Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Raider Next Generation

Old 23-10-13, 07:56   #1
LGG_PRODUCTION

Default Springboards

Hello everyone, I know that there is a flip effect that allows Lara to jump higher, but it's necessary the pression of alt button.
In TR2 there is a tile that makes Lara jump very high without any key, and it also makes an animation that repeats everytime Lara goes on it.
With TRNG is possible to make Lara jump high when she touch the platform?
In which slot should be the platform object, so that it can play its animation every time Lara touches it?
Thanks in advance
LGG_PRODUCTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-13, 08:42   #2
mizuno_suisei

I'm not incredibly skilled with the NGLE (yet) but perhaps there could be a flipeffect that could 'force' the game to press a specific key ingame (in this circumstance, the ALT/JUMP key) when Lara pad triggers onto a certain square, and then in conjunction with a gravity effect/jumping higher trigger and perhaps an animated moving springboard underneath, could possibly work quite well! Just a random thought
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-13, 13:00   #3
Krystian

^ Yes, I'm pretty sure such a setup should work.
There is a flipeffect that, when triggered, simulates the recievement of some keyboard command, along with the duration of it. To be specific, it's this one:
Code:
Keyboard. Simulate receivement of <&>keyboard comand in (E) way
Another option would be to force the jumping animation (77) when lara steps on the tile.

Then this flipeffect could be placed on the same sector:
Code:
Lara. (Physics) Vertical. Attract Lara <&>up/down with (E)speed
Of course, the speed will need adjustment to get it working as it should.

On a side note, there are also special fragmented trigger conditions that can allow for only a specific part of the sector to work as a springboard, if there is such a need

As for the actual object doing an animation, I don't think there is a such an object that can repeat some animation whenever lara steps above it (correct me if I'm wrong).
However, there is an action trigger that allows forcing a specific animation on any object, and this trigger could be placed on the tile as well
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-13, 13:44   #4
MagPlus

In addition to what is already said,

you can also use a GlobalTrigger that will test if Lara touches the object, with the condition trigger "Collision Lara is touching #Moveable" or "Collision Lara is touching some moveable of #Slot type".

I think this way is better, because you can set up many other things in triggergroups and organizers to simulate your springboard effects, like animations, sounds, delays, etc...

Trying to stack many triggers (action and/or flipeffects) in NGLE may cause strange bugs when playing the game. Always try to export them in triggergroups.

BTW, the trigger that forces an object to play a specific animation is "Action Force &animation". But, you have to trigger the object before using this trigger. So, place your specific animation(s) in number 1 and after, and let the number 0 with nothing.

Last edited by MagPlus; 23-10-13 at 13:46.
MagPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-13, 03:39   #5
mizuno_suisei

The only issue I can think of with all of this is is the animation side because;

- If you run forward onto the springboard square, NGLE forces ALT/JUMP meaning lara will jump FORWARD while going vertical which you don't want.

- If you jump directly onto the springboard square, lara will do her stand up straight animation, then jump upwards as if she's just jumping stationary as usual once the ALT/JUMP trigger is enabled.

Perhaps a force Lara animation might be nescessary here. Really looking forward to learn about these kind of things
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-13, 12:41   #6
Krystian

Well, you can use condition triggers for different situations. For example, enable the keyboard flipeffect only if lara is doing the running animation (0) or landing animation (92), which would avoid making lara jump straight up. But using this many triggers would require using a triggergroup so it would work properly.

I've done some tests with this and it recreates the actual springboard effect rather well

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
- If you run forward onto the springboard square, NGLE forces ALT/JUMP meaning lara will jump FORWARD while going vertical which you don't want.
Not quite sure if I understood correctly, but the effect you achieve is simply a jump that has a higher altitude, so lara doesn't go straight up
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-13, 14:02   #7
TR-Freak
Unverified

Make a new 1-frame animation in Wadmerger (like animation 11 of Lara)
whcih has the "Grab Position" Command in it, which pushes Lara in the air.
then simply play this animation with the condition, that Lara touches the springoard.

I haven't done this, but theoretically it works.
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-13, 15:23   #8
Niveus

One option that I have tested before is using a dummy room underneath the tile of the springboard, with the portal set as toggle opacity 2, allowing an opaque texture to hide the dummy room, if that's making any sense.

The trigger for the physics flipeffect can then be placed on the floor of the dummy room (the Upwards proportional (Always regardless of jump/fall phase) argument works best in conjunction with Lara "falling", and 13 seems a fair speed).

This way when Lara runs across the portal, she performs her "just fell off a ledge" animation as she is shot up in the air like in TR2.

Of course you will need some "inhibitors" like conditions or vertical triggers to make sure Lara can't be pushed upwards when she jumps over the springboard (as a PAD trigger on the portal won't work here, apparently), and so that she won't spring so high. If you are well versed in scripting and conditions then this shouldn't be too difficult and although it is a little arduous, an infallible Springboard that need only be scripted once is perfectly possible.

Last edited by Niveus; 24-10-13 at 15:24.
Niveus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-13, 18:22   #9
Titak

Moved to the TRNG section since TRNG is used.

Interesting discussion btw.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-13, 18:48   #10
LGG_PRODUCTION

Unfortunately I'm not so good in scripting, but thanks for the help
LGG_PRODUCTION is offline   Reply With Quote