether it's only tombs which Lara raids, or secret locations in general. Nevertheless, the structure of the game is clear: you arrive at multiple locations and progressively work your way towards a "tomb" with some treasure.

By Tomb Raider 2, however, it is already abundantly clear that the game is not about raiding "tombs" per se, but about the act of raiding in general. E.g. A Venetian opera house is clearly not a tomb.

This is even further exemplified in Tomb Raider 3, where none of the four artefact sections have a tomb as the end goal. India? Some caves. Nevada? A UFO. South Pacific? A temple. London? Sophia's office. Yet still, each section of the game is based on the idea that you arrive at some starting point, and then it's up to you, the gamer, to figure out the way forward to reach the end point...whatever it may be, a UFO, a skyscraper, or whatever.

It's all about the journey.

In Tomb Raider 4, we see a return to raiding actual tombs. But this can be treated incidentally. The game happens to be set in Egypt, which is known for its tombs. And when we come to Tomb Raider 5, we return to "raiding" high-security buildings, military outposts, and so on.

I hope it's clear by now how the "tombs" in the games since TR2013 bear little resemblance to what we got in TR before. They're just side rooms with puzzles. It's more or less a "trick" the developers used just so that if some journalist asks "This is Tomb Raider, so where are the tombs?!?!" (which is already missing the point), Karl or Noah could point to the side rooms and say: "Look, there they are!" Besides that, they're just things to do on the side. Which is fine, of course - every adventure game has something like that. But let's not kid ourselves - this doesn't actually create some continuity of the reboot with the previous games, just because they're called "tombs"!
Good post, and I agree with you about how the Classic games had different locations that contained classic elements. I consider levels like Opera House, Wreck of the Maria Doria, and Aldwych to be similar to tomb levels even if they're not literal tombs. Take the Maria Doria levels for example. They share similar elements to other tomb levels in the series - lever and key item puzzles, traps and environmental hazards (rolling barrels = boulders, glass shards = spikes, fire burners...), location specific enemies (sharks, frogmen, other underwater foes), unique challenges (focus on underwater and land exploration), and the Maria Doria itself can be considered a tomb too. I like how the Tomb Raider series covers locations from different time periods.

As for tombs in the Reboot series, I like the idea of having optional tombs. There's nothing wrong with having content on the side. My only complaint would be to make the optional tombs so obvious with the jingle and signs near each room. I don't mind there being a skill that allows players to find the tombs later on if they're stuck, but part of the fun is trying to find the location of the tombs. Similar to the secret system from the Classic games.

Of course, there should be more tombs in the main campaign too. Rise was a step in the right direction, but they should contain more Classic elements like traps and puzzle solving.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-18, 03:35   #23
veigafd
Explorer

Define a Tomb these days ... to CD a tomb is a place with human skulls scattered in the floor.
Old 28-03-18, 11:37   #24
Vaskito
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by veigafd View Post
Define a Tomb these days ... to CD a tomb is a place with human skulls scattered in the floor.
What is a tomb to you?
Vaskito is online now   Reply With Quote