Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 16-08-18, 14:02   #1
Zreen001

Default Ranking the Harry Potter series (books AND films)

Separately or in one large list, rank from best to worst the Harry Potter books and films.
I'm including the Fantastic Beasts film and Cursed Child play.
For some reason I remember a thread like this but I couldn't find it in search.

Books:
  1. Goblet of Fire
  2. Half-Blood Prince
  3. Deathly Hallows
  4. Prisoner of Azkaban
  5. Philsopher's Stone
  6. Order of the Phoenix
  7. Chamber of Secrets
  8. Cursed Child

Films:
  1. Prisoner of Azkaban
  2. Deathly Hallows, Part 1
  3. Order of the Phoenix
  4. Half-Blood Prince
  5. Philsopher's Stone
  6. Deathly Hallows, Part 2
  7. Goblet of Fire
  8. Fantastic Beasts (and Where to Find Them)
  9. Chamber of Secrets
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-18, 14:54   #2
Zelda master

I actually wouldn't be able to rank them fairly, haven't read or watch them since the last film was in theatre. I really should though. I did purchase the Cursed Child, but still haven't bothered because the hate it seems to get
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-18, 17:33   #3
Cochrane
Golden

I certainly don't remember any of them well enough to do a full ranking, but I would say:

- The first four books are better than the final three.
- Worst movie is Deadly Hallows Part 1. It's not really a surprise; the book is essentially one half boring camping trip and one half stuff happening, and they decided to split the movies like that as well. But it's weird.
- Best movie is Fantastic Beasts. It still doesn't come close to any of the books. But being written as a movie means that it has a story that is movie-sized, as opposed to a book-sized story that was squished down, and it works so much better as a result.
- They really should not have done movies, but instead an expensive HBO show. It would have fit the books so much better.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-18, 18:24   #4
Ellioft

Books for me is gonna be diffucult since I've read only till the Order of the Phenix wich I didn't finished. So...

For the books I have read

Prisonner of Azkaban
Goblet of Fire
Chamber of Secrets
Philosopher Stone
Order of Phenix

Movies :

Prisoner of Azkaban : I just love the new ambiance wich feel perfectly with the book and Lupin actor is so charming I love David Tewlis. The new castle feel more real. The characters have really grown up. Also the new director Alphonso Cuaron have made some great decision to keep this movie really different.

Deathly Hallows, Part 1 : I know this one gonna get me in trouble but I love how slow is this part compared to the second (it's like Kill Bill vol 2). Focusing more on the characters thought about the whole situation and thinking what they are gonna do.

Deathly Hallows, Part 2 : The second part is bombastic and emotional as well, we all remember the flashback part nared by the beautiful voice of Alan Rickman <3 There is also a lot of action on it for the end of a saga it was really enough.

Chamber Of Secrets : I just love the creepiness on the one, some moments make my heart stop when I was a kid. The music, the spider nest (brrrrr) the voice of the Giant Basilic it's all on the ambiance.

Order of The Phenix : This one is a hard one. I hate with a passion Dolores Umbrige but my god the actress was perfect. It has a ton of moment I like whefor exemple when Minerva take the defense of Professor Treylawnay or the creation of Dumbledoor Army's. It's like a moment of rebellion against the autority and I love that. I also like Luna Lovegood character.

Philosopher Stone : It's the first movie on the franchise and a beautiful first memory as a kid watching his first not animated movie at the cinema but the actors are kinda off on this one, but I love the sweet and innoncent feel of this movie wich is something I have find also in the movie Young Sherlock Holmes (from 1984) the first time I have watched it I have see the influence it has in Chris Colombus work for Harry Potter because he worked on the film as a screenwriter.

Half Blood Prince : It has grown on me lately but I still have a problem with this one. Everything happen really fast it has for me not enough breath on it. I didn't like Lavander character that much (don't touch Ron) Yeah I was in a crush with Ruppert Grint

Goblet of Fire : As much as I love the music on this one, this first and last entry by Mike Newell doesn't raise the bar for me. It has it's moments but I feel a little rush on a lot of things especially on the climax.

Fantastic Beasts (and Where to Find Them) : Almost a Dr Who ripoff and by far the least entertaining movie of the all franchise. I'm sorry but the trio on this one is boring the effects are greats but the story feel like a snoozefest for a first spinoff.

Last edited by Ellioft; 16-08-18 at 18:26.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-18, 08:04   #5
Cochrane
Golden

Forgot to mention: “Robert Galbraith” is better than “A Casual Vacancy”.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-18, 17:31   #6
jajay119

Whilst I'm unsure how to rank the books and movies in depth I do know my least favourite movie without a doubt was the Prizoner of Askaban so I'm suprised to see it at the tip of others' lists.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-18, 01:08   #7
Ahmier
Unverified

I haven’t read the books yet but plan on reading them due to the movies being fantastic.

1. Prisoner of Azkaban

2. Goblet of Fire

3. Chamber of Secrets

4. Sorcerer’s Stone

5. Order of The Phoenix

6. Deathly Hallows Part 1(Poor Dobby)

7. Deathly Hallows Part 2

8. Half-Blood Prince
Ahmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-18, 01:58   #8
biscuits

I still haven't finished the books, so I'm only ranking the movies:

Prisoner Of Azkaban
Sorceror's Stone
Chamber Of Secrets
Order Of The Pheonix
Goblet Of Fire
Deathly Hallows (Part 2)
Deathly Hallows (Part 1)

Half Blood Prince
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-18, 00:58   #9
HD Simplicityy

Weird story with my relationship with Harry Potter.

I used to really dislike the books/films, even if I had almost no idea what they were. "Hated" them to an extent. But...it was after Deathly Hallows Part II came out that I wanted to give the films a shot. Given that my family is Christian, as well as some of my extended family, I'm almost surprised my dad and the older of my younger sisters had already watched and read them. Then again ... my dad read JRR Tolkien/CS Lewis, and most of us watched both LotRs and Narnia.

So, I started watching the films around that time, of DHPIIs release I want to say. Or before...ehh. But the only HP film I ever saw in theater was Part II...with my dad. I really, really liked it. Once I watched all the films over and over for a good few months, I read the books. Over a seven month period, ironically.

I don't have too much of a cemented rank for the books, but I do remember thoroughly enjoying Deathly Hallows. I also remember not liking Prisoner of Azkaban at first, but did later. I was shocked when Hermione kissed Harry on his cheek at the end of Goblet of Fire. Liked that addition.

As far as the films, I have considered DHPart II one of the top five best films I've ever seen - #5. I thought the second half was so emotionally powerful, even with the book changes. Not perfect though. The scene when Harry talks to his families' ghosts was beautifully acted, especially when he slips his hands through Lily's hand. That legitimately made me want to cry. Meanwhile, it's hard to rank these too.

Last edited by HD Simplicityy; 24-08-18 at 01:00.
HD Simplicityy is offline   Reply With Quote