Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 13-08-17, 21:13   #21
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
True. TR2 is my favorite, though I think objectively TR4 is the one where they came closest to perfecting the formula.
I agree. TR II is also my favourite and I think that TR IV is all a TR game should be, though it lacks globe trotting. But I rather have a game set in just one location than developers squeezing as many locations into a game as possible like they've done in Legend and Underworld.

Quote:
Is that unpopular? Seems pretty common to me (I agree, for what it's worth).
Nope. A lot of people who think that TReboot is better than LAU also think that it's better than the classics.

Quote:
Who? Not joking, I really have no idea.
The black guy from ToO, the Lara Croft novel (don't know about the LC comics, though) and Relic Run (I think that he's only mentioned in the latter since I haven't finished it yet).
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 21:13   #22
tomee

- AoD is so goddamn overrated oh my god. Some people literally put it #1 on their lists in the series and praise and confuse what it COULD HAVE BEEN while completely ignoring what it actually is.

- TR1 is overrated as ****. Jesus Christ, I was so disappointed with the Atlantis section especially. I did not play the classics in chronological order (TR1 was actually one of my last) and after playing Temple of Xian/Floating Islands and the Antarctica section it was just such a disappointing finish to the first game.

- TRA > TR1
IDGAF they butchered some areas. Good riddance. The puzzles work a million times better and you really have to use your head. TRA actually had the best puzzles in the entire series. Don't argue with me.

- I thought this would be a popular opinion, but seeing these posts in this thread.... TRA > TRU > TRL. Legend was so linear and simple. It was fun to play but posed so little challenge, I could breeze through the entire game in one afternoon.

- TRU was a love letter to the classics and in my opinion they took a lot of fan feedback. It doesn't deserve all this disrespect from the fans.

- TRC was a really fun game for me. Even the Rome and Russia sections. It was the first classic that I had played and its slower, laid back style just clicked really well with me. It was fun to play. Shame for all the glitches in the last section though.

Quote:
Who? Not joking, I really have no idea.
I think it's that black archeologist guy in LC ToO.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 21:25   #23
Revenge

Hmmm let's see...

- Well I kinda like all eras.

- "Classic Lara", "LAU Lara" and "Reboot Lara" aren't that different from eachother to me.

- I don't mind the plotholes and the incoherences in the stories.

- And as well I like how absurd and "cliché" the story is in TR. It's kind of a TR mark to me. A TR game with a really developped story, with complex characters and breathtaking narrative would more freak me out than anything else And how it revolves around the few cliché characters that Lara encounters.

Last edited by Revenge; 13-08-17 at 21:27.
Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 21:37   #24
Blue_light

- Anniversary is a decent remake.
- TR2 is overrated.
- The Reboot games are overrated.
- Anniversary is by far the best of the CD Games.
- I enjoy the bike sections in Legend.
- Anniversary's locations are gorgeous, the puzzles are creative and diverse, and the platforming is fun.
- Anniversary is essentially what any modern TR game should be like, only adding a few improvements, like keeping the combat of the Reboot.
- The Cairo sections were pretty ok.
- I don't mind Lud's Gate.
- I don't like the India section in TR3, apart from Temple Ruins.
- TR4 has the best story.
- Anniversary could've worked as an origin story.
- Anniversary Lara is the prettiest Lara.
- Judith Gibbins's voice never fit Lara.
- Colin O'Malley and Troels B. Folmann back to compose TR music, please.
- I never cared for Lara as a character.
- The constant "aha" in TR2 kinda bugged me back when I played it.
- The best thing of TR2013, other than the combat, was the secret chime sound from TR1.
- I despise The River Ganges level.
- I don't like KV5 and Valley of the Kings levels either.
- The Classic TR games have perfect regular controls, and anyone who says otherwise either sucks at games, or hasn't played any game with really goddawful controls, like 'Tunguska: Legend of Faith'.
- Zip and Alister's commentary was actually what made Legend more fun for me. But don't make something like it present in other games.
- TR1 is awesome, and deserves all the love it gets.
- Legend has the worst combat.

Will think of more in a few moments.
Blue_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 21:43   #25
Chamayoo

Quote:
Okay, how about century then?
Mmmmmm no.
I hope you'll find a better TR game than LC GO in your taste in the next decades.

Quote:
True. TR2 is my favorite, though I think objectively TR4 is the one where they came closest to perfecting the formula.
I think exactly like you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
- I love the length of TR4 , and it never felt like it was too much.
I agree it was the perfect length. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
- I like the Soviet Installation in Rise .
Like it too. It is the best hub area of the Reboot series (yet ) with the Geothermal Valley.
Lovely visuals, some platforming and we really search for tombs. Kudos to the one (the Ancient Cistern I guess) where we had to drop a trunk to open the pit. That really was a nice touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Simplicityy View Post
This might not be opinionated, but I liked RotTR's musical score FAR more than TR 2013.
I'm with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Simplicityy View Post
Really liked Blood Ties.
Not unpopular. I remember it was pretty well received ! :0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
TRA actually had the best puzzles in the entire series. Don't argue with me.
I think I agree. Certainly beyond the best of the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
- TRU was a love letter to the classics and in my opinion they took a lot of fan feedback. It doesn't deserve all this disrespect from the fans.
I agree and that is why it's my favourite TR from Crystal (not only LAU). It was clumsy at times but I highly appreciate the intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge View Post
- Well I kinda like all eras.
The same !

Last edited by Chamayoo; 13-08-17 at 22:05.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 22:13   #26
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_light View Post
- TR1 is awesome, and deserves all the love it gets.
How is that an unpopular opinion? If anything, a lot of people use TR I as the standard for how a TR game should be.

I really wonder how people can like the motorbike sections in Legend. I wouldn't mind them if it wasn't for these godawful controls! But maybe it's that: Maybe these people haven't played games with decent motorbike controls like GTA V.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 22:23   #27
Nigel Cassidy

- AoD is not a Tomb Raider game from a genre and tone perspective. It's a horror-thriller, not an Indiana Jonesian action adventure.
- Legend went back to the roots from that perspective.
- AoD Lara is so unlikable she's the textbook example on how to write a bad female character.
- ... together with Angelina Jolie's Lara.
- It's a good thing that Crystal D took over, because it seems that Core D was pretty much done with what Tomb Raider is supposed to be. With Crystal D we got what Tomb Raider ought to be... at least for a few more years...
- Core's Anniversary game wasn't gonna be better than Crystal's. It looked like they copied a lot of things from Legend anyway.
- Legend motorcycle chases are awesome.
- Underworld was an unfinished, unfocused, anticlimactic mess that retconned way to much from Legend for no reason.
- Optional tombs are a good thing.
- And so are white ledges.
- And so are gunfights against men with guns, much better than animal enemies.

There, how's that for unpopular? And I didn't even talk about the reboot. I love being heretical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
  • Tomb Raider would be better off dead or on hiatus than being kept "alive" in its current form.
When the Mongolian warlord Temujin, before he became the Great Khan, learned that his wife was captured by a rival tribe he said: 'at least she is alive'. One of his men said: 'for women there is a fate worse than death.' To which Temujin answered: 'no there isn't. Nothing is worse than death, for with death all hope is lost.'
I'm with Temujin on that, it's better for your love to be raped than to be dead.

Last edited by Nigel Cassidy; 13-08-17 at 22:34.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 22:36   #28
Patrick star

Some people are mixing between "Unpopular in general" and "Unpopular on TRF" If anything , my previous post is mostly about the latter .

@Chamayoo : My love for the Soviet Installation comes mostly from it being a guilty pleasure Frozen and abandoned half-destroyed WWII installations in the middle of nowhere intrigue and interest me to no ends , I just love exploring places like that and platforming around them , I joyfully clapped at that pic of Lara overlooking that sexy Russian installation in the GI magazine reveal I also love Kazakhstan (Legend) , The Base (Chronicles) and pretty much the entirety of The Golden Mask for this very reason Though Soviet Installation was also good on its own too imo , it also had the Voice of God tomb which is probably my favorite in the game .

I have to add a new one though : I love the Classic rope swinging

Last edited by Patrick star; 13-08-17 at 22:40.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 22:37   #29
Moosey

I really love LAU. Especially Anniversary. While they might not have the best storylines, neither did the classics. I just have great, mindless, feel-good fun playing them, and that makes them good games in my eyes. The weakest was probably Underworld (although I don't think that's an unpopular opinion), but I adore the Thailand and Mediterranean Sea levels. Anniversary was the best one. The Lost Valley and St. Francis' Folly were great and I really loved the Croft Manor story Also Keeley Hawes is brilliant in my eyes
Overall favourite game of the series is TR2 though

Last edited by Moosey; 13-08-17 at 22:38.
Moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 22:38   #30
Patrick star

^Aside from your first sentence , there's really nothing unpopular about your post
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote