Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 10-11-23, 15:40   #1
Catapharact

Arrow Lest We Forget: 2023

Remembrance Day officially will be on November 11th / 2023 but I decided to make the thread now since we will be quite busy on Saturday.

What is Remembrance day?

Quote:
Today is Nov. 11th; Remembrance Day. Its a day marked and observed by most commonwealth countries in honour of those who have served and died for their homelands. As most of you know, WW1 ended at Nov. 11th 1918 at the 11th hour... At the 11th month and because of that, this day is observed for all those vets who went and served their nation and those who are still serving.

So, if you happen to be part of a Commonwealth nation, wear the Poppy proudly.

Most commonwealth nations wear the Poppy for Remembrance Day; A day upon where we reflect on the sacrifices Canada's and other Commonwealth nation Soldiers have made. The poppy is a symbolic reference of the blood sacrifice made by soldiers in the poem "In Flanders Fields" by Lieutenant Colonel John Alexander McCrae in WW1.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

So take the time to Remember and give a moment of silence on November 11th / 2023 at 11:00 AM; On the 11th Month, on the 11th Day and on the 11th Hour.
Catapharact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-23, 21:28   #2
Dennis's Mom

I can still hear Ms. Bolton, my college American History teacher intone, "on the 11th day of the 11th month at the 11th hour" in class.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-23, 12:08   #3
Blackmoor

I didn't see this thread before I posted some pictures in the pic of the day thread about Rememberance weekend in the UK, which I won't repeat here just the link if anyone is interested:

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...postcount=9874
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-23, 22:12   #4
Catapharact

Arrow

Very beautiful Blackmoor . We were invited and attended a Remembrance Day Ceremony today at York Cemetery where the cenotaph was erected for to remember the Canadian Soldiers who fought and died in WW1, WW2 and the Korean War.

There was a Canadian Harvard 2 Aircraft flyby:

Last edited by Catapharact; 16-11-23 at 00:20.
Old 15-11-23, 19:00   #5
.snake.

I think you Canadians (thanks to your strong British influences) do Remembrance Day beautifully. Generally, Canada and the UK do it better. I particularly like the poppies, which aren’t really a thing in America.

The day doesn’t receive as much recognition in the US, unless you are in the armed forces, even though it is a public holiday. It’s particularly overlooked in NYC where it’s just a small parade compared to most parades we have here. Also, this year was definite chaos due to pro-Palestine demonstrations about 3 times the size which disrupted the Veterans Day parade.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-23, 05:18   #6
xtimz

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
The day doesn’t receive as much recognition in the US, unless you are in the armed forces, even though it is a public holiday.
I remember USA has another day, around May to June?
xtimz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-23, 06:25   #7
.snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtimz View Post
I remember USA has another day, around May to June?
The US has Memorial Day in May, but I am talking about the US Veteran's Day which coincides with the Canadian Remembrance Day.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-23, 16:28   #8
Catapharact

Arrow

The Poppy IMO is an beautiful symbol for Remembrance Day and it hits even closer to home for Canada given that the Author who penned the Poem "In Flander's Fields" was a Canadian Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae; A wartime Physician in the Royal Canadian Armed Forces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Flanders_Fields

I used to hear a lot of push back when I was in University from Snot nosed Brats who were under the impression that the Poppy was a symbol to celebrate war and how they refused to wear it because of Canada's involvement in the Afghan War.

To that I say, sure... You are free to think what you want and do what you want, but keep in mind that you can do all of that because someone in Uniform decided to fight and die on your behalf.

I will continue to wear the Poppy with Pride every Remembrance Day.

Last edited by Catapharact; 16-11-23 at 16:32.