Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 19-08-18, 14:25   #2081
disapearing-boy

^^ Quick question - does the animation work for only one slope tilt or is it possible for the engine to adjust/rotate Lara for different slope tilts allowing for more organic rock geometry in our levels (for example like how Lara uses the same sliding anim for all slopes regardless of how steep they are) - i think it would be amazing if that was possible.

Last edited by disapearing-boy; 19-08-18 at 14:26.
disapearing-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-18, 15:03   #2082
Krystian

^ For now only 4-click sloping is handled. I thought of generalizing it to various slope tilts but it's not that simple. One solution would be to make different versions of these animations for the various tilts but that would be outright ridiculous.

Reusing the same animations and tweaking them in real time on the other hand is quite perplexing. The upwards and downwards climbing animations use set positions to change Lara's position by 1 click up (down) and 1 click backwards (forwards). A different system for changing Lara's position would have to be used that would change Lara's position accordingly to the tilt, so she wouldn't start going into the ceiling or hovering below it with continued climbing. Also, these position changes must be very precise, otherwise it could mess up the ladder functionality in which Lara must be perfectly placed within a single unit relative to the ladder. So using some horizontal/vertical speed in these animations as opposed to concrete increments in the form of set-positions seems like a no-go...
Also without rotating Lara slightly in adjustment to the tilt, it wouldn't look quite as good/convincing. I'm not sure if it's possible to make such rotation adjustments to animations in real time like that.

Even in the original game the slope was always angled approximately at 45 degrees which corresponds a 4 click slope. For now I'm just focusing on this single 4 click tilt, because it's far easier to handle and to work out the required position changes. Only if I got everything ironed out with that, I may look into making it work for other tilts.

Last edited by Krystian; 19-08-18 at 15:04.
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-18, 16:07   #2083
disapearing-boy

^^ Fair enough - I was just wondering. It doesn't seem like there's a workable solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian View Post
One solution would be to make different versions of these animations for the various tilts but that would be outright ridiculous.
I agree - that would be too extreme.
disapearing-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 23:38   #2084
SrDanielPonces

I see this thread hasn't been alive for a while

I've made a new running animation! I've made this in October 2018, however it wasn't looking good and I didn't know what was wrong. These days though I decided to look at it again and managed to have it at least looking decent!

What do you think? Any improvements? Thanks!
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-19, 09:29   #2085
Craig Michaels

That's looking great SrDanielPonces, it looks much more like a real person running.
Craig Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-19, 11:23   #2086
A_De

The animation looks like sport running on the morning, but very natural, I like it
Lara seems to be in no hurry while running. This animation will perfectly fit the Christmas or other peaceful and relaxing type of levels
A_De is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-19, 18:21   #2087
SrDanielPonces

Thank you guys! This means a lot! I want to make every kind of animation so I can finally get rid of the old, unrealistic classic set of animations
Old 04-03-19, 17:52   #2088
Kapu

Default @SrDanielPonces

Running animations are always tricky, but this one is looking really good.

As A_De said, it has a casual feel to it. Like a light jog. I also feel like it would be best suited for home levels and other relaxed/non threatening environments.

I almost feel like this animation would be better suited for a male character. There's a bit of "swagger" (for lack of a better term) in the way the torso sways and the way the arms are held.

One thing I would really encourage you to change is the collision box. Since the animation has more bounce to it, so does the camera. I always notice this right away with custom running animations and find it really distracting, and over time, nauseating. But it's super easy to change - you just manually edit the collision box for each frame. As long as the top of the box remains consistent, you alleviate the bouncing. Of course, the collision is technically wrong, but it's not going to cause any issues.

Also, I think the acceleration might be a little too high. Lara has that effect of "gliding" across the floor. I've never experimented with changing the running acceleration, but I suppose it would mess up other variables, like the timing for jumps and such. So I'm not sure how one would go about adjusting that...less frames, perhaps?

Anyway, those are just some thoughts for you. I hope I don't sound too critical, it's better than anything I could create and it does look really good.
Kapu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 19:04   #2089
SrDanielPonces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
Running animations are always tricky, but this one is looking really good.

As A_De said, it has a casual feel to it. Like a light jog. I also feel like it would be best suited for home levels and other relaxed/non threatening environments.

I almost feel like this animation would be better suited for a male character. There's a bit of "swagger" (for lack of a better term) in the way the torso sways and the way the arms are held.

One thing I would really encourage you to change is the collision box. Since the animation has more bounce to it, so does the camera. I always notice this right away with custom running animations and find it really distracting, and over time, nauseating. But it's super easy to change - you just manually edit the collision box for each frame. As long as the top of the box remains consistent, you alleviate the bouncing. Of course, the collision is technically wrong, but it's not going to cause any issues.

Also, I think the acceleration might be a little too high. Lara has that effect of "gliding" across the floor. I've never experimented with changing the running acceleration, but I suppose it would mess up other variables, like the timing for jumps and such. So I'm not sure how one would go about adjusting that...less frames, perhaps?

Anyway, those are just some thoughts for you. I hope I don't sound too critical, it's better than anything I could create and it does look really good.
Hey! Thanks for the reply!
If I could be honest, I'm not sure if I agree about this running looking like a casual run for non threatening areas. What's the difference between a casual and non-casual run? The ideas I've had was so I could do a realistic, yet fast running animation that can beat the classic in any way.

Never imagined this running sounding manly. I've changed this animation soo many times and the torso was always a problem because it was too static. I've tried to make it rotate to the sides a bit more and that's a reason why it ended up being a lot better. Does anyone else think the same too?
As for the collision box, I've never had any issues with nausea myself, but changing it is something that can be done very fast and without any consequences. I was aware of it before but thank you for reminding me again! I'll do so!

I was already told before that maybe the acceleration should be slower, and I had to do so because originally the standing to running transition leads to frame 19 of the running animation, however mine somehow leads to only frame 15. This makes Lara's jumping reaction a few frames slower, making her fall.
The only solution was to slow her down a bit, which was quite convenient on my end.

I was replicating AoD's jumping animation, and in this video you can also see the transitions for the running animation:

Do you think the speed is good enough? If you notice when Lara's jumping from the flying blocks, her feet goes to the air. I'm not exactly sure if that happens on the classics, but do you think that's a big issue? Or can I keep things this way? I'm not really sure how can I fix it

It may be too many questions, but running animations is one of the most important things of a level, and I must be sure that these are the way people are pleased with
Old 04-03-19, 19:15   #2090
Caesum

Flying in the air for split of a second happens in the original games as well so nothing to worry about here. Better this than TRAOD where Lara falls even though she's practically finishing the animation. More disturbing is how Lara's hands are clipping with the floating blocks when climbing.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote